Do you feel that Nintendo should've gave a warning to CFW users before the banwave?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by austin5623, May 29, 2017.

?

Should Nintendo have given a warning?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    25.1%
  3. It would've been nice

29 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. Why would they?

90 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. austin5623
    OP

austin5623 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2017
    United States
    Do you think Nintendo should've given a warning to CFW users basically saying, "Hey, uhh, if you keep using CFW, in the next few days, we will ban all who use CFW...", and then given people an option to get rid of CFW?

2. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    They did give you a warning, in the EULA you agreed to when you started using your 3DS. You broke that EULA, they took away access to their service, it's your own fault.

kehkou, IcebergMM, Hayleia and 30 others like this.
  3. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I agree with @Drakia, Nintendo did warn us.

And it's not as if there's no history of large public ban waves.

4. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    You would warn a thief that would enter your house at night?

I know the analogy is terrible, but I'm too lazy to think on a clever one.

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    They actually do give a warning, it's right on the back of every single game
    Untitled.png

6. KasaiWolf

KasaiWolf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2013
    Scotland
    I do feel for some of the people that had it done but it does say that it could happen. It's part of the risk when you use Homebrew.

7. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    I mean cfw did cost Nintendo 10s of thousands of dollars. There's probably atleast 1 Grand of pirated content on my 3ds alone.

8. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    moot . . . one needs to "buy" a game to see that

Last edited by wormdood, May 29, 2017
  9. Osakasan

Osakasan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    Actually, i think they should have, but

No, you don't. You can read the ToS first time you turn on the 3DS, and also the fist time you gain access to internet.

10. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    I came here only yo say this so ah yeah, you were kinda warned. Look people just don't cry. You installed the CFW knowing the risks, and it's not Nintendo's fault. They did what what they should have done long ago.
    I just see kids saying "Nintendo did wrong, they can do things agains piracy but this isn't good" well, and what do you expect? People get what they deserve, at least imo.

Zidapi and retrofan_k like this.
  11. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    We saw with 3DS what we'll probably have when we'll be able to pirate our Switch... It's a warning for the future

12. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    It's funny because in a way CFW pushed my 3DS collecting. That and Pokemon, somewhat wanting a console for each main Pokemon title starting at Gen 6. Currently at 7, which isn't enough since I ended up getting a second copy of Sun and Moon, but that's beside the point. I got two originally, before CFW, for Pokemon, trading with myself and all that. Then New 3DS XL came, got to have 2 of that, expecting right then and there that Pokemon would end up needing those consoles to run. Sure enough SM with extended memory mode, before Mode 3 came into fruition, the need for N3DS increased. I bought a 3DS out of horror of accidentally upgrading my very first one to 9.6 at the time, losing my precious RXTools (remember?). At that point it became CFW driven, and with A9LH, I got a sensation out of installing it on a newly purchased console, being somewhat over the moon when I got two more N3DS XLs last year, very close to each other. With N2DS XL, it's a combination of CFW, Pokemon, and just because it's the new shiny toy of Nintendo...that's more affordable than the fucking Switch.

Anyways, so CFW had a major hand in me giving too much money to Nintendo. And note, I don't pirate games, unless you count VC injection such as old main Pokemon titles like Crystal. What was the thread about again? Oh, man, whatever, it's always been a risk to use CFW, I guess the problem was being too comfortable with it.

GizmoTheGreen likes this.
  13. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    One of the answers should be, they already have given a warning so all other answers don't count. Anyone that doesn't check this answer is stupid.

14. Paccc

Paccc Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    It was pretty clear that CFW was at risk with every system update,
    so the understanding has always been stay offline and don't update.

The situation here is not much different from having a 12.0 forcing you
    to uninstall all CFW and you choosing to stay at 11.X and skip online.

The difference is that now you don't have a choice,
    but Nintendo may have been forced now that the realise they won't achieve a fully safe system

They could back down and release a 'system validator' to check your system
    for firm checksums and invalid tickets to let end-users 'upgrade' to a clean system.
    However since you can easily CFW again they probably keep it permanent.

15. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    It's silly that users do not know what CFW is and what impact it has when using such things online with company own servers. It's just a matter of time bans when will occur and then everyone goes into panic mode when it happens and wonders why. Whatever N has been using to gather data, this may have been in the pipeline for a long time and always read the small print too:)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I remember the Xbox 360 ban wave being pretty big when people used flashed drives before Jtag/rgh became a thing.

16. sorabora

sorabora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    What if you crossed your fingers when you started using it

17. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    I'm in pretty much the same situation with half a dozen 3DSes and 60 games. The I think as CFW users though, we are in a very small minority.

Last edited by Zidapi, May 30, 2017
    RustInPeace likes this.
  18. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    It's not a good idea this ban. People are going to think twice about buying a Switch now.

19. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    Nope, they'r gonna think think twice before pirating a Nintendo console again. Maybe you buy a machine only when you can steal the games, but most people buy a console because thay want to buy some of its games.

Catsinabucket likes this.
  20. NintendU_the_great

NintendU_the_great OFFICIAL GBATEMP TROLLER

Banned
    Oct 4, 2015
    India
    in yer toilet!
    ...or if the company which created the console (Nintendo in this case) purposely thinks your nation has bad choice in video games and doesn't release their games and console there, so you MANAGE to buy a console, but buying dem games is waaayyy too expensive. So THEN what do you do? Fucking pirate, of course.