Do you guys have a video game rating plugin

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by TheZander, Aug 18, 2018.

1. TheZander
    OP

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    I know gbatemp has reviews why don't you have a user video game rating system plugin, 1 to 5 stars. You have a large enough user base where it might garner useful results

2. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Reviews go from 0 to 10 on all reviews. Or do you mean some kind of aggregation of review scores for reviews of the same game?

3. TheZander
    OP

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Not so much full reviews but just a simple user game rating system. Like metacritic or something similar to that. So a list of every game, or a game with at least one rating. Then just collect star ratings on nothing but the game title.

4. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    We don't have anything like that. I personally think numbers without reason are useless, but that's just me I suppose. A recommendation system would be neat, but it also seems like it'd be a lot of effort for something not really requested.

5. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    it is something we're working on yes, as part of a bigger plan, but it won't be available for a while, it's still in pre-conception/design stages

Chary and Scarlet like this.
  6. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    http://www.ign.com/games/phantom-doctrine

Sorta like a game page, you mean, or something that could go next to reviews to let users score their own thoughts? Maybe a thumbs up, thumbs down for recommendation?

7. TheZander
    OP

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    It should be a common feature if a plug in like this exist to leave a little comment as well if the person feels like it.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am also dubious of the merits of scores in general, never mind drive by scoring. While I would not oppose such a thing I would say people are free to post their own reviews, have been since the start.

That said
    In before we 7/10 a "popular" or popular property (see also the reviews of Zelda, Pokemon and Youkai Watch) and end up review bombed.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I am not against the idea, but never been a big fan of adding scores to reviews. If Breath of the Wild has shown anything, it doesn't matter what the review says, people only care about the score. It also showed that people were willing to bully anyone who's score they didn't like if that score didn't match their idea of what the score should have been. This is something I am actually worried will happen to users who post their own review scores for games and people will only end up posting fake scores due to peer pressure.

10. TheZander
    OP

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Ratings can be useful. I carry no deep analysis of people's video game rating habits and to why they are not trustworthy. But seeing how something like this is in part of a larger revamp there's no reason to think it will be a new module any time soon.