Do you think bootmii should have hacks?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tux', Jun 7, 2009.

?

Example, region free, move disk channel etc.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jun 7, 2009
  1. Tux'
    OP

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Well, what do you think? If we have bootmii for safety, we have to have preloader for some of the hacks. What do you think?

2. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think it should have them so it's more useful, but that's not to say preloader doesn't do its job well.

My only concern is adding too many features may make it to big to fit on the Wii's boot2.

3. Fiesty Panda

Banned Fiesty Panda Banned

United States
    Yes, and what we should really have is a website with downloads for each possible combonation of system menu and serial number, where you download a zip that when you unpack straight to your SD card and run via bannerbomb, will install all necessary ios's cios's apps, channels, and bootmii.

4. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    BootMii is already the most h4x ever. XD

Anyway, I'm pretty sure system menu hacks aren't the aim of BootMii. I also think that since they're specific to system menu version and region they're better left to people who have the time to work them out and make easy applications to enable them.

5. Devvar

Newcomer Devvar Advanced Member

Australia
    I agree with FenrirWolf, that's not the point of BootMii. Brick protection was just a side effect of having a boot2 BootMii.

6. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No, no, no, no and ... no.

Bootmii is not meant for this at all. Bootmii was designed for us to be able to "catch" Wii booting before it even hits the system menu. It gives us the opportunity to use the system the way WE choose, and "region free", "move disc channel", blah blah means nothing to the people who boot2 into their own OS eventually [​IMG]

7. twofive

Member twofive GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    BootMii can't have hacks, because it loads boot2, which loads the IOS, which loads the System Menu.
    So there is no way BootMii will ever be able to do memory patches to the system menu, because BootMii is already unloaded before it comes to the System Menu part.
    The only way it would be able to accomplish that is doing a permanent patching which Team Twiizers would never implement.

On the Wii is only a SD loader code. The menu and the other stuff is all saved to SD card, which is why the menu only comes up if a SD is inserted.

-- twofive

8. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    bootmii's aim is NOT these preloader hacks guys, its aim is low-level hacks, which is kinda different. It is supposed to be independent of the wii's IOS, therefore won't hack them like preloader.
    Besides, so many nubs screw up their system with preloader so keeping bootmii the perfect backup is a great idea for them.

9. skedone

Member skedone GBAtemp Fan

United States
    guys help me out i installed bootmii but i cant remember what mode boot2 or ios can anyone tell me how i would know for sure

10. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Does your Wii launch BootMii right when you turn it on? It's in boot2. If not, it's in IOS254.

Another way to check is to run the installer again.

11. skedone

Member skedone GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yeah it runs it first thanks for that mate is the boot2 the only way it does that

12. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    dont care, i cant run it in boot 2 anyways so its useless to me

13. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    As people said, it probably wouldn't be in line with Team Twiizer's interests, however it would be cool to be able to patch system menu without actually permanently changing it (like preloader still does by renaming/moving/replacing it).

However I believe that this could be achieved without relying on Team Twiizers, because bootmii already has the ability to load it's own applications.
    Basically, someone could produce a bootmii compatible application that could in turn patch and load system menu.
    However I don't know if the resources are available, or so simple, to produce such a thing at the current time.

I'm not sure if the process you described is correct, but I'm not an expert...

14. ajd4096

Member ajd4096 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I agree, and I thank you for paying for the hosting.

15. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I think it was meant in jest!