1. Tetsuo2020

OP Tetsuo2020 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I have successfully jail broken my Wii with modmii and everything worked great. I had watched several videos using other methods to jailbreak and they always install the custom iOS’s with d2xl-cIOS.

Do the iOS files that modmii generates for you to install take care of what the tutorials that use d2xl-cIOS?

2. xplicid_yt

xplicid_yt Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    This video will cover everything, i have never used Modmii for installing the D2X Cios but it's always best to use this method:

If you dont want to watch it then just use this guide its super easy:
    https://wii.guide/cios

3. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    The guy above missed the entire point of the question.

Modmii does not support d2xl, neither does the above YouTube video which was uploaded before "d2xl" was even conceived, and nor does wii.guide. The main reason is because d2xl isn't ready, in fact it currently only works on the wii mini. The goal of Version 1 of d2xl was just trying to create a 1 size fits all cios for the wii, vWii, wii mini, etc or some subset (see quote below) but ultimately when it comes to the wii specifically d2xl v1 will not be superior to d2x v8 final (which is the same as d2x v10 beta 52). Now if/when d2xl v2 comes out and assuming it has benefits over d2x v8 I may incorporate it into modmii (I've already spoken to Lesarrete about this) and I'm sure wii.guide will follow suit as they run a tight ship and a solid site.

Edit:
    Quote from Leseratte himself

Source:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/d2xl-cios-a-fork-of-davebaols-d2x-cios.558581/

Edit2: moral of the story, if you used modmii, you're already solid. Chill, sit back, relax and enjoy!

Last edited by XFlak, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:01 PM
  4. Tetsuo2020

OP Tetsuo2020 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    XFlak

Thanks for the reply. I actually meant d2x cios, not d2xl. Sorry for the typo.

Modmii is great and worked like a charm! I just wanted to make sure the iOS files modmii created took care of all that and that I didn’t have to manually set up anything.

Thanks again for the awesome program!

Last edited by Tetsuo2020, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:20 PM
  5. XFlak

Canada
    The d2x CIOS wad(s) you would have installed if using modmii accomplishes the exact same thing as the d2x CIOS installer that runs on the wii. In fact the only way to install the first few versions of d2x was using ModMii, it wasn't until maybe v3 or v4 that a wii app was built to assist those without windows/modmii so it's not incorrect to say that modmii was the first official d2x CIOS installer.

Edit: and man, what are the chances of that typo, I mean, literally any other letter after d2x and it wouldn't have been a real thing, and to make that typo repeatedly... well shit you should play the lotto, lol. Anyway, now you have a long winded explanation of d2xl whether you wanted it or not, lol

Last edited by XFlak, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:26 PM
    jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  6. Tetsuo2020

OP Tetsuo2020 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    One last question, I noticed at the root of the copy_to_sd folder a lone iOS wad separate from the rest of the iOS wads. Does that one need to be installed as well or does that get installed when following the guide that modmii generates? I can’t recall the specific iOS that is by itself at the root of the folder but I can check when I get a chance.

7. alexander1970

alexander1970 Wuff Wuff.

Austria
    Which one please ? 236 ? :)

jeannotte likes this.
  8. Tetsuo2020

OP Tetsuo2020 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    ios36-64-v3351.wad

That one is sitting at the root of the sd folder created by modmii

9. Tetsuo2020

OP Tetsuo2020 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    ios36-64-v3351.wad

That one is sitting at the root of the sd folder created by modmii

alexander1970 likes this.
  10. alexander1970

alexander1970 Wuff Wuff.

Austria
    Hello.:)

Yes of course,a very Important one for

- Homebrew Installation (Priiloader for Example)
    - Some Games need it (Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Example)

But you also should have an IOS236 Patcher/Installer on your List.That is for what this cIOS is needed.
    (Installs this "patched" cIOS 36 into Slot 236)
    This Tool install it for you.

Thank you.:)

Last edited by alexander1970, Jul 1, 2020 at 6:17 AM
    jeannotte likes this.
  11. XFlak

Canada
    In short, you don't need to install any wads that are not in the wad folder. The ios36 in the root of the SD card is used by the ios236 installer (it constructs a custom ios using an older version of ios36, whereas the latest version of ios36 would be saved to your wad folder if you are updating active IOSs)

jeannotte likes this.
  12. Tetsuo2020

OP Tetsuo2020 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok thanks the clarification, I didn’t want to do any unnecessary installation.

Can I substitute the usb loader forwarder that modmii creates for the usb loader gx forward that I’ve seen? I like how that one looks

13. XFlak

Canada
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - custom, modmii, using