Hacking Do you think bootmii should have hacks?

Example, region free, move disk channel etc.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it should have them so it's more useful, but that's not to say preloader doesn't do its job well.

My only concern is adding too many features may make it to big to fit on the Wii's boot2.

Fiesty Panda

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
Well, what do you think? If we have bootmii for safety, we have to have preloader for some of the hacks. What do you think?
Yes, and what we should really have is a website with downloads for each possible combonation of system menu and serial number, where you download a zip that when you unpack straight to your SD card and run via bannerbomb, will install all necessary ios's cios's apps, channels, and bootmii.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BootMii is already the most h4x ever. XD

Anyway, I'm pretty sure system menu hacks aren't the aim of BootMii. I also think that since they're specific to system menu version and region they're better left to people who have the time to work them out and make easy applications to enable them.

Devvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with FenrirWolf, that's not the point of BootMii. Brick protection was just a side effect of having a boot2 BootMii.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, no, no, no and ... no.

Bootmii is not meant for this at all. Bootmii was designed for us to be able to "catch" Wii booting before it even hits the system menu. It gives us the opportunity to use the system the way WE choose, and "region free", "move disc channel", blah blah means nothing to the people who boot2 into their own OS eventually
smile.gif

twofive

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
BootMii can't have hacks, because it loads boot2, which loads the IOS, which loads the System Menu.
So there is no way BootMii will ever be able to do memory patches to the system menu, because BootMii is already unloaded before it comes to the System Menu part.
The only way it would be able to accomplish that is doing a permanent patching which Team Twiizers would never implement.

s3phir0th115 said:
My only concern is adding too many features may make it to big to fit on the Wii's boot2.

On the Wii is only a SD loader code. The menu and the other stuff is all saved to SD card, which is why the menu only comes up if a SD is inserted.

-- twofive

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
bootmii's aim is NOT these preloader hacks guys, its aim is low-level hacks, which is kinda different. It is supposed to be independent of the wii's IOS, therefore won't hack them like preloader.
Besides, so many nubs screw up their system with preloader so keeping bootmii the perfect backup is a great idea for them.

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys help me out i installed bootmii but i cant remember what mode boot2 or ios can anyone tell me how i would know for sure

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does your Wii launch BootMii right when you turn it on? It's in boot2. If not, it's in IOS254.

Another way to check is to run the installer again.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
As people said, it probably wouldn't be in line with Team Twiizer's interests, however it would be cool to be able to patch system menu without actually permanently changing it (like preloader still does by renaming/moving/replacing it).

However I believe that this could be achieved without relying on Team Twiizers, because bootmii already has the ability to load it's own applications.
Basically, someone could produce a bootmii compatible application that could in turn patch and load system menu.
However I don't know if the resources are available, or so simple, to produce such a thing at the current time.

s3phir0th115 said:
My only concern is adding too many features may make it to big to fit on the Wii's boot2. Bootmii loads pretty much everything off the SD card, so no worries there
wink.gif
Boot2 doesn't need to be modified to add these functions, only the kernel.

QUOTE(twofive @ Jun 7 2009, 05:51 PM) BootMii can't have hacks, because it loads boot2, which loads the IOS, which loads the System Menu.
So there is no way BootMii will ever be able to do memory patches to the system menu, because BootMii is already unloaded before it comes to the System Menu part.
The only way it would be able to accomplish that is doing a permanent patching which Team Twiizers would never implement.
I'm not sure if the process you described is correct, but I'm not an expert...

ajd4096

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiesty Panda said:
Yes, and what we should really have is a website with downloads for each possible combonation of system menu and serial number, where you download a zip that when you unpack straight to your SD card and run via bannerbomb, will install all necessary ios's cios's apps, channels, and bootmii.

I agree, and I thank you for paying for the hosting.

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
ajd4096 said:
Fiesty Panda said:

I agree, and I thank you for paying for the hosting.
I think it was meant in jest!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night