1. ps786

OP ps786 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Do I need to remove CPU heat shield and reapply thermal paste between CPU and copper foil when remounting heat sink? I understand you need to repaste the layer between copper foil and heat sink, but what about the layer underneath? The reason I am asking is when I am removing heatsink, I noticed the copper foil was lift up a few millimeters by the adhesion. Would this cause the paste underneath to shift?

Thanks!

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    I repaste every CPU/GPU heatsink of every bit of electronics equipment that has a CPU/GPU with heatsinks/active cooling that can be assembled and disassembled.

I'm actually shocked that there's people who don't do it.

3. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    yes, irrelevant of what device uses thermal paste.
    having an air bubble in between the die and the heatsink is an unacceptable mistake, even if it's wasteful to constantly reapply paste

4. MaxiBus

MaxiBus GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    He speaks about the gap between CPU and heat(?)shield. If he doesnt take it off, theres no need to reapply the stuff in my opinion.

5. ps786

OP ps786 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yes, I did it anyways but it turns out totally unnecessary. The slight upward movement when removing heatsink didn't affect thermal paste between heat shield and cpu. :D

squee666 likes this.
  6. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

United Kingdom
    I just remove the copper sticker and paste directly from heatsink to cpu because honestly the sticker does nothing and usually the thermal paste applied underneath is trashly done

ps786 likes this.
  7. ps786

OP ps786 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    When you turn the CPU shield over, there is a white strip surrounding copper foil. Did it came off when you remove the copper foil? I could be wrong but I think that strip is to insulate CPU caps from heatsink.

8. susi91

susi91 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Could be wrong too, but afaik thats a 'glue' coating or something like that..
    glues/connects the copperfoil and the shield together, i.e. electromagnetic shielding ;)

If you remove the foil, its hard to get the thing back in place. Ofc both sides of the foil needs thermal paste...

Last edited by susi91, Oct 26, 2020
  9. britain4

britain4 GBAtemp Fan

I’ve removed the copper foil on mine, it didn’t take the white insulation off.

Removed the copper foil and used MX4 when reassembling after the chip install and I haven’t really noticed a difference in cooling/fan speed either way.

ps786 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - reinstall, compound, heatsink