Do you feel uncomfortable with a foreign speaking your language?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by dreampeppers99, Jan 23, 2013.

1. dreampeppers99
    OP

Member dreampeppers99 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I went to San Francisco with my basic (going to poor) level of spoken English and I felt very good, people were very patient and gentle.

In the other hand I was in vacation then I visited a "spanish" speaker country (I won't say it, because it can sound very specific but I don't think this reflects the whole country) with my better spoken spanish and I felt that the people were laughing at me because my mistakes and my accent.

Anyway, I tried to keep my mind open and I tried to remember some foreign speaking my native language but I didn't it was funny, I just remember somebody trying very hard to communicate which is good.

Do you feel uncomfortable (or think it is fun) with a foreign speaking your language?

Celice likes this.

2. Yepi69

Member Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Portugal
    Actually yeah, but I do tend to correct them on some words just to help them :)

3. Par39

Member Par39 The Life Hacker

Finland
    A bit yeah, since Finnish has letters like Ä and Ö, which are not used in all the other languages. Also the amount of letters in words can make a huge difference (tuli means fire, while tuuli is wind, and kukka means flower, when kuka means who) so sometimes it's really hard to understand what they're trying to say. Finnish is a rather difficult of a language in other aspects too.

Hells Malice likes this.
  4. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Not to be racist or offensive, but I do feel quite surprised and a bit uncomfortable when a black or indian speaks Chinese.
    Unless they have Chinese parents or relatives that is.

yuyuyup likes this.
  5. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Only when I have an ak47 pointing in my face and the person is calling me an infidel.

bowser, Engert, gamefan5 and 5 others like this.
  6. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Nooo, I find it utterly charming when people try to speak Swedish :) (Unless it's people who have lived here for 30+ years and still can't speak, then I think they're kinda rude)... But a girl I know, speaks really good Swedish, although only living here for 2 years.. Sure it has some Russian accent, but it's just cute.

Engert likes this.
  7. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Honestly people speaking a foreign language in my country makes me somewhat uncomfortable (very slightly though), but I don't have any problems with foreigners speaking my language. Hell, one of our neighbors is a foreigner.

8. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I'm used to it.

African, Middle eastern, English, American, Scandinavian, Eastern European.
    I've heard them all speak me language.
    It's pretty funny sometimes but I can't be bothered with it.
    Mainly because I prefer english above me own.

9. dreampeppers99
    OP

Member dreampeppers99 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    And the funniest this is they guys who did make fun of me, they just know how to speak Spanish!

When I see a Germany dude trying to speak Brazilian Portuguese I think: "Man, I wish I could speak Germany as this guys does in pt_BR"

10. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I do not mind it one bit.

I think it's absolutely lovely if someone has taken the time and effort to learn the language. Sure, mistakes may be made but instead of making fun of them it's much nicer to try to help people improve upon their language skills.

11. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    I enjoy when people broaden their horizons by learning other languages, really.

Though, I learned four languages just so I can harass people that think they can hide behind their native languages to bad talk someone while in front of them.

12. Yepi69

Member Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Portugal
    I'm learning dutch because I'm going to live to netherlands again, such a great great country.

Wabsta and riyaz like this.
  13. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    I find it to be adorable when foreign girls try to put into words what they're trying to say. Had a friend from Germany, and she kept trying to translate what she wanted to say, but couldn't, so I kept laughing at her and making her mad XP
    And I find accents sexy :P Russian and German ones to be specific.

Issac likes this.
  14. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    America is a nation of immigrants. I worked in retail for years and every day I came into contact with people that didn't speak the king's English well at all. Helping people out with broken English was just a part of every day life. If I spent time making fun of the way people spoke. I wouldn't have had time to get my job done.

dreampeppers99 likes this.
  15. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I don't find it uncomfortable or amusing in the least. If anything I find it slightly humbling as I don't speak anything other than my native language. Unfortunately in the UK learning foreign languages isn't taken as seriously as it is in other countries. The attitude seems to be 'Meh, Johnny Foreigner is learning English so fuck it.'

Densetsu and Minox like this.
  16. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I have issues with some foreign accents/pronunciation, but only because my hearing is fairly bad and so it's just plain hard for me to understand people sometimes.
    Not really sure what you'd call the accent >.> but the indians around here have a pretty thick accent I just can NOT understand.
    But in contrast there are times with thick Eastern Canadian accents (very stereotypical Canadian speech patterns...), I can't understand a god damn thing they're saying either...and i'm Canadian. But i'm far enough west that I barely -ever- hear steretypical Canadians.

But otherwise i'm usually fine, and even quite enjoy foreign accents. My girlfriend sounds pretty cute with her accent when we talk.
    Even if foreign people can't pronounce every word properly I can generally understand exactly what they meant, it's not too hard.

17. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    ...no? If I see that, i try to help them though the difficult swamp of the English language. Cause its nuts.

18. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Uncomfortable? My grandparents spoke shit English and I had no idea how to speak in their native tongue.

19. sliver123

Member sliver123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Lol some people in my country in italy are too perfect with language, i am also italian but if i make only one little mistake they become very angry

20. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Sounds like someone has a crush!

chris888222, EZ-Megaman and NahuelDS like this.