Do you think FFTA2 hit chance is a fake?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by deathfisaro, Jun 28, 2008.

?

Do you think FFTA2 hit chance is a fake and the game is cheating?

  1. Obviously yes

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. On some occasions I have doubts

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. There's no way the game's cheating

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. deathfisaro
    OP

    deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

    Member
    2,053
    0
    Mar 16, 2007
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
    I know some people don't trust hit rate in games.

    They think the game cheats by generating a number that works against you as much as possible.

    I've noticed people start to doubt when they don't get a desirable outcome at a critical moment.



    I think, the only reason you think the game is cheating is because people take success as granted.
    10 of 85% hits in a row wouldn't make you think "Oh wow, I've been hitting exceptionally well", but two of 50% misses would make you go "WTF that's not 50%"

    It may be just me, but I realize above-average outcomes (that's more hits than expected). And I get as many below-average outcomes (more misses than expected).

    I find the game very fair.

    Three misses of 99% in a row? Totally possible and not weird when it happens.



    Here's a short example-ish quiz. I think the results will show that not everbody thinks logically, and can be tricked into believing faulty things.

    You flipped a coin 10 times. And you got 10 heads. The chance of getting 10 heads in a row is 1/1024 ~= 0.1%. Now you're going to flip the same coin again, but you need to bet first. Are you going to bet on heads, or tails? And why?
     
  2. pasc

    pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

    Member
    2,612
    150
    Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    well, the game is fair, thats for sure, and I'm fine with it...


    but... NO MULTIPLAYER ? :wtf:
     
  3. Virusak

    Virusak GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    121
    0
    Jul 8, 2007
    agree
    wtf did they think when they let it out without multiplayer???
     
  4. jabjab

    jabjab GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    387
    0
    Apr 21, 2008
    United States
    heads - you didn't give enough info so it could be double headed or weighted and if its fair just as well to bet on heads as tails.
     
  5. Toni Plutonij

    Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

    Former Staff
    8,153
    315
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    Depths of Nuclear powerplant
    I'd bet on heads.....Even though I got it 10 times in a row, it doesn't change my chance of 50%-50% now....So, it doesn't actually matters..
    I'd bet heads..
     
  6. Satangel

    Satangel BEAST

    Member
    10,255
    557
    Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Yeah, I think it's fake.
     
  7. Killermech

    Killermech Cookie Monster

    Member
    1,809
    2
    Mar 5, 2004
    I think it's fake too. Atleast when it's the cpu vs you. I did the negotiation trial yesterday where you have to beat those bunnies.
    They cast that charm spell on every single one of my players, considering it said the chances were 60% to get affected by it. They didn't fail once,
    I did that trial about 4-5 times and they didn't fail a single time to charm my players. Cheating motha....... bunnies!
     
  8. camx

    camx GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    372
    0
    Nov 17, 2003
    United States
    colorado USA
    I basically agree with deathfisaro. More or less luck? Does the game try to "cheat" you? There is no point to that argument, seeing as I've seen plenty of CPU controlled opponents come in for a critical HP or KO hit and miss. Original PS1 FFTA man... I remember having a party of 3 archers and each one missing at the start of the round and basically having to restart... over and over and over... That's why I think this game is much easier/fairer than that...
     
  9. suppachipmunk

    suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    400
    0
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    Totally off topic. But I haven't gotten the game yet. Hasnt come to local retailers yet (walmart).

    But NO MULTIPLAYER??? Do you mean no co-op or vs, not even the crappy battle like in FFTA?

    What is the point of the wi-fi in this game?
     
  10. zidane_genome

    zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

    Member
    2,320
    0
    May 21, 2006
    United States
    50% doesn't mean you'll hit 50% of the time... it means you have a 50/50 chance of getting a hit THAT attack. Just flip a coin 4 times. Now, how many times did you guess correctly? You had a 50/50 chance to guess correctly.

    I'm guessing this is how the game generates the hits...

    % chance = 50
    generate random number 1-100
    if random number =51 then miss

    and that will work with any hit percentage;

    % chance = 95
    generate random number 1-100
    if random number =96 then miss

    just remember, it's PER ATTACK... so even if you have a 95% chance of hitting, you might have the bad luck of getting 2 or 3 misses! it's all chance!
     
  11. Hyperlisk_

    Hyperlisk_ GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    187
    0
    Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    If it were double-headed, the chance of getting a heads 10 times in a row would be 100%
    If it were weighted, the chance of getting a heads 10 times in a row wouldn't be 1/1024 due to a different chance.
    Since coins are generally two-sided(I've yet to see oen that's not), it is fair to assume that it is a fair coin with a different value on each face (e.g. heads or tails).


    As for FFTA2, I think the percentages are... weird... The CPU has missed on a 99% one before... I was like =O And you can easily hit people from the front when it would have been different in another FFT game.
     
  12. zidane_genome

    zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

    Member
    2,320
    0
    May 21, 2006
    United States
    even with 99%, there's still that 1% to miss... and it does happen!

    Just explaining this to the wife...

    if you flip a coin 2ce, both times you get a 50/50 chance... COMBINED, that's a 25% chance of getting it right both times. So, when you get two 50% hit chance's in the game in a row, COMBINED that's a 25% chance to hit...
     
  13. Noitora

    Noitora ::

    Member
    3,765
    0
    Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    My 95% attacks have missed twice so I'll vote for the 2nd option.
     
  14. Doomsday Forte

    Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

    Member
    1,272
    0
    Apr 22, 2007
    United States
    I too have noticed this. It's weird, missing on attacks with at least 95% to hit, and attacks with less than 30% seem to hit constantly (unlike Killermech's example above, I had a 60% chance to get hit by the Charm effect from the Dreamhares and every single one MISSED somehow). Of course, this sorta came into effect with the one with you against 3-6 of the Fairy enemies who like to cast Slow. My Moogle never got hit by it until at least the fifth casting.

    It's not so much that I'd miss at all with high-percentage attacks, but its' happened often enough to make me wonder. But it has worked in my favor as I've had some of my units in low HP survive for an obscene number of rounds by evading everything that has less than an 87% chance to hit. XD
     
  15. Jiggah

    Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

    Member
    1,223
    1
    Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    The coin tosses are independent of each other so you still have a 50/50 chance when betting on either heads or tails on that next roll.
     
  16. ZAFDeltaForce

    ZAFDeltaForce Specialist

    Member
    2,786
    208
    Sep 9, 2006
    Senegal
    Its hard to believe the hit rate system is credible, after missing twice in a row with 99% accuracy on a number of occasions, especially when you have Agility2 Clan Privilege activated.
     
  17. Jiggah

    Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

    Member
    1,223
    1
    Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    The probability that out of two hits at 99% that you'll hit both times is really only 98.01%.

    The probability that both would miss falls to .0001% or .01%. Dang that's just straight up unlucky
     
  18. asuri

    asuri GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    465
    0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Canada
    Kinda realized it when i got the guest with jump, he like never successfully landed it.
     
  19. Vater Unser

    Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,184
    0
    Oct 28, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Pen Island
    Uhm, the actual chances of this happening are literally one in a million (as in 0,000001%). Of course it's still possible in theory, but fuck that, if that happens to you the game is obviously cheating [​IMG]
     
  20. Killermech

    Killermech Cookie Monster

    Member
    1,809
    2
    Mar 5, 2004
    The hit rates could also be based on what the actual hit rate would be not taking the opponents stats into consideration.
    Like in theory you can hit target X 99% from the front if it was a 0 stat dummy.
    But if like the target has an evasion rate of maybe 10, then in reality the actual hit rate would be like 60% without you actually knowing it.