Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

Dan-the-Rebirth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So the New Zelda changed quite a few things, one thing in particular are the dungeons. The big dungeons from the old games are gone. The 4 dungeons in BotW are way smaller, but we get 100s of shrines as compencation. Whats your opinon in it?

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to say yes, in that the sense of a unified gauntlet of puzzles centered around a theme with each affecting each other is minimized greatly in this game, but I find their absence completely tolerable. The shrines, though solvable in minutes, feel quite a bit more clever than the puzzles in previous games. They actually feel a lot like the quality and type of puzzles you'd see in a Portal game. I also find that the general time and concentration spent by the player in previous dungeons is consumed nicely by exploration, wayfinding, and treasure-searching in this game. So, I say "yes" only in that some essence has definitely been lost, but it's been replaced with elements I find just as entertaining.

Reactions: Yil and swabbo

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but I'm gonna give BOTW a pass because all of the dungeons are part of the open world. You don't go through a loading zone into a room that is bigger on the inside than the outside. I would have preferred a more normal dungeon, even if I had to load a new map, but the way they did it does work with the game's overall design well.

Reactions: iAqua
D

Deleted User

Yes, I love zelda for the dungeons and am disapointed by their abscense
(Sorry for spelling...)

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the New Zelda changed quite a few things, one thing in particular are the dungeons. The big dungeons from the old games are gone. The 4 dungeons in BotW are way smaller, but we get 100s of shrines as compencation. Whats your opinon in it?
Careful about mentioning there are four dungeons. Assholes got on me playing the "thanks for the spoilers, dick" card. Pssht

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a bummer. I haven't got around to doing a dungeon yet, but I was hoping for dungeons "larger [than] Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time" like Aonuma said.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I survived Eventide Island and all I got was this lousy tshirt...
Just did Eventide last night.

Tips plz. How do you kill the Hinox?
I did everything else first. Killed the Moblin and company such while they were sleeping at night and collected the more powerful weapons from them. Found some arrows in a treasure chest floating in the water. With powerful melee weapons, bow and arrow, and your remote bombs, you should be able to take him out. Shoot out his eye to put him temporarily out of commission and pummel him with your melee weapon. When he wises up and covers his eye with one of his hands, you detonate a remote bomb on him which will make him pull his hand away opening up the eye shot again.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really know, but I'm going to vote "no." All those Shrines with similar themes kind of have a little bit of a "Portal" vibe which is kind of cool. They do have their own variety of themes, some have waterfalls, some have bottomless pits, etc. I haven't gotten to the first dungeon yet so IDK, I only just met Old Lady Impa.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really know, but I'm going to vote "no." All those Shrines with similar themes kind of have a little bit of a "Portal" vibe which is kind of cool. They do have their own variety of themes, some have waterfalls, some have bottomless pits, etc. I haven't gotten to the first dungeon yet so IDK, I only just met Old Lady Impa.

Oh man, you ain't seen nothing yet...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought I did, until I actually (finally) went into Vah Ruta. It was enough dungeon and puzzles to satisfy my dungeon craving, without being overbearing and overstaying its welcome. Even had a fun boss which I was also worried it wouldn't.

The thing about normal Zelda dungeons is they can start to just be really tedious always backtracking or searching for things you missed potentially for hours the first time you do it. Sure it's satisfying to beat, but that feeling is mostly because you finally got the hell out of there and could fight the cool boss.

Tips plz. How do you kill the Hinox?

Do it last, find the good bows, shoot its eye. It goes down incredibly easy.
In the one boko/moblin camp where you have to stasis that sheet of metal off the ball platform, there's a chest around the ruins of the walls with a good sword. In the swampy muddy bit near the axe, in the mud is a metal chest with a good 2H sword. Both do a ton to hinox.

Also if that doesn't suit your fancy you can cheat by swimming to the shore of eventide and dropping weapons and food, and then stepping forward to activate the quest and all the stuff you dropped will still be there.
EDIT: also, also you could just glide onto hinox and grab the ball and run away. I always fucked it up so I just killed him...but apparently it's an option.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/