Do you have any idea if a 1tb flash drive would work as expandable storage on PS5?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, if you mean via usb, it only works with ps4 games. I think sony made it to where you can only load ps5 games from internal storage, because they want next to 0 load times. from what I understand, it's quite expensive to upgrade internal storage, so I probably won't on mine. if you don't have a good heatsink, sony says it could damage the ps5 as well, so I'd go with a known one that works.

Reactions: Alexander1970

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure some error will pop up if it doesn't fit guidelines like the ps4 does with external storage if it's not usb 3.0+. can't use usb 2.0 or lower. it won't let you.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, if you have an external drive for the ps4, it should work with the ps5 for ps4 games without anything extra, as long as it's the same account and obviously not fake pkgs. I've heard from two people that this works. used to work on the ps4 as well, but people were dumping games from psn on lower firmware by moving the external drive from one ps4 to another. can't do that now, so you may have to be on the latest firmware.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to answer your question, both yes and no, im guessing that it would function like any other drive, where you can STORE data, but the ps5 (as of right now) only allows you to boot from one location at a time, and thats the gen 4 m.2 it has in it. similarly, afaik there are no flash drives capable of the write speeds needed to be able to play games from there, so where you could, it would be meaningless.

Reactions: godreborn

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to answer your question, both yes and no, im guessing that it would function like any other drive, where you can STORE data, but the ps5 (as of right now) only allows you to boot from one location at a time, and thats the gen 4 m.2 it has in it. similarly, afaik there are no flash drives capable of the write speeds needed to be able to play games from there, so where you could, it would be meaningless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.