Do you feel 'lonely' when you are offline?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Panzer Tacticer, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Panzer Tacticer
    OP

Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Right Here
    Ok myself, I spent the 90s chatting via ICQ. Spent this decade mostly posting on forums. The whole 'chat' thing mostly died out for me by 2005 and was on Yahoo before it finally dried up.

Today, hell I rarely have an IM program running, no point to have one on, no one ever said hello. Gradually all the contacts just faded away.

It's a bummer too, because you get 'used to' chatting with people. And then it's over, gone, done with. Leaves a hole in the day that before was 'full' sort of.

I don't 'game' online, so I don't have that outlet.

Been almost wondering if I should play a game, just to have the chat aspect. But I don't have the time to devote to getting a character to level whatever just so I can participate on raids so I can be worth having around so I can chat.

I just want the damned chat [​IMG]

It's not like I don't have 3d people in 3d land to interact with. I have a wife and son. And I see friends regularly enough. But, during the average day, it's just me, and the computer, and not much point to sitting in front of it hehe. During the height of my ICQ days, hell I might have 200 contacts and be zinging messages back and forth with 10 people in 10 conversations simultaneously (yes I like to multi task hehe).

Anyone else here 'crave' the sensation of 'hanging out' with virtual people?

2. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    I talk on two forums and a chatango for a site i mod.
    Other then that, when I'm not on the computer I'm mostly out.

3. ENDscape

ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Dec 14, 2007
    ``orz
    Try some online poker games.

4. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I have no friends, I am a pile of shit

5. InuYasha

InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    Well i'm still around just not on yahoo cause noone is ever on,hang around msn mostly.....

6. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    Yeah, I only use IM for real life friends nowadays.

Games... Runescape... World of Warcraft... I was in them mostly for the social aspect (real life friends or otherwise), and I never did get a character to raid status/high level even after playing them for a long time.

7. NeSchn

NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Troy,New York PimpStatus: King
    Not at all. I am always texting one of my friends or doing something for someone else or myself, so I don't feel lonely at all because I am never really unconnected with people.

8. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    EDIT: Retarded photo, tricks are for kids.

I don't rely on the internet for my relationships. If you were all wondering, you're all disposable to me [​IMG]

I'm a rather "island" type of guy. I like the solitude. It lets you think about yourself instead of others.

9. Elritha

Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Jan 24, 2006
    Canada
    I don't really feel lonely the majority of the time, even if I'm not interacting with people. I kinda like the quietness when I am alone, gives me time to think and do things I want to do, while not being disturbed. [​IMG]

10. outgum

outgum Pokemanz Master

Sep 22, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    i dont get lonely... i just have nothing to do

11. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Nothing to do? It's called masturbating, son.

12. Gore

Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 15, 2007
    United States
    this

13. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
    Sometimes? Nah more like bored really.

14. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Social networks are great help... as my contacts fade away, I can always make new ones with friends of friends.

15. outgum

outgum Pokemanz Master

Sep 22, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    That only entertains for so long buddy XD

16. blackdragonbaham

blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    Gambia, The
    hyper dystopian dimension
    yes the times of im's aren't no more for me too, just keep them running in the background for emergencies, questioning and talking with a hand of friends in a hand of days':. but i don't feel sad, the time i am at the pc i still have other things to do.
    @panzer tacticer, search for a hobby you can practicate so you won't have time to wonder about im's

17. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    @Panzer: I know what you mean. As a matter of fact, this past year has been so horribly busy that i hadn't been around here for so long, that i forgot how much i enjoyed it (and how relaxing it can be).

I had a moment, YEARS ago, when internet dropped at my folks house for about a 24 hr period. Ya know, one of those shitty hiccups that effects a small neighborhood or something. Nothing major.
    I panicked at the thought of not being able to talk to people on AIM (or maybe even PowWow, if it was that time period lol), and i realized... that's probably not good. The next day, i deleted AIM because i was addicted heh. *

*Hmm, that was just a small story, i'm not saying that about you. The first part was in agreement, the second was a "Hey, this just popped into my head, and is LOOSELY connected to the topic. *type type type*" Maybe i should not type everything that goes through my head. Like this. Or this. Or... you get the idea...

18. Raika

Raika uguu

Sep 15, 2008
    uguu
    I'm not lonely, in a sense, I like being alone, where the surroundings is peaceful and quiet.

19. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Agoraphobics never feel lonely.

20. yuki019

yuki019 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Canada
    Right here at GBAtemp! ^_^
    I agree.. [​IMG]