do you still use VHS?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by xalphax, Nov 17, 2008.

?

do you still use VHS?

1. yes, often

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. rarely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. only dvd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. i thought betamax was the way to go

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. vhs? video2000 forever!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. laserdisc > anything else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 17, 2008

do you still use VHS? by xalphax at 12:41 AM (6,747 Views / 0 Likes) 83 replies

1. xalphax
    OP

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    whilst rewinding one of our old tapes i asked myself this...

some movies you just cant find on dvd, its a pain!

especially if you like old trash movies...

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Sometimes. I need it to turn on my TV/VCR. (I lost the remote and the power button broke) I press eject, put the tape back in and its on.

I don't even use DVD and will probably never see a Blu-Ray film, its all about the torrents for me.

3. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I do not even own a vhs/stand alone dvdplayer. I use my computer for most things media, the only dvd player i really have is in my ps2.

4. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    Rarely I would, especially for the oldies. I couldn't really watch the old stuff in hi-def, there's just something a bit anachronistic about watching it that way. Old home movies and cartoons are on VHS too, I couldn't relive my childhood any other way.

Nostalgia aside, that's just a small portion of my watching experience. Everything else 2000 afterward goes into the DVD player.

5. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    Nope. They annoy me somehow

6. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    i don't even watch tv anymore, so yeah i guess no.

7. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I dont have a VCR right now--lent to a friend. But all my favorites are on VHS and I just picked up several favorite episodes of Anime on VHS too [​IMG], but yeah, I watch VHS. I love those old tapes.

8. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    I don't personally but we have one that's still being used on a regular basis by my dad.

9. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yeah I still have a lot of movies on VHS that I like to watch from time to time.

10. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Only time I ever use VHS is to rip videos with my DVD recorder and then encode that on my computer. Mostly old home videos. So very rarely.

I hardly ever use "DVD video" DVDs. But I do use DVDs on occasion in my Xboxes (if the videos aren't being streamed over my network). [​IMG]

11. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Sometimes , I still have two recorders , but they aren't really used. Mainly only come out if I find an old tape and want it put on the computer.

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have a VHS kicking around and I do watch some of the older skateboarding videos I have on them. Xbox, network and whatever else rules the roost around here though.

Most films other than those have come out on DVD and usually got remastered and/or undubbed (some of the wire-fu/hong kong cinema films have atrocious dubbing).

I also do transfer of older films for some people but I have not done it in a while.

13. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I can't even use the machine anymore. I tried about 2 years ago and failed miserably.

14. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    mainly dvd's i still have a vcr but it's rarely used.

15. goodboy735

Member goodboy735 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I rarely watch any tapes, but i use my vcr almost every day because my ancient (I think about 10 yrs old) tv has no a/v inputs [​IMG]

16. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I still play them, mostly stuff I've got off the telly that I can't download or get on DVD. Also like to watch horror films, for some reason they seem better on video than DVD/AVI whatever.

17. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    All the time. My DVD player is a Sony. It has both a VHS player and DVD player/recorder. The dumb thing is that the DVD portion has a lock for many channels where it won't let me record shows on it (some copyright thing). So I have to first use the VHS player to record a video and THEN write the recorded tape to DVD. I may lose a ton of quality, but it lets me record copyright programs nonetheless. A rather useful loophole there.

Another thing that's only slightly related, but I wanted to ask if anyone knew. My Sony DVD player will not play burned DVD's that I burned on my PC. My PC DVD drive reads and plays these burned disks perfectly, but when I put it in my Sony one hooked up to the TV, it says "Disk Unreadable" or something. Any clues at how to fix this? I burned these disks from a disk image file (ISO) using CDBurnerXP. Like I said, they play and function EXACTLY as a DVD should work on my PC drive (including working menus), but my Sony won't read the disk. I realize this is probably a form of copy protection, but is there a way to get past this?

18. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

read your combi player instructions ...it may use only DVD+R media!

and not DVD-R media which is the most common cheaper format [​IMG]

for the record and the posting ... whats a VHS lol just kidding Replaced the ancient old PANASONIC VHS recorder/player a couple of years back for a DVD RECORDER, .....I never looked back ...

that and the invent of SKY+ or other Hard Disk based PVR type machines put that final NAIL in the coffin for VHS format.. although as above some PURISTS still use them like they do with VINYL records for that retro feel ...

Although to compare VHS and DVD/BLU-RAY quality is a little O.T.T. who wants to watch NICAM vs true 5.1/7.1 SURROUND SOUND!?

...moreso with a HORROR film .. NICAM video in crappy STEREO just does not create the same atmosphere [​IMG]

19. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I used to collect VHS tapes. Have about 300 left (sold some/gave some away/lost some etc) but I never use them anymore.

I've just spent the last few months grabbing all my old VHS off usenet in DIVX format so I can stick all the "originals" in a box in my attic. They take up too much room & I never use em.

I have an extremely rare copy of "street trash" where the VHS tape is too short for the movie. Cuts off the last 5 mins of the credits. This was an error that the quickly fixed & recalled all the copies that were like that. I still got mine [​IMG]

20. xalphax
    OP

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    @ granville

are you burning dvd+r? maybe the booktype is not set to dvd-r. you can change that in your burning program.

or even better: only use dvd-r and try some other brand media.

sony drives are known to be picky.