• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you feel the USA is better now than it was 22 years ago?

Are things getting better or worse for the "Greatest Country in the World"?

• Better

• Worse

• It's a mixed bag and very complicated and while I think some things have declined we do also have...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Which brings me to my next point. Why would you be conflicted about removing someone like Tucker Carlson from their platform? He can still exist, he's just not able to radicalize your grandparents anymore. What's the harm?
I fear the consequences of deplatforming someone if it's not through a legal process and because they have clearly broken some law, specially involving their platform.

I think it may lead to normalizing deplatforming as a way of censorship. I think this could be abused by powerful people.

Nobody is perfect, so if they want to shut somebody they will be able to find some skeleton in their closet. Or they will just make one up. But I think I'm being naive and this has always happened, as you stated before regarding "discredit campaigns" of the right (I would say of anybody that has power over media).

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fear the consequences of deplatforming someone if it's not through a legal process and because they have clearly broken some law, specially involving their platform.

I think it may lead to normalizing deplatforming as a way of censorship. I think this could be abused by powerful people.

Nobody is perfect, so if they want to shut somebody they will be able to find some skeleton in their closet. Or they will just make one up. But I think I'm being naive and this has always happened, as you stated before regarding "discredit campaigns" of the right (I would say of anybody that has power over media).
Do you agree at any point there could be benefits to deplatforming someone?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you agree at any point there could be benefits to deplatforming someone?
Well, yes. There could be benefits to it. Specially if that someone is damaging for society.

But also this could be abused, as in who decides and with which mechanism it is decided who should be deplatformed.

In the end this is a way of censorship, and could be abused to shut down any voice that doesn't suit whomever has the power to manipulate the decision of who should be deplatformed.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, yes. There could be benefits to it. Specially if that someone is damaging for society.

But also this could be abused, as in who decides and with which mechanism it is decided who should be deplatformed.

In the end this is a way of censorship, and could be abused to shut down any voice that doesn't suit whomever has the power to manipulate the decision of who should be deplatformed.
So do you not support police, then? There's benefits to them, especially if someone is damaging to society, and they can easily be abused too.

Reactions: gamefan5 and smf

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worse. Too many Woke and PC types have ruined it - free speech is less and less each week. To many soy boys and weird people with blue and pink hair going about. Police not being able to do their jobs properly, The Dems....say no more. Men thinking the are women and vice versa, men taking part in women only sports. People identifying as cats and inanimate objects. The woke - I already said this, but they need mentioned twice.

If I could go back in time and show the cavemen how people today would turn out, they would probably say "f*ck that", and go back to being monkeys.

USA used to be full of hot women, now it's full of weird people.

rqWZlYt.jpg
Weird people were always there, but they were generally bullied so they either conformed or lived a reclusive lifestyle. USA feels like opposite day on Spongebob.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
So do you not support police, then? There's benefits to them, especially if someone is damaging to society, and they can easily be abused too.
I bet He/She/It would support the police if they were being raped or their parents were being murdered.....yep there would be a sharp change in the views at that point.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet He/She/It would support the police if they were being raped or their parents were being murdered.....yep there would be a sharp change in the views at that point.
She, thanks for asking.

Read the thread, NPC. You'll find that my post was a rhetorical question. I know you saw the big scary internet woman say the word "police" and instantly thought I was for the abolition of cops, but that was not my stance. Don't reply to anyone's post if you're just gonna be intellectually useless.

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Wouldn't that be a point where you would question the usefulness of the police and rather be for gun rights?

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't that be a point where you would question the usefulness of the police and rather be for gun rights?
This is also correct, and why I take the marxist position on firearms, which is that the working class should always be armed and under no circumstances should they surrender their arms.

Reactions: Xzi and Creamu

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I'm all for gun rights and citizens having the ability to slot the baddies. I have no qualms if someone takes a criminals head off with a shotgun if they are breaking into their home.

Reactions: Creamu

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for gun rights and citizens having the ability to slot the baddies. I have no qualms if someone takes a criminals head off with a shotgun if they are breaking into their home.
So then why would you simp for the police knowing they're just the arm of authoritarianism? Surely a big bad civilian like yourself can defend himself, yes?

Reactions: Xzi

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
So then why would you simp for the police knowing they're just the arm of authoritarianism? Surely a big bad civilian like yourself can defend himself, yes?
The police are good for gathering evidence and capturing criminals, if they are not in the vacininty when a crime is being commited, then I am happy the gun laws permit people to defend themselves. If I was being robbed and I had a gun, I would shoot the criminal if I had the chance and for the many people each year that defend themselves and their properties against criminals, all I can say is thank god for the 2nd amendment.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The police are good for gathering evidence and capturing criminals, if they are not in the vacininty when a crime is being commited, then I am happy the gun laws permit people to defend themselves. If I was being robbed and I had a gun, I would shoot the criminal if I had the chance and for the many people each year that defend themselves and their properties against criminals, all I can say is thank god for the 2nd amendment.
*vicinity
*committed
Why do you trust the state to gather evidence, hmm?

Reactions: Xzi

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your post doesn't say how you are going to sort your life out - or anything out! What are you going to do all your life apart from whine about stuff and expect others to sort things out for you?
From the person that does nothing but whine about people that are just trying to live their life.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
From the person that does nothing but whine about people that are just trying to live their life.
I'm happy with my life - but this constant whinging and bitching and gaslighting from left is making kids sad. Now with the Dems in power, the kids are losing hope for their future and your new pathetic president has ruined your country in less than 2 years. If you live in the US you probably can't see what a joke your country is becoming, with Trump it was getting better, with Biden you are becoming a laughing stock and not taken seriously at all. All this woke crap and weird gender crap started in the US and like a cancer is spreading to other countries. It's getting to the point now where some are actually wishing we have WW3 soon so the reset button can be pressed and all the woke twats can be turned back into the dust they came from.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Loons are those who attack anybody with a divergent point of view without even trying to consider it or think what it may mean from the point of view of the other.
And this entire conversation started because he attacked anybody with a divergent point of view without even trying to consider it or think what it may mean from the point of view of the other.

What you have described is that people should be more woke, not less. While his argument was along the lines of "these woke people are bad, because they ignore my bigoted opinions about them".

Do you still think he is right?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm happy with my life - but this constant whinging and bitching and gaslighting from left is making kids sad. Now with the Dems in power, the kids are losing hope for their future and your new pathetic president has ruined your country in less than 2 years.
Gas lighting from Trump was far worse, the only difference is that your kids liked that he was so abhorrent.

Why did you bring your kids up to be so weak that they needed a sexual predator in the whitehouse who supported white supremacists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: