Do you reckon Nintendo will release Mario Kart 9 for the Switch?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,390
  • Replies 23
  • Likes 2
D

Deleted User

OP
I've been waiting years for this and yet, all we have on the Switch is the WiiU's Mario Kart 8 with improvements and new content (old now).

I'm still holding on to hope that Nintendo does, but years pass, and.. nothing.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly, but mario kart 8 is the best selling game on the switch according to that one article about animal crossing's sales. they may just wait until next generation due to that.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they won't. MK8 Deluxe is one of the best selling Mario Kart games (and one of Switch most "iconic" and popular games) and they have never developed more than 1 Mario Kart game per console. Releasing another Mario Kart game would confuse their consumer base. As much as I would love another one, there is no reason for them to release another one on the Switch.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if they do, it will be able to link up with your copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and be able to share content between the titles. My running theory is that there is little more to evolve with Mario Kart beyond 8 Deluxe, but they could throw in some unique gameplay mechanics to make it standout from 8 and make a case for being a separate game and not just DLC. Let's take for example if they bring back the Double Dash formula for 9 while still looking like 8 Deluxe overall. That's cool, 9 could be all Double Dash. But, if you have 8 Deluxe, how about they give you the ability to share content between the 2 titles, all the karts, racers, and tracks. But then, you could also choose which style you want to play each track in: standard 8 Deluxe format, or the Double Dash format. Suddenly, every track between both games can be experienced in ways that they couldn't initially in the game they were originally released for. Same goes for items, now you could choose to play with the 8 Deluxe item set, the 9 item set, or the combination of both item sets (assuming there would be different items in 9). It'd be a smart way to encourage players to get both games, while both titles could also exist as their own title in their own right without linking up. Guess in a sense, it'd be like a modern version of how Sonic & Knuckles could combine with Sonic 3.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart for Iphone is canon, and so is Bus Driver Waluigi

MKT_Artwork_WaluigiBusDriver.png

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they'd wait until the release of a new console or after sales of this one die down a little. Many, many years away.

I agree that there is no rush, but you'd think with the continued success of 8 Deluxe, that they'd consider adding DLC or expansions into that at this point. That'd just guarantee that the game could continue to make money for quite some time.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that there is no rush, but you'd think with the continued success of 8 Deluxe, that they'd consider adding DLC or expansions into that at this point. That'd just guarantee that the game could continue to make money for quite some time.
I think i'd be okay with some additional courses or battle courses. Maybe the next one will even have a story mode :P

D

Deleted User

OP
I mean, yeah, I expect they'll shit out another Mario Kart game for the Switch sometime next year, probably around April or May like the last game.

By that time the Switch is 4yrs out, still doable. MK8D is great, but really it's just the WiiU game repackaged.

No, they won't. MK8 Deluxe is one of the best selling Mario Kart games (and one of Switch most "iconic" and popular games) and they have never developed more than 1 Mario Kart game per console. Releasing another Mario Kart game would confuse their consumer base. As much as I would love another one, there is no reason for them to release another one on the Switch.

Each Nintendo console has had its own Mario Kart game, not a re-release of an old Mario Kart game.

Reactions: Moon164

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
And? Nintendo never released a MK game on mobile, but hey look we have one. Nintendo never re-released an old MK game on new hardware, but oh look we have one.

If you told someone 5 years ago you could play Mario Kart on your phone and Nintendo would release a lazy port of MK8 instead of a new one for their next gen console they would've called you crazy, but here we are.

Besides, there were a bunch of leaks and rumors from the beginning of this year that stated Nintendo absolutely had plans of a new Mario Kart releasing on switch this year, and then later it was said it was being delayed to 2021 because of Covid delays. https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/mario-kart-switch-delayed-2021/ <

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dont forget we need to bring Mario Kart Arcade GP DX to Switch if we can possibly get TeknoParrot emulator to work or else :)
Weird that you posted this at the very moment I was just about to comment that I would rather have a Mario Kart Arcade collection with all three arcade games than Mario Kart 9

Reactions: FanNintendo

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would take more new tracks as paid DLC, but Nintendo may feel this wouldn't be a profitable enough approach. Seems like it would be better than nothing at all, especially with the size of MK8's install base, unless MK9 is indeed being planned for release.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I sure hope so. I hope a full price port with barely anything new in it is not all we're getting. Mario Kart always sells well, and I think many, like myself, are getting bored of playing the same old game.

A few new DLC stages would be nice but I think if they were going to make DLC for MK8D they would have already done so a while ago. And adding more DLC stages to the existing game means you're still stuck with playing the same old levels most of the time in online, since it's random. I want a full game's worth of new content.
Dont forget we need to bring Mario Kart Arcade GP DX to Switch if we can possibly get TeknoParrot emulator to work or else :)
Why TeknoParrot? Mario Kart Arcade GP works in Dolphin and Dolphin already runs on the Switch.
I think a paid DLC is a lot more likely than a brand new game, but it seems less likely as time goes on.
I don't think so. If they were going to release DLC for MK8D they would have already done so a while ago.
They can reuse the same engine using all new levels (plus the usual mix of retro ones) and charge full price for it. Or they can release more DLC at a lower price. They probably already had the thought and decided they would rather make more money by releasing a new full price game.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: FanNintendo

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sure hope so. I hope a full price port with barely anything new in it is not all we're getting. Mario Kart always sells well, and I think many, like myself, are getting bored of playing the same old game.

A few new DLC stages would be nice but I think if they were going to make DLC for MK8D they would have already done so a while ago. And adding more DLC stages to the existing game means you're still stuck with playing the same old levels most of the time in online, since it's random. I want a full game's worth of new content.

Why TeknoParrot? Mario Kart Arcade GP works in Dolphin and Dolphin already runs on the Switch.

I don't think so. If they were going to release DLC for MK8D they would have already done so a while ago.
They can reuse the same engine using all new levels (plus the usual mix of retro ones) and charge full price for it. Or they can release more DLC at a lower price. They probably already had the thought and decided they would rather make more money by releasing a new full price game.
Im talking about Mario Kart Arcade GP DX after Mario Kart GP and 2 if possible to be on switch that is complcation to hack somehow with teknoparrot or other emulator to work with Mario Kart Arcade GP DX

Last edited by FanNintendo,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt it. Everybody got got by buying the 60 dollar port, good sales of MK8D means that Nintendo has absolutely no incentive to put in the effort to develop a new title. If they were to release MK9, they'd be competing against themselves since their port is still selling well. If Mario Kart 9 doesn't come out this generation, which is extremely likely, it's due to everybody buying the port.

I always get annoyed when people get excited for ports of old Wii U games that they've already played, because this just means that this can give an excuse for Nintendo to not have to make new titles. Like how on Earth could they not even put in the effort to piss out a new NSMB title? The effort it took to port the game would probably be the same as them urinating another game onto the concrete.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I highly doubt it. Everybody got got by buying the 60 dollar port, good sales of MK8D means that Nintendo has absolutely no incentive to put in the effort to develop a new title. If they were to release MK9, they'd be competing against themselves since their port is still selling well. If Mario Kart 9 doesn't come out this generation, which is extremely likely, it's due to everybody buying the port.

I always get annoyed when people get excited for ports of old Wii U games that they've already played, because this just means that this can give an excuse for Nintendo to not have to make new titles. Like how on Earth could they not even put in the effort to piss out a new NSMB title? The effort it took to port the game would probably be the same as them urinating another game onto the concrete.
I think they're done with NSMB. Mario Maker 2 getting a world builder is pretty much the nail in the coffin for the NSMB series.
They might give NSMB a complete overhaul and actually make something new out of it but I don't see them continuing to release the same old game with new levels and maybe a new powerup.

Reactions: orangy57

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...