Do you think Donald Trump is mentally ill?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by leafeon34, Apr 4, 2018.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    For a long time now I've suspected Donald Trump suffers from some sort of mental illness. I never gave it much thought, only that his behaviour just doesn't seem normal. Yesterday while browsing Youtube I found this. The arguments presented in the video sound logical, but I'm not a psychologist and logical sounding arguments aren't necessarily true.

2. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    I don't think he's mentally ill, he's just naturally a douche. Also we really need to stop perpetuating the stigma of mental illness imo, just because someone does bad things doesn't automatically mean that they're mentally ill.

Eix, fedehda, DrkBeam and 22 others like this.
  3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    He's self absorbed and has a rich person complex. I don't think he has a mental illness - he's within the norm. The problem is he has so much power that he doesn't have to act like a normal person, and so he does whatever he wants.

If Trump was a normal joe with real consequences he would shape up in no time.

4. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    I don't think so. It's his personality that's the problem in my opinion.

Eix, JiveTheTurkey and x65943 like this.
  5. Whole lotta love
    This message by Whole lotta love has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 4, 2018, Reason: One word post.
    Apr 4, 2018
  6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I think he's an idiot and a narcissist, but loves attention and is a decent actor. I don't think there's anything mentally wrong with him, though, nor do I think it's appropriate (or fair) to call him mentally unstable...

... although not for the reason you may think. By calling him mentally ill, you're excusing all of the racist, nationalist, sexist, classist, and homo/transphobic rhetoric and legislation that has originated from him over the last two years

kbmarinha, Eix, VartioArtel and 4 others like this.
  7. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Yes he's mentally ill, it was all because of that Stone Cold Stunner.

JiveTheTurkey, epickid37 and ov3rkill like this.
  8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well no politician is mentally stable, otherwise they wouldn't have become a politician.

9. TotalInsanity4
    This message by TotalInsanity4 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 4, 2018, Reason: Not an imageboard.
    Apr 4, 2018
  10. dAVID_

dAVID_ Carpinter's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Yeah you don't need to have a mental disorder to be a douchebag.

DrkBeam, Bosca, DarthDub and 5 others like this.
  11. SG854

SG854 Honor

Feb 17, 2017
    Colombia
    Highly successful business men can be classified as having NPD. They have high belief in themselves to cocky levels. But their cockiness is what creates new products that benefits lots of people. So if they did have NPD then its actually a positive and beneficial to society.

Just like people with ADD can be very creative, and think of doing things in new ways for old problems. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Michael Faraday had ADHD that worked in their favor. A personality disorder may not be completely dysfunctional for a person. And a personality disorder is not necessarily a mental illness.

12. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Calling Trump a "highly successful businessman" is a stretch at best. Sure, he has his name on a lot of stuff, but interviews with people who have been around him for long enough say he doesn't know dick about contracts or policy and when "negotiating" either coasts on name recognition or lets lawyers do the talking

13. punderino

punderino aka Big-PeePee Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    It doesn't matter how he gets it done, how he gets it done doesn't make it successful or not.

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ So unholy, sister of grace

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    He does actually show some alarming signs of having a serious case of narcissistic personality disorder, compulsive liar, and a very obvious/untreated learning disability. He's extremely quick to make everything about him and take credit for literally everything, even if it's not his to take credit for. He literally can't keep straight a story and is willing to lie in order to give himself more credit. He reads at an extremely poor level and it's obvious that he's never really needed work on this issue, coupled with his refusal to keep note nor read anything. There are several underlining disorders, but I feel like they can be broken into the main three that I've noticed.

15. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    It's difficult to tell if he's mentally ill or mentally incapable. His experience in golden parachuting (squeezing a business till its last drop of money, then skipping out as the business collapses with a lot of cash in hidden accounts) gives him little experience in actually solving and acknowledging complex and real-world problems. Well, he tends to just pay people to put his name on things to artificially inflate the prestige of his name. When it comes to substance, he's lacking. So mental illness or inability to cope with reality, take your pick.

Last edited by osaka35, Apr 4, 2018
    TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  16. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Insane? No, an egomaniac? Yes

17. SG854

SG854 Honor

Feb 17, 2017
    Colombia
    So Trump has all the features of a narcissist. Problem is that Donald Trump does not qualify for narcissistic personality disorder in the DSM. In order to qualify someone has to experience lots of distress for their condition. And suffer lots of problems. Trump doesn't. He is actually rewarded for how he acts in business and politics. And lots of people praise Trump. Just because someone causes distress to others does not qualify them for Narcissistic Disorder.

Saying Donald Trump has a mental illness excuses him from all the bad things he's done. Because then it wouldn't be his fault for being the way he is. He does lot of bad things. And Bad behavior is not a mental illness. Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill had mental illness and had severe depression but were great leaders. If we say Trump has a mental illness then it stigmatizes people that are actually mentally ill, that are also people that try to be nice people and well meaning. We would think less of them and think they will become another Trump. This is a problem when people who are not experts in the field and just randomly throw around the mental illness accusation.

Problem is that it's hard to get psychiatrists thoughts on Donald Trump because its against their ethics to diagnose someone they haven't met.
    And they can't disclose someones mental health publicly unless they have permission. And many psychiatrists were honoring that. There were some that did publicly do but were attacked for being unprofessional.

Last edited by SG854, Apr 4, 2018
  18. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    He's not mentally ill, he's a showman who knows exactly what he doing.

Trump is not scared of the media like presidents before him have been, he didn't need them to win an election and has proved they can't touch him regardless of what he says / does.

19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ So unholy, sister of grace

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I am not disagreeing, as none of us know his personal life. He could be struggling with his actions and just not be publicly showing his struggles. We don’t know and like you said, it won’t even be public if he was diagnosed with an actual mental disorder.
    Side note, I hate that it only takes one bad apple to sigmatize everyone. If he does have a mental disorder that is contributing to his actions, that does not mean everyone dealing with mental illness are going to do the same. Not to mention mental illness does not excuse his actions, but so few would see it that way

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Apr 4, 2018
    TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  20. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    I don't like the guy, I don't think I'm qualified to say if he's mentally unstable or not.

What I will say is that he's made quite a few poor choices and regardless of how he's made them, I'm disappointed and expect more of a President and his judgment .

21. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yep
    Heh, I DEFINITELY wouldn't say that. He may have a game plan for exploiting people into liking him that he stumbled across ages ago, but now that he's President he's completely clueless as to what he's SUPPOSED to be doing and frankly doesn't seem to care to learn

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Say you're taking a standardized test and you see that the person next to you has an test correction sheet that they are using to fill in all the correct answers they got from the teacher just because the teacher likes them the most. WHEN they pass the test with flying colors, would you call them a successful test taker?

22. FierceDeityLinkMask

FierceDeityLinkMask GbaTemp's Official Deity

Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    He is undoubtedly mentally ill. 100% Proof!