• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you support marijuana legalization?

D

Deleted User

It should be legal for prescription medicine and clothes making, but I don't want druggies in my presence.

Reactions: AlexMCS

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be legal for prescription medicine and clothes making, but I don't want druggies in my presence.
Alcohol and tobacco are legal though so what is your point?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you want to make it even worse by throwing a third into the mix?

Except it's not creating more users. Those who use it are already out there using it regardless if it's legal or not where they live. It's only decriminalizing it for those who choose to use it. Imo it needs to be pushed exactly as that too, Marijuana Decriminalization, rather than as "Legalizing Marijuana".

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smoking it is just as bad as smoking cigarettes (wood smoke is worse), but edibles are perfectly safe. As it's safer than alcohol and cigarettes, it should be treated the same. It's only a problem if it's getting in the way of you doing what you want to be doing. Otherwise, who cares what you do in your spare time.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Definitely. Having worked in dispensaries I've seen all the people who rely on it as medication, as well as all the happiness it brings people who use it as a recreational drug.

You can overdose on damn near anything, including water, but you can't overdose on marijuana. Otherwise Snoop Dogg would be dead ten times over. It's literally the safest form of pain relief available anywhere, and the only reason it has remained illegal for so long is the propaganda campaign against it coming from big pharma and alcohol companies.

Except it's not creating more users. Those who use it are already out there using it regardless if it's legal or not where they live. It's only decriminalizing it for those who choose to use it. Imo it needs to be pushed exactly as that too, Marijuana Decriminalization, rather than as "Legalizing Marijuana".
Legalization comes with stricter regulations than decriminalization, though. It also includes sales through retail establishments. State/federal government can't get their piece of the pie via taxes otherwise, which removes much of their incentive to allow any sort of sales.

Last edited by Xzi,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you'd asked me 25 years ago, I would have said no. And ironically, I smoked weed back then. But because I had experience with it, and with seeing what the habit did to some of my friends, I thought it would be an overall negative on society. What did it do to my friends, you ask? It made them irresponsible wrt: school, job responsibilities. They partied till late night/early morning, then would oversleep and miss class or show up late to work. Get fired. Get bad grades. It's like turning the volume knob down on potential. I saw some who exercised self-discipline, and one person in particular kept me somewhat on the rails then. My roommate my junior year of college was a guy who had flunked out when he was 19, then went in the Army. Made sergeant in 5 years, then came back to school. He refused to go out drinking or smoke on school nights. He got blasted every Friday and Saturday night. I mean drunk, stoned, even coke which I didn't do. But on Sunday night, it was coffee and books again. He graduated Summa Cum Laude. Being about 7 years older was a big part of it too, but his insistence on "showing up right" was the real thing that made him succeed. Most potheads I've known though ... they just will not turn down a bong hit.

But now, I'm in favor of legalization, in spite of the "couch" effect. Why? Because the negative impact on society that comes from trying to prohibit it is worse than the decreased outcomes that most people who smoke weed will 'suffer.' Keeping marijuana illegal empowers and enriches scumbags on the dealer side, and nurtures a totalitarian tendency on the law enforcement / govt side. The "war on drugs" has resulted in damage to our liberty (decades of Court decisions narrowing the 4th amendment), created the militarization trend for police and sown public disdain for the law generally, and created a gang culture in inner cities which young people who grow up there must be a part of by default. Not to mention the lives lost and violence from the criminal black market activity that prohibition necessitates. All of this has had a far worse effect on us than some people being lazy stoners.

Legalize it. But when you smoke, stay home, walk, get an Uber. Just don't drive. (don't even start with "I drive better high." That's bullshit.)

Last edited by Hanafuda,
D

Deleted-401606

I'm not really a fan after what it did to derail my life for years.Took me a while to put that habit down and I just think too many people think it's good for your health to do it.

Reactions: AlexMCS

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was 15-16 I would have said no in heart beat.

Down south we were fed a ton of Anti-marijuana propaganda. We were told things like one joint had the same amount of tar in it as 5 cigarettes, that it was extremely addictive, and how it was as bad, if not worse, than crack cocaine and Heroin.

Sad to admit I even snitched to a few friends out my concern and not wanting them to end up as some kind of junkie.

Now I know many people that smoke and consume both for medicinal purposes and recreational, none of which have it impact their lives in any negative way. Should be legal everywhere In my opinion.

Last edited by SonowRaevius,
Reactions: CallmeBerto and Xzi

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Safer, less addictive, less harmful, does not cause the user to become abusive. Cigarettes and tobacco cause cancer much, much more than marijuana. Alcohol causes liver and kidney issues. The only reason marijuana is illegal is mostly due to misconceptions and stereotypes, even racism (marijuana is often seen as an "ethnic" drug). In the 60s marijuana also became associated with lsd, as so many were using both, and non users did not know the difference between effects of lsd (much more intense and mind altering) and marijuana. Smoke the good stuff though, no reggies. :) :toot:

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marijuana is an addictive substance with high potential for abuse. The business model around selling it always involves return sales and the people who sell it want you to get hooked. If used responsibly (which includes not smoking it) it can be beneficial for people who use it for medicinal purposes. Recreational use, when done moderately, is safer then using alcohol or harder drugs, but it is a gateway drug (see Colorado who moved from pot to now mushrooms). Smoking it is worse than smoking tobacco. You shouldn't really be smoking anything if you value your lungs.

I don't have a problem with legalizing it as I don't think it was the governments job to tell you what you should or shouldn't be putting in your body to begin with, but there are risks associated with legalizing it as it does impair your judgement and also can produce temporary or long lasting mental problems / disorders.

I've used it in the past and sadly the negative side effects (after a few years of chronic use) started to outweigh the positive effects so I stopped, but I now use CBD oil which is part of the marijuana plant and I greatly benefit from it (thanks to the current administration that legalized it).

I also voted to legalize marijuana as there are far worse substances we should be worried about.

Last edited by cots,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really a fan after what it did to derail my life for years.Took me a while to put that habit down and I just think too many people think it's good for your health to do it.
Not necessarily good for your health itself, no, but it's all in how you use it and how much you use it. I know I'm not the only one who likes to exercise while on sativa.

I now use CBD oil which is part of the marijuana plant and I greatly benefit from it (thanks to the current administration that legalized it).
Fact check: CBD containing below 0.1% THC has never been on the list of scheduled substances. The administration did move CBD with more than 0.1% THC from schedule 1 to schedule 5, meaning it's still illegal under federal guidelines, but 'less illegal.'

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: GhostLatte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: