Do you have a pool?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Satangel, Mar 12, 2009.

?

Do you have a pool?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mar 12, 2009

Do you have a pool? by Satangel at 5:13 PM (1,072 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Well, I mean a swimming pool.
    At your home that is.

I don't have one.
    We had one on our vacation to Spain though, was very amusing.

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I guess you mean a swimming pool right, not a pool table?
    Have neither anyway [​IMG]

3. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    +1

4. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    We once had one at my parents' house. Rarely used it. Pain in the ass to maintain.
    It was one of those cheap ones you put up in like 2 hours, though, not a "real" pool that's embedded into the ground. My uncle, who lives right next door, has a "real" one, which is way more awesome.
    Anyway, last year we got rid of our pool and built a pond instead, it's much nicer that way.

I don't think pools suck in general, but what fun is a boring circle- or rectangle-shaped pool in a garden where everyone can watch you?
    They're nowhere near as fun as public swimming pools. No diving boards, no waterslides, no fountains, no room to actually swim in instead of just floating in the water. Having drinks in there with your friends (as seen in every teenie movie ever) is also a bad idea. Trust me, you don't want any beer or spirits to spill into the pool water.
    Then again, I guess the summers here in germany aren't as hot and long as in some parts of america, where pools seem to be way more common.
    If I happen to buy a house with a more "cozy" garden one day, I might consider putting a hot tub or something like that in there, but I really hate it when the neighbors can watch during the day or you can't use the pool at night because it might piss them off or something. I mean, who'd like his neighbors to start making loud splashy noises at 2AM?
    All in all, I'd still prefer a pond though. You may not be able to swim or bath in one, but it's way easier and cheaper to build (which of course depends on what kind of pond you're planning to build), you can put fish and stuff in there, add some nice and large plants in the surrounding area, maybe some gimmicks like a small waterfall, maybe some subtle lighting to make it look awesome at night, and a bench to sit on and just watch the fish swim and the plants wave in the wind, and just have a place around your house where you can really chill out and relax. But maybe that's just me. Things like those just have a way higher recreational value to me than being able to have a brief swash on a summer day, only so you have to dry off afterwards, cause a mess in the house on your way to the bathroom, take a shower either now or at the end of the day, and change your clothes. I'd really rather just go to a public swimming pool instead, where they have larger pools, hot tubs, saunas and all that stuff right there. Even if you go there, like three times a week, it's still way cheaper than a small-ass, not-fun swimming pool in your garden.

5. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    We had an in-ground pool at my last house, and I have to say, I'm completely relieved to be rid of it. The thing was a money pit, and required way too much time to maintain. Up in NY, we only really swam in it for about 4 months of the year, and with young kids, we didn't even use it that much during the summer.

I definitely don't think I'd go down that road again.

6. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Yeah, a swimming pool.

7. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    hot tub/spa > pool

8. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Never had one and don't want one at all.

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    yes, an above ground pool
    takes a bit of maintaining but it pays off in the summer during those hot days

10. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a hot tub. Would die for a pool though. Great work out. [​IMG]

11. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

yeah but i only use it during the summer

12. Hachibei

Member Hachibei GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Got one, an in-ground pool. Not that huge, but it's more fun than not having one at all.

When else would you use a pool? xD

13. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Yeah. I rarely use it though. Its in the ground btw.

14. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No but I want one. May-September is basically all 90 degree+ days in Southern California.