Do you feel uncomfortable with a foreign speaking your language?

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I do feel uncomfortable when speaking english. I'm pretty good, but we dutch people have this awfull accent. So while I'm perfectly comfortable typing english, you won't find me on skype/ teamspeak/ etc. with foreign people real quick.

Also, I LOVE it when french girls/ women speak english with that gorgeous accent.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The official language of China is Mandarin(putonghua). I think Chinese people have no difficulty to live in Singapore. : P
Our government only recognizes Mandarin as the official Chinese language in Singapore.
Plus we are also using the simplified script (unlike HK/Taiwan), so yeah.

Our spoken Mandarin is closer to the ROC version though.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
...Yea... Why?
Shouldn't you be used to seeing africans speaking norwegian or asians speaking norwegian then? Its already been like more than 30~ years since they came to Norway, or a part of that. That being said its kinda annoying though when i meet poles(not pole but poles yes) and they dont understand norwegian. True their there for working black or most of them, but atleast try to learn the language to the country you live in.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Shouldn't you be used to seeing africans speaking norwegian or asians speaking norwegian then? Its already been like more than 30~ years since they came to Norway, or a part of that. That being said its kinda annoying though when i meet poles(not pole but poles yes) and they dont understand norwegian. True their there for working black or most of them, but atleast try to learn the language to the country you live in.

I'm native English British not Norwegian :P

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
And the funniest this is they guys who did make fun of me, they just know how to speak Spanish!

Is it possible that by saying a word incorrectly, what you were saying became incredibly funny? If the people who you were talking to can't speak English, then it would be difficult for them to explain why exactly they were laughing.

When I began out learning Thai, I was trying to ask for a big bottle of water. Didn't know the term bottle, so I figured 'big water' should do it. So I asked the lady in my hotel for big water. Big water. She was looking alarmed and I kept on saying the words, altering my pronunciation of the work for 'water' time and time again until I got it right. The girl looked relieved when I'd finally made myself clear. And took her hand off the phone, which she had grabbed half way through my futile attempts to express myself.

I didn't know it at the time, but the girls reaction made a lot more sense a couple of weeks later when I found out what I'd been barking at her.

Turns out that the pronunciation of the word for water in the Thai language isn't a million miles away from the pronunciation of the word for 'tits'.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I'm native English British not Norwegian :P
Explains, explains! You should feel lucky because its like one in every 100000 that dooesnt speak english. Feels awesome because you can like speak english with everyone as if it were nothing. That being said some people might have hard time on the british language though.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Explains, explains! You should feel lucky because its like one in every 100000 that dooesnt speak english. Feels awesome because you can like speak english with everyone as if it were nothing. That being said some people might have hard time on the british language though.

Drunk Norwegian's trying to talk English thinking there fluent in English makes me cringe

dreampeppers99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it possible that by saying a word incorrectly, what you were saying became incredibly funny? If the people who you were talking to can't speak English, then it would be difficult for them to explain why exactly they were laughing.

Yeah It could be, it seems reasonable !

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
no if they have a bad accent, i feel bad for them because it's kind of hard for me to understand them.

if they speak fluently then i'm like wtf. tbh I only know a couple of words in my native language although I can understand like 30% of what people say to me. so if a foreigner can speak better than me its embarrassing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I didn't know they made an MSU cart for the Genesis.... I knew about the SNES one and the...