Do you hope that boss levels in Mario Odyssey will actually be hard to defeat?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Mario games by tradition have always had easy bosses but somewhat medium/toughish main stages, in Mario Odyssey however, I really hope that Nintendo breaks the tradition and includes hard bosses for gamers who want more than just "three hits and you're finished" with its predictable patterns.

The only level (but not boss), for example, in Mario 3D World which was a bit challenging (and by that, difficult) was the very last one where timing and precision were the key to finishing the level. And in Captain Toad's stage where you go through 50 levels, that was pretty easy too although a lot call it "hard" which I can't agree (just a matter of avoiding the opponents and keep on running at all times).

And if someone brings up "What about the inexperienced players? Well, for those there's always the White Tanooki or whatever "Everyone's a winner!" item Nintendo includes.

2. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yes i do want them to be hard with checkpoints.
    I hate bosses that are to easy. Play other games where the one right before the boss is harder.

But yea mario its always seems to be jump on there head 3 times and there out

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  3. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I like the idea of a hard mode in BotW, but Mario doesn't need to be challenging to be fun, and I think most of the challenge is best kept to the platforming segments.

4. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    If it's too easy then it's not challenging.

5. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I find 3D Mario games challenging, but only toward the later levels. No part of Mario is meant to be Dark Souls hard.

6. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    It's not but at the same time being too easy isn't much fun either, Nintendo could offer a Hard Mode. Mario 2 NES was essentially that for Mario 1.

7. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    I hope it is not hard. I like the difficulty of the Mario games and I hope that they don't change the difficulty. I don't like boss fights and hate games with hard bosses. Maybe they could implement a optional boss mode with harder difficulty. I won't play it but other players would be pleased.

8. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    You mustn't like Mega Man very much then.

9. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    I want cool boss fight like in the galaxy series.

Pip'

10. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Agreed. Mario Adventure 3 Mario Odissey is most definitely going to become the best 3D Mario game of all-time seeing how mindblowingly awesome it looks, the mix of gameplays and the sandbox-feel to it.

11. 03bgood

03bgood Banned

Banned
    Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    Paris, Illinois
    I hope the hubworld consists of New York, South America, and Bower's Koopa Ship, LOL and they add virtual pet areas where you can raise Yoshis.

Also, a new mission mode where you can unlock the following Game Boy and Game Boy Color Mario games:

Super Mario Land
    Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
    Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
    Wario Land II (Game Boy Color version, not the GB version)
    Wario Land 3
    Donkey Kong '94
    Dr. Mario (Game Boy version, not the NES version)
    Yoshi (Game Boy version, not the NES version)
    Mario's Picross
    Mario's Picross 2 (First time that NA and EU gets this game, retitled "Mario's Picross 2" for NA and EU, instead of just "Picross 2")
    Game & Watch Gallery
    Game & Watch Gallery 2 (Game Boy Color version, not the GB version; JP gets GB version only)
    Game & Watch Gallery 3
    Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
    Mario Golf
    Mario Tennis

This would be a nice way to promote GB and GBC games for the NS VC. Wario Blast and Yoshi's Cookie would be the only two games excluded, due to licensing issues.

Last edited by 03bgood, Mar 1, 2017
    Saiyan Lusitano and zoogie like this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    No, I dislike the bosses in every mario game I have played with the possible exception of the rollercoaster Sunshine level. Actually Mario might have been redundant in the previous sentence.

That said "a boss is supposed to be a final exam for a level" is a statement of some merit.

13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    The fun part of Mario is exploring new places, getting through tricky platforming sections, and finding secret areas. Bosses aren't fun. I don't personally need them to be challenging. There should be a choice though. You should also be able to start a save file with a "no white Tanooki suit" rule. In the last couple of games being offered the suit just feels like an insult. I'm not going to use it, and it feels like the game is saying "you suck at this game so much, you obviously need to cheat to get through it. HA HA HA".

14. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Not really. The bosses were never really critical to the experience. With the exception of maybe Sunshine, the difficulty almost always comes in post-game levels without bosses mostly.

15. kiais

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States

Unlock the full game? For beating a mission with a similar theme? Nintendo doing this?

You'd have better luck with bowser appearing in Zelda titles and ganondorf appearing in Mario titles.