Hardware Do you guys bother to use screen protectors?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning on getting a 3DS soon, and this question popped into my mind. Whenever I see demos or videos with a 3DS, there is either no screen protector (for the touch screen), or it's just so well applied that I never notice it.

When I got my DSi, before I even played it, I made sure that I put on the screen protector, because I didn't wanna scratch, scuff, or ruin the screen. Is that necessary to not have an ugly screen?

C_o_d_y_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't play any stylus based game until I got mine from Amazon. They have completely come in handy, too. The 100 + hours I spent in Etrian Odyssey has left a square etched into my touch screen's protector. I recommend them, even if you don't think you'll need them. Paying eight dollars is well worth not having to stare at ugly and annoying scratches every time you play.

Reactions: Pedeadstrian

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally have never bothered on any thing (DS, 3DS, Wii U, phone, tablet) because I find them more trouble then they are worth and haven't had any problems. But to each there own. If it makes you feel better go right ahead.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always. Even if you are careful with your stuff, randomness can still happen. I just got a Galaxy S4 last week, somehow my charger whiplashed in my hand and the sharp end hit my screen, would have scratched my screen if I didnt have a protector on it.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I was expecting at least some replies by people who don't use screen protectors. Well, it's good to know I won't get screwed over by screen protectors (or at least am less likely to). Ever since I put my screen protector on my DSi, the touch screen has emitted a high pitched ringing. As someone with tinnitus, it sucks. DeSmuME ftw.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've never used a screen protector on any handheld since the original gameboy, and so far have never had a scratch.
and i played my 3ds everyday till the xl came out and my xl everyday till the pikachu limited edition came out.
i seriously have no idea how people manage to scratch things, i'm not even careful with it. just use my fingers or the stylus never had a problem.

i never let anyone touch my handhelds though; wii u gamepad on the other hand forgoing a screen protector was a huge mistake other people play that all the time and it's all scratched up =[

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[...]Ever since I put my screen protector on my DSi, the touch screen has emitted a high pitched ringing. As someone with tinnitus, it sucks.[...]

sad-i-know-that-feel-bro_3969556_lrg.jpg

Tinnitus blows dick and a half. :/

No idea why a screen protector would make your touch screen go all wonky though o_o

On topic - screen protectors all the way on my 3DS. ESPECIALLY on the normal size model (non-XL), since the touch screen border leaves marks on the screen, (usually) leading to permanent scratches.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Never. Scratches are also a rarity for me, so there's that too. I don't know how people manage to scratch up their screens so badly. It really isn't that hard to just take care of your electronics.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I was expecting at least some replies by people who don't use screen protectors. Well, it's good to know I won't get screwed over by screen protectors (or at least am less likely to). Ever since I put my screen protector on my DSi, the touch screen has emitted a high pitched ringing. As someone with tinnitus, it sucks. DeSmuME ftw.

I have 5 Nintendo handhelds and put screen protectors on only one of them. The only one that looks like crap is the one with the screen protector, the consoles without the screen protectors look fine. I never really noticed until now, I'm looking at my DS lite and 3DS right now and I don't see a single scratch on the lower screen, which surprises me because there isn't a screen protector on either of them.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking of getting the hori screen protector. Mostly for the anti reflection though.
Had a 3ds before but didn't get a single scratch on it.
Though my ds phat look horrible buy that's probably because of some intense touch screen games such as elite beats agent.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't use screen protectors, and never had a scratch.
I have an old PHAT DS, and a 3DS, they are both fine and still using the default stylus.

just use your stylus and console kindly, don't push or hit like if you need to perforate the screen. Gentle touching is enough.

The only marks I see are the one when you play, you move your finger on the screen and it's gone.

Reactions: Snailface

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Never. Scratches are also a rarity for me, so there's that too. I don't know how people manage to scratch up their screens so badly. It really isn't that hard to just take care of your electronics.

I had one of those 3DS consoles that scratched itself, pretty badly too. I never used screen protectors with any of my handhelds before then, but after I sent it back to Nintendo for repair and got it back I applied screen protectors. When I traded it in for an XL, I decided not to take the risk and bought the screen protectors with it this time. Sometimes accidents just can't be avoided too and eventually you'll probably get a scratch on one of your devices screens. For the sake of a few quid, I think it's better to guarantee your screens will never get scratched.

ipwndeveloper

Trophies
Website
gb4iphone.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
A word of advise when applying screen protectors: boil a pot of water/or after a steamy shower, in the room in which you will apply the screen protector, I know this sounds weird but the steam gets the dust out of the way, and I havent had dust under screen protectors since I started using this method

Reactions: PityOnU

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A word of advise when applying screen protectors: boil a pot of water/or after a steamy shower, in the room in which you will apply the screen protector, I know this sounds weird but the steam gets the dust out of the way, and I havent had dust under screen protectors since I started using this method
That sounds like a neat trick. I was gonna clean off the screen then have someone hold it upside down so nothing falls on it. But I'll try that out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16