Top G Unlike Tate
OP
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I love the Wii U. It is a beautiful system.

Hacks are perfect there. Great emulators, cool mods, custom server (Pretendo Network), Miiverse alternatives, custom themes, and likely much more. I love it. I can play most Nintendo games. Mods are cool especially mods like Newer SMB (technically Wii but also compatible) and CTGP exists. Pretendo Network is a fan made Nintendo Network replacement and despite it still being a beta, it already works better than the Switch online at least when you use a real console (even on Cemu, it's decent from what I heard). Miiverse has clones now like Juxt (Pretendo's Clone with a new look) and Rverse (a Miiverse clone with the original design). There are custom themes that look decent. If you want to do that, check this thing out. The possibilities are endless. All that for paying like $5 for Brain Age and installing Cold Boot Haxchi.

Online is free and better. Even with Pretendo. It is amazing. Splatoon seems to be the best as of now. Often works, rarely crashes, and it even works well with emulators from what it seems. It works way better than you would expect. The main reason is that the Wii U/3DS used actual servers while the Switch uses peer to peer. This means that the Wii U/3DS had faster online and it was free while the Switch has slower online with a paid service. Stupidest thing ever right? That is just the beginning of what could be very long. There is also an actually good web browser on Wii U. For example, I once loaded GBATemp on Wii U (didn't work well though). Same for my N3DSXL. The Switch basically has no web browser. One argument is about exploits, but if the web browser were actually made well and up to date (see Xbox One with Microsoft Edge), it can work without issues or many exploits. The web browser runs some of the best sites such as Old Reddit, YouTube with a little bit of work, 3DSPaint, CloneMii, Bwitter, and more. It's very good. It can watch videos and you can upload images while in a game and going to the web browser.

Games are amazing. Super Mario Maker 1 (the gud version), Splatoon 1, SDK Paint, Mario Kart 8, SSB4 (the gud version), Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD, etc. It is very cool. Also, custom games like Gamecube via hacks, Virtual Console, and Wii backwards compatibility. Highly recommend.

But yeah, the Wii U is superior to the Switch for these reasons. Better games, cooler homebrew, free online, and great web browser. If you don't have one, I highly recommend getting one because it is fun. Tomorrow, I will have had one for 7 years long. It will always be my favorite system (along with Computer, 3DS, and PS5). I hope you can agree with me too about the Wii U.

Kazmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually play on my Wii U quite a lot because of this. Since it can natively play all GameCube, Wii, and Wii U games, of course, and over HDMI too boot. So yeah, I guess I do love it, but I understand why it did so poorly. I don't really think it's better or worse then the Switch though. The Switch is focused on being just a video game console, and I think the Wii U had a lot less focus and tried to be a lot of things, that, in the end, I don't think many people used.

Reactions: Digital_Cheese

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
OP
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I actually play on my Wii U quite a lot because of this. Since it can natively play all GameCube, Wii, and Wii U games, of course, and over HDMI too boot. So yeah, I guess I do love it, but I understand why it did so poorly. I don't really think it's better or worse then the Switch though. The Switch is focused on being just a video game console, and I think the Wii U had a lot less focus and tried to be a lot of things, that, in the end, I don't think many people used.
I can see that to an extent. Still tho, it has a too little considering it’s technically one of the most powerful consoles by Nintendo to date. At least they should have more than like YouTube and Hulu and have something like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I love the Wii U. Some years ago I had just gotten home from being in the hospital and was expected to be home recovering for a few weeks. Wouldn't you know my surprise when I found out the family got me the Wii U and Smash 4 to keep me company through it. For the first time in a while I got to play Smash Bros. with the family again and it was great. It wasn't just the fact that the newest Smash was on it, it was all the games that were able to be played on it that made it amazing. The free online was amazing so I could enjoy some Smash with friends or Splatoon for the little amount I actually got to play of it. The ability to use the GamePad as a second screen or even a main screen was really well thought through and worked amazingly. The GamePad itself had some great feeling to it and also having gyro made it great to use for Breath of the Wild years later. And speaking of Breath of the Wild, despite all the performance issues during heavy weather and certain scenarios, I friggin loved almost every second of it on the Wii U. If Wii Us ever go cheap you can be sure I'll start picking up backups as well to make sure I can enjoy it for many years to come!

Reactions: emcintosh

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Of course, I'm one of the very few who loves the Wii U as it is the first console I played and finished both Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles X which is the best Xenoblade ever! Both games are great by the way. Plus, that console can play NDS games which is freakin' cool especially that the Wii U gamepad has a stylus and acts as a second screen. Also, you can natively play Wii and Gamecube games. You can do so much in that console. It's like the final form of the Gamecube in which the 2nd transformation is the Wii, then finally evolved into the Wii U. It's just perfect!

As for the games and being able to play all Nintendo exclusive games during that generation like Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, the Zelda games in HD, all the fancy usage of the 2nd second even if it was gimmicky, it was mind-blowingly creative.

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
OP
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Of course, I'm one of the very few who loves the Wii U as it is the first console I played and finished both Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles X which is the best Xenoblade ever! Both games are great by the way. Plus, that console can play NDS games which is freakin' cool especially that the Wii U gamepad has a stylus and acts as a second screen. Also, you can natively play Wii and Gamecube games. You can do so much in that console. It's like the final form of the Gamecube in which the 2nd transformation is the Wii, then finally evolved into the Wii U. It's just perfect!

As for the games and being able to play all Nintendo exclusive games during that generation like Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, the Zelda games in HD, all the fancy usage of the 2nd second even if it was gimmicky, it was mind-blowingly creative.
I agree. While I've only played BOTW on the Switch (and never played Xenoblade Chronicles in general), there are so many games you can play natively thanks to homebrew. Also, so many exclusives were good. Wii U for life.

AsWeGoAlong14

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ronandpeggy.carrd.co
XP
Country
Australia
Not sure why nobody sees the wii u's potential. It had amazing games, figurines with more than one use (amiibo), an amazing social media network (would be better if it weren't for the bot admins), and dang good graphics. It also doesn't have drift issues (like it's successor), is pretty compact for those minimalists out there, and a mii channel. What good console doesn't have a mii channel?? Too bad nintendo abandoned it. I'd love to hop on the wii u's miiverse one last time.

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
OP
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why nobody sees the wii u's potential. It had amazing games, figurines with more than one use (amiibo), an amazing social media network (would be better if it weren't for the bot admins), and dang good graphics. It also doesn't have drift issues (like it's successor), is pretty compact for those minimalists out there, and a mii channel. What good console doesn't have a mii channel?? Too bad nintendo abandoned it. I'd love to hop on the wii u's miiverse one last time.
I agree with this. Fun fact: The Mii app on Wii U could have over 1k Miis. I’ve done it before via copy and pasting

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Woah woah woah, 4 of them!? How do you get more than 1 reasonably (unless you got most of them when you could find them for like 20 bucks.
I actually now have 5, got the Wind Waker Edition with the Box for christmas almost mint condition for about 150€.
The others I got from 1-2 years ago, another one for about 70-100€ all in perfect condition.

Modder_Boi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the deluxe Wii U a little after it came out for Christmas. I was 6 or 7 years old and it was the first new console I had ever had. I don't know if it was because I was young or just didn't pay attention to the flaws, but in my little kid brain the Wii U was the best thing that had ever happened in the history of mankind. Looking back on it now I see why it flopped, but all I have to say is that the original Splatoon was a god-tier game that was better than any of the sequels. As a little kid, Splatoon and Skylanders were the things that raised me when my mom didn't (JK).

Reactions: Wolfy

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually now have 5, got the Wind Waker Edition with the Box for christmas almost mint condition for about 150€.
The others I got from 1-2 years ago, another one for about 70-100€ all in perfect condition.

Wish I had the Wind Waker edition but thankfully not something that's making me crazy over not having it. I have my original one that I got years ago, and an auction lot I got from the Salvation Army's website which had 2 consoles( both had parental PINs but thankfully got them removed ) and 3 gamepads. Just makes me sad that you can only connect a single gamepad to a console at a time.

Also what makes it worse is the chance they can all die from that error that's been plaguing it over the years. Saw a SpawnWave video on it and just kinda saddens me there's no fix yet.

nintendo_leaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I enjoyed playing the Wii U in its day but barely used it after buying a Switch. Now it's just wasting space.

I do agree that the Wii U did many things better than the Switch but the Switch is still better overall because of its better portability and overclocking.

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: