Do you feel controlling the horses in BotW is an improvement over past Zelda titles?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I guess so but not that much. If they were like in Red Dead Redemption I would have loved to ride 'em!

On the final chapter against Ganon where I had to ride a horse, that very horse was more of a challenge than Ganon himself. :P Frankly, I just prefer to walk/run or use the glider.

MontyQ likes this.

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    no it's pretty much worse soon as you run up to a slight rock sticking out of the ground the dumb shit just stops dead in it's tracks. and you can't call a horse anywhere you want unlike in OOT. horses are useless in this just run and climb everywhere

3. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Major improvement. I usually let the horse follow a trail (if it can) and go explore that area in great detail for Korok seeds and other things. You can pretty much start on one end of the map, press A a few times, then watch the game play itself. I definitely recommend you to try exploring with, 'Satori-san', but never un-mount--place a stamp in interesting areas you discover.

4. Wiisel

Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2008
    They wander off paths, get stuck on rocks, fall off cliffs, virtually deaf andthey are of little use in game unless you like taking the scenic routes plus Epona can be summoned in areas she cant be removed from.
    I spend most of my time killing them and flipping their lifeless corpses around the floor actually whilst typing I just realised I've not tried sticking octo balloons to horses.

5. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Use LotM. It's fairly intelligent and you pretty much can't fall below 4/5 spurs. The good thing about horses: you can use huge weapons with little effort to battle enemies.

6. ultramario1998

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    I don't really have any issues with the horses. The auto-pathfinding (following paths, auto-dodging trees/small rocks) is unobtrusive but useful, and they're certainly a lot more useful than just running

7. MontyQ

MontyQ GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2009
    Canada
    horse is fun for 15 seconds once lol i'd rather walk

8. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Sadly you can't stick octo balloons to enemies or corpses. This includes horses and NPCs. :(

(note that horses are really the only thing that have corpses in this game. everything else goes "poof" when they die. Except maybe Link. :P

9. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    i really dislike the steering in botw.
    it feels awful , i wish it was as well balanced as the Witcher 3

10. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The horses work fine for what little flat ground there is to cover in the game. I probably enjoy sneaking up on them to tame new ones more than spending a lot of time riding them around, though.

11. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    the only time i use horses is when them moblins fucks are on them and come riding up to me to attack. i quickly blow them off with a bomb arrow, steal their horse, run them over and ride away than abandon them later...as i was typing this i haven't tried using stasis on them near a cliff and pushing them off with a bomb :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Mar 28, 2017
    thorasgar and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  12. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    100% Best horse riding in any game imo, mostly the auto-ride.

13. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Once you open enough fast travel points horses become more useless especially around the countless mountains link has to climb but i do like the feature being in the game especially since you choose which one you want and can change appearances.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  14. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    btw have you guys seen
    SPOILS!

15. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    indeed.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

yeah, guys awesome, havent gotten off him in ages. Taking him everywhere.

16. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i thought you couldn't keep him also how did you get him off the mountain?

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Mar 28, 2017
  17. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It's good, but could be better. For me the only amazing thing is the auto ride. Much like in Witcher the horse just follows the trail, which means if I'm going somewhere far, that I can't quick travel to, I just put my controller down. The overall control is.. Meh.. They'll stop at every little thing. Can't even get the horse to jump some gates. So, that's cool.

18. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I had a strange glitch or bug when doing the horse mini game where you jump gates. Every gate was no problem except the one on the hill, I would hit the gate straight on with epona and she would randomly slide to the right the refuse to move. I finally got it after a few tries but it got pretty annoying.

PaBo and osaka35 like this.
  19. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    When compared the twilight princess HD it's a brilliant masterpiece of controls. But in isolation? eh, it's difficult to tell when your horse isn't going to do what you're thinking it will or should. Which shows some faults in design.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  20. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I think the horses are great, probably the most realistic horse riding in any video game title anywhere. I love that they have AI, and keep going when you're not controlling then directly. It makes fighting on horseback way easier.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Mar 29, 2017
    Meliodas2255 likes this.