Hardware Do you think I need to change of motherboard?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So yea
Next year, I might buy a GTX 2060, but first, I need to know
To run it at its full potential, do I need to change my motherboard?
I bought my computer pre-built in 2012 and never changed the motherboard

What do you think?
If you need more information, don't hesitate to ask
thanks

EDIT : For now, I'm using a GTX 1060 6GB, do you think this one is used at its full potential as well?
thanks again

Last edited by Noctosphere,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Modern graphics cards do not saturate 16 lanes of PCIe bandwidth so whether your motherboard has PCIe 2 or PCIe 3, there’s less than 5% difference in performance (generally).

The only time you might need to upgrade your motherboard is if you’re upgrading to a new CPU, or if the new motherboard has specific features you might need (e.g being SFF for a new case).

Reactions: Noctosphere

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Modern graphics cards do not saturate 16 lanes of PCIe bandwidth so whether your motherboard has PCIe 2 or PCIe 3, there’s less than 5% difference in performance (generally).

The only time you might need to upgrade your motherboard is if you’re upgrading to a new CPU, or if the new motherboard has specific features you might need (e.g being SFF for a new case).
alright, thanks
Also, my cpu is an old intel i7-2600
I've been told it's not necessary to upgrade it
because most of games rely on gpu much more than on cpu
does that still stand?

Spoderman80s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes and No, I mean if all the games you want to play are running fine for you, don't change right now, if you want to change your CPU later you will need to change your motherboard and also your RAM (DDR4 instead of DDR3).

Kingy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You only need to upgrade your motherboard if you have to upgrade your CPU (assuming the upgrade is on a different socket.)
In most situations, the GPU should work as long as it fits and is given enough power, but may not perform as decently with a low-performance CPU than normal.

EDIT: not gonna say you're wrong for considering a 2060 (we know next to nothing about it), but Navi may be interesting. You should also see Navi's performance when it is potentially revealed in January.

Last edited by Kingy,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You only need to upgrade your motherboard if you have to upgrade your CPU (assuming the upgrade is on a different socket.)
In most situations, the GPU should work as long as it fits and is given enough power, but may not perform as decently with a low-performance CPU than normal.

EDIT: not gonna say you're wrong for considering a 2060 (we know next to nothing about it), but Navi may be interesting. You should also see Navi's performance when it is potentially revealed in January.
Navi?
whats that?
other than link's fairy

Kingy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Navi?
whats that?
other than link's fairy
Navi is the GPU architecture being developed by AMD that'll be using the 7nm process. AMD seems to belive that it'll be high-performance, but we'll have to see in Janurary. Still though, 7nm is great (better than what Nvidia's using), and I expect it to do very well. Before Navi comes, Vega 7nm is gonna release.

DVStnVX.png

Last edited by Kingy,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Navi is the GPU architecture being developed by AMD that'll be using the 7nm process. AMD seems to belive that it'll be high-performance, but we'll have to see in Janurary. Still though, 7nm is great (better than what Nvidia's using), and I expect it to do very well. Before Navi comes, Vega 7nm is gonna release.

AMD-2018-GPU-roadmap-1024x275.jpg
alright, thanks for the info

thanks everyone

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AMD-2018-GPU-roadmap-1024x275.jpg
By the way your image is broken

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you game at 1080p, I think you would see a decent performance gain going from sandybridge to coffeelake and keeping the 1060. The only problem is that the cost to upgrade cpu+motherboard+ram is rather a lot. I would stick with what you have until you find your pc struggling to play the games you want to play and then think about a full upgrade at that point.

Kingy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would stick with what you have until you find your pc struggling to play the games you want to play and then think about a full upgrade at that point.
By the time that happens, he's may more better off going Zen/Zen 2 than coffee lake, lower prices + more cores for like a 2fps drop (Not for Zen 2, IPC will be better). A CPU upgrade isn't a huge deal, anyways. As long as the PC doesn't bottleneck, he's fine with his 2nd gen CPU for quite some time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool