• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you feel the USA is better now than it was 22 years ago?

Are things getting better or worse for the "Greatest Country in the World"?

• Better

• Worse

• It's a mixed bag and very complicated and while I think some things have declined we do also have...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The self-called "greatest country in the world", can't overcome weapon related home violent affairs but they keep trying to become "the police of the world", while they sell weapons for feeding most conflicts all around the globe.

And now everyone can carry guns on public places, speaking of congruence...

So yes, they're even worse than the last week, let's not talk about years ago, there's no way to compare it.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The self-called "greatest country in the world", can't overcome weapon related home violent affairs but they keep trying to become "the police of the world", while they sell weapons for feeding most conflicts all around the globe.

And now everyone can carry guns on public places, speaking of congruence...

So yes, they're even worse than the last week, let's not talk about years ago, there's no way to compare it.
We don't want to be the police of the world. It's a drain on our resources and what other countries do is none of our business.

Are there no domestic violence cases in your country? If not, that is amazing. You must live in a utopia.

Last week was great. The Constitution was upheld and some power was relinquished from the federal government back to the states.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I normally go over there once every 5 or so years to stay for several months and have done since the 90s which in some ways I think gives me a unique perspective compared to gradual change being too little to notice. There has been a lot of change, some good, some bad, some things coming to a head* and other things also doing things. I would say it has lost a lot of its fearlessness (between the TSA and somewhat authoritarian response to kung flu... oh dear) which is bad. Politics is meh -- people always going to be upset but I am not seeing much to be upset about. The imaginary epidemics of racism and police violence is amusing to watch play out, though sadly it does seem to be informing some decisions in all sorts of odd ways.

*wages have not kept up with real inflation, house prices/supply has dropped like a stone, education is expensive and seemingly pointless for a lot of people for the cost it runs, manufacturing has left and there are only so many trades** where not everybody is suited to office type stuff.

**granted the trades are having a bit of a lack of people problem.

I would not take a time machine back but that is because I like modern medicine.

No all the kids of the kids grew up and are now having kids.
Are they though? There is a bit of a looming population crisis (and retirement probably before then) because nobody is squirting out kids. The amount of sexless males ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...icans-not-having-sex-has-reached-record-high/ ) and women over 30 without kids (while not impossible to have kids after 30... it is not the odds the want to play there) never mind the 2.whatever to effect population replacement.

Reactions: guisadop

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
SCOTUS disregarded the will of the people and chose the winner of the 2000 election, then we had a bunch of rights stripped away after the preventable 9/11 terror attacks. In hindsight we all should've realized this country was going down the shitter back then. OTOH, conservatives were at least finally willing to admit when GWB screwed the pooch toward the end of his second term, whereas they'd let their cult leader Trump drive this country straight off a cliff without so much as a questioning glance. So yeah, mixed bag.

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worse. But then again, so is the entire world as we know it, I would imagine.

Humanity in general has aged like milk probably.

Reactions: Digital_Cheese

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I normally go over there once every 5 or so years to stay for several months and have done since the 90s which in some ways I think gives me a unique perspective compared to gradual change being too little to notice. There has been a lot of change, some good, some bad, some things coming to a head* and other things also doing things. I would say it has lost a lot of its fearlessness (between the TSA and somewhat authoritarian response to kung flu... oh dear) which is bad. Politics is meh -- people always going to be upset but I am not seeing much to be upset about. The imaginary epidemics of racism and police violence is amusing to watch play out, though sadly it does seem to be informing some decisions in all sorts of odd ways.

*wages have not kept up with real inflation, house prices/supply has dropped like a stone, education is expensive and seemingly pointless for a lot of people for the cost it runs, manufacturing has left and there are only so many trades** where not everybody is suited to office type stuff.

**granted the trades are having a bit of a lack of people problem.

I would not take a time machine back but that is because I like modern medicine.

Are they though? There is a bit of a looming population crisis (and retirement probably before then) because nobody is squirting out kids. The amount of sexless males ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...icans-not-having-sex-has-reached-record-high/ ) and women over 30 without kids (while not impossible to have kids after 30... it is not the odds the want to play there) never mind the 2.whatever to effect population replacement.
The math doesn't explain the presence of people all around me. People are still breading

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
It's worse. Too many Woke and PC types have ruined it - free speech is less and less each week. To many soy boys and weird people with blue and pink hair going about. Police not being able to do their jobs properly, The Dems....say no more. Men thinking the are women and vice versa, men taking part in women only sports. People identifying as cats and inanimate objects. The woke - I already said this, but they need mentioned twice.

If I could go back in time and show the cavemen how people today would turn out, they would probably say "f*ck that", and go back to being monkeys.

USA used to be full of hot women, now it's full of weird people.

rqWZlYt.jpg

Last edited by mrdude,

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Why "22 years".
Might be connected to Sep11, an event that was cynically used to convince the populus to invade iraq. Alot of people see this as the point where it really went down hill.

Yascha Mounk on american hyperpolarization:
'The authors’ conclusion is startling: No established democracy in recent history has been as deeply polarized as the U.S. “For the United States,” Jennifer McCoy, the lead author of the study and a political-science professor at Georgia State University, told me in an interview, “I am very pessimistic.”

[...]

We urgently need visionary leaders and institutional reforms that can lower the stakes of political competition. Imagining what a depolarization of American politics would look like is not too difficult. The only problem is that America’s political partisans may already hate one another too much to take the steps necessary to avoid catastrophe.'
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...crat-republican-partisan-polarization/629925/

Reactions: cracker

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
It's worse. Too many Woke and PC types have ruined it - free speech is less and less each week. To many soy boys and weird people with blue and pink hair going about. Police not being able to do their jobs properly, The Dems....say no more. Men thinking the are women and vice versa, men taking part in women only sports. People identifying as cats and inanimate objects. The woke - I already said this, but they need mentioned twice.

If I could go back in time and show the cavemen how people today would turn out, they would probably say "f*ck that", and go back to being monkeys.

USA used to be full of hot women, now it's full of weird people.

rqWZlYt.jpg
Why has america got so polarised?

• Haha
Reactions: SyphenFreht
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.