Do you go for physical or digital copies of games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by nxwing, Dec 2, 2015.

?

Physical or Digital Ganes?

1. Physical

2. Digital

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I personally prefer physical copies of games. Having digital copies of games actually saves a lot of space in a household but I just feel much better having my games displayed on a rack or a shelf.

I want to know your opinions.

2. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Having not much else to fill my room with other than others' possessions(not gonna get into that, but no, I don't steal anything, my room is just used by some as a sort of storage room), displaying my games on a shelf feels great. However, getting physical copies of games in my country isn't that easy.

The Brazilian 3DS eShop's prices are, like on all other places, no different from store prices. That said, you can get physical copies for a little below the eShop price. People who buy games in bulk abroad or get some sort of cheap shipment alternative will sell the games for around R$120, whereas the eShop price is at R$150. In stores, the games go from R$150 to R$200, so logically it is cheaper to go online and order a physical copy. However, shipping is expensive and slow.

Where I live, there aren't many sellers for games I'm interested in, so I'll have to order copies from the Southeast of the country. Shipping will cost me from R$30 to R$70, so the game will go from R$150 to R$190. It makes no sense to get a physical copy online for the same, if not a higher, price of a digital copy then wait for it to arrive unless you really want to avoid digital stuff.

I got myself a 32 GB microSD card and now I can just forget about it. Once a game I'm really looking forward to get is released on the eShop, I can purchase it and download it overnight. It's much easier for me that way and I don't plan on selling my games either.

tl;dr Digital copies fit me well, though it'd be great if I could get a <9.3 3DS and physical copies, dump them, put them on a shelf and install the dump on my SD card.

I can dream.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Can I resell them, lend them to friends, buy them off others than new sellers and the various things that logically would form the next entries in that list? If so then I will go it. This usually means physical is my chosen way but downloadable versions can also do this so I go for those if the asking price is one I am willing to pay.

4. Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow Ruthless Pirate

Banned
    Nov 17, 2015
    United States
    The Black Pearl
    Physical, you can buy them cheaper pre owned, and sell them when your done

5. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    As in many things, it's a "it all depends" sort of situation.

PSN has frequent sales, at which time, on occasion, a game I have been interested in might go on sale. I've acquired everything from RPGs like Persona 3 FES to action games like Castlevania: Dracula X at sub $10 prices, which I consider to be quite reasonable. Sony's PSN account system makes transferring to a new system quite easy as well, so I don't have to worry about losing access to the games. It's true I can't resell them, but the places around here like GameStop where you can trade things in give you utter shit for your items, so I'm not entirely broken up about that.

Nintendo's games, on the other hand, have the absolute worst account system in the history of account systems. Their games rarely go on any sort of decent sale at all and they stupidly tie the games themselves to the system so you can't just redownload them if you drop your 3DS in a puddle or a bloke in a mask grabs your system and runs away with it. I do my absolute level best to avoid buying from them digitally whenever I can, although sometimes it's bloody unavoidable. Hopefully whatever new thing they've got baking in the oven fixes things a bit.

6. bitjacker

bitjacker GBAtemp Disorderly

Jan 23, 2014
    United States
    For some games that I really like I go for physical copies. I always try them on digital first.

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Physical all the way.

8. LittleFlame

LittleFlame Thinks he's better than all of you

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    That one place
    For consoles and handhelds Physical but Steam
    STEAAM

9. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    yeah, digital games doesn't looks nice on the shelf haha (like a have a big collection ... or a nice shelf ...)
    Well I'm more for physical, unless it a real DEAL price or we have no choice :/
    also I'm thinking that having physical copy isn't having the complete game anymore, because bunch of DLCS or updates that games get ... unless they do a new media that store the updates/extras on the physical game, not the console it would be different

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    99 times out of 100 I'll go digital, purely because it's more convenient for me. I didn't really have space for the hundreds of games I own across various platforms, and it ends up being infinitely easier to get a copy of whatever game I want (nowadays anyways).

Sliter likes this.
  11. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Digital is good, except when it comes to Nintendo.
    Account locked to your system unless you system transfer so the NNID gets linked to a different system?
    Games locked to your account?
    Lose all your purchases if something happens to your 3DS, it gets stolen, you don't have the box anymore, don't have the serial number, can't get Nintendo to unlink the NNID so you can link it to a new system?
    Yeah, no thanks, imo.
    Steam is good because I can log onto my account from any computer and I'll have my games and can install them with pretty much no limitations. My Steam isn't locked to the first computer I logged into and I don't need overly complicated processes of getting in touch with customer support to move my account to a different computer if I need to.
    If Microsoft and Sony can have good system I don't see why Nintendo should have to stick to their terrible system.

12. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    On pc, generally digital.

On consoles, physical. Can fuck off with the £54.99-£59.99 crap, while the physical is £39.99.