Do you ever feel negative about buying a game that gets ported to modern console?

D

Deleted User

No you're not...

You're paying for internet access, that's it...

Paying for the games would mean money going to the publishers... you're just outright stealing the games...
Don't fucking start. Don't turn this into a "muh anti-piracy" thread.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason to sell is you'll never play them again. Cash is worth something to you. Games you'll never play again are worthless to you and are worth something to people who buy them.
Try to buy physical where possible because it's the same price usually and physical has resale value where download does not. Because physical has resale value it's cheaper than downloads.
But digital is easily transferred to another platform that may not be able to read the media that the game is stored on and has the positive point that it's impossible to damage the game...

Digital has both advantages and disadvantages...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

To be honest i have some mixed opinions about stuff like this, regarding this generation of games and consoles, with mention of nintendo switch getting a mario kart port, smash bros port, zelda breath of the wild (Maybe can't call it a port, i dunno) Then they got Final fantasy 10 HD ports... to ps4, the kingdom hearts 1.5 HD and 2.5 HD port to ps4, MAJORITY OF PSVITA GAMES ported to ps4 and such, is kinda nuts.

One thing i do like is on psn there is some games that has the branded motto of "Cross buy, cross pay, cross save" Where you can buy a game on playstation store, and get it for all available systems (PSVITA, PS3, PS4, PSP) as examples. But not every game gets this privlage of saving you money and require to buy it all over again to play on another system.

But stuff like Ultra street fighter 4, Devil may cry 4, Marvel vs capcom 3 on Playstation store, or maybe the Zelda wind waker and twilight princess HD which add some things to the game, like fixing previous issues with the game, added new content or features to give variety or just adding all previous added DLC that you might already have but find it unnecessary to get again. A upgrade adds new stuff that wasn't before. The HD collections of Kingdom hearts and final fantasy 10, Zelda wind waker and twilight princess adds new content, stuff we didn't have anymore, the main selling point isn't that is now in HD or better framerate.

I mean how do you feel about that, knowing i have both Kingdom hearts HD on ps3 and then have them wanna sell it on PS4 But offer no actual difference, same 1080P graphics, same performance and features. I can't tell the reason for this, i guess is not aimed at me, the difference in some ports are very small and not worth what could be consider upgrade but is probably more for people who doesn't have it or give them a reason to be interested by adding another game to a already small library for the console. But i'm asking normal people like me about the opinion. Every consoles main selling point is the exclusive content i thought.

You wish maybe you had waited longer before buying it, or you not regret this decision, or maybe even just will sell it and get the upgrade? I honestly never sold any game i owned, but is just me. I'm not some collector, i just can't part with stuff i worked hard for. :unsure:
I've purchased both the Wii version of Twilight Princess and the HD remake... I don't regret it one bit...

I've also purchased a couple virtual console games as well... (not sure if you'd qualify that as a "port" though...)

Last edited by DanTheMan827,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've also purchased a couple virtual console games as well... (not sure if you'd qualify that as a "port" though...)
PORT VS EMULATION

PORT
  • Runs on native hardware of the system
EMULATION
  • Runs on software built for the system
Ports usually are supposed to be enhancements, such as windwaker and twilight princess HD, final fantasy X HD and kingdom hearts HD remix. Usually offer something new like better visuals (HD) better performance (Framerate in some cases) Fixed bugs, problems, remade some features to be better or more enjoyable, adds new content.

Emulation is basically just software made to run on a console without much modifications, in other words is literally a previously released original programing made to work on whatever device used, like most compilation games (Sonic mega collection, gems collection, ultimate collection) Virtual console (Although is fact some have patches but not in roms themself but by on the fly real time during play) Playstation classics, (Like ps1 and ps2 games on ps3)

I already made several examples of ports, I am not talking about emulation, a Port. A Game that is reprogrammed to work on moderen console. My point was that there is games i own where i have them already but is ported to newer consoles and don't add any reason for someone who owns it already to get it other than "Is now availble for This console instead of that"

What i said is that if games are being ported to a more modern console but has not changed anything about it, than is i don't see why would someone want to get it. I never said ports were bad, it means more people get to play the game that is the best part. Maybe collectors, fans or other kinds of people like that may want to do stuff like that, but if you own Final fantasy X HD on ps3, is there any reason to buy it on ps4? How much different or better is the game besides "Is on ps4 and not ps3" They both have 1080P and the same exact content right?

Then the other point i was making is that if you did buy your game already for one system then see is gonna be on a newer one, but with more features and content. That does help sell the game but wouldn't the people who spend money on the current one feel like maybe they should have just waited? Cause now is like "I could have just gotten that one, it seems better decision than having to buy this and that but only that gets the better supported content."

Think only @FAST6191 understand what i was asking. Most likely it seems the reason to buy a port is if you don't have the game, have never played it, or have played and enjoyed it and wanted to do it again without needing too much effort in some cases.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PORT VS EMULATION

PORT
EMULATION
Ports usually are supposed to be enhancements, such as windwaker and twilight princess HD, final fantasy X HD and kingdom hearts HD remix. Usually offer something new like better visuals (HD) better performance (Framerate in some cases) Fixed bugs, problems, remade some features to be better or more enjoyable, adds new content.

Emulation is basically just software made to run on a console without much modifications, in other words is literally a previously released original programing made to work on whatever device used, like most compilation games (Sonic mega collection, gems collection, ultimate collection) Virtual console (Although is fact some have patches but not in roms themself but by on the fly real time during play) Playstation classics, (Like ps1 and ps2 games on ps3)

I already made several examples of ports, I am not talking about emulation, a Port. A Game that is reprogrammed to work on moderen console. My point was that there is games i own where i have them already but is ported to newer consoles and don't add any reason for someone who owns it already to get it other than "Is now availble for This console instead of that"

What i said is that if games are being ported to a more modern console but has not changed anything about it, than is i don't see why would someone want to get it. I never said ports were bad, it means more people get to play the game that is the best part. Maybe collectors, fans or other kinds of people like that may want to do stuff like that, but if you own Final fantasy X HD on ps3, is there any reason to buy it on ps4? How much different or better is the game besides "Is on ps4 and not ps3" They both have 1080P and the same exact content right?

Then the other point i was making is that if you did buy your game already for one system then see is gonna be on a newer one, but with more features and content. That does help sell the game but wouldn't the people who spend money on the current one feel like maybe they should have just waited? Cause now is like "I could have just gotten that one, it seems better decision than having to buy this and that but only that gets the better supported content."

Think only @FAST6191 understand what i was asking. Most likely it seems the reason to buy a port is if you don't have the game, have never played it, or have played and enjoyed it and wanted to do it again without needing too much effort in some cases.
Ah, that makes much more sense...

The ports without any improvements are really just a form of paid backwards compatibility since Sony never added any to the PS4...

But how many of those ports really have absolutely no improvements?

Even if the game has no improvements beyond just existing on the new system there's still the benefits that the console itself adds like game streaming.

Mainly it's just the publishers wanting to make a quick buck on game code and assets that they already have...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
nahhh , I buy a game once in a while , but other than that , i'm a pirate and don't regret it .....though I still have to pay my internet bill . so I am paying money .. to download them
...yeah...nice reasoning there, mate. :P

*meanwhile in a prison somewhere in the countryside*
Prisoner 1: hey...why are you in here for?
Prisoner 2: nothing. I'm innocent, man.
Prisoner 3: bullshit. I heard you robbed a supermarket.
Prisoner 2: yeah, so? It's okay 'cuz I bought stuff from their store once in a while. Besides...I had to pay for the gas to get to that supermarket, so it sort of evens out...right? :)

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PORT VS EMULATION

PORT
EMULATION

Ah, that makes much more sense...

The ports without any improvements are really just a form of paid backwards compatibility since Sony never added any to the PS4...

But how many of those ports really have absolutely no improvements?

Even if the game has no improvements beyond just existing on the new system there's still the benefits that the console itself adds like game streaming.

Mainly it's just the publishers wanting to make a quick buck on game code and assets that they already have...

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if it's a crappy port/remake like the abomination that is FFVI mobile, same applies to V but other than cases like that, no.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Only if it's a crappy port/remake like the abomination that is FFVI mobile, same applies to V but other than cases like that, no.
This. Good ports of console/handheld games are great things, upgraded textures, better framerate, extra additions, better gameplay, all sorts of bonuses. A good example of this would be the mobile ports of classic Sonic games, or the PSP ports of GBA games. I don't see why people wouldn't be receptive of quality ports.

jupitersj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a game I really love, added a good amount of new content, sometimes new control schemes (southpaw ps4 version last of us, left handers unite) or if the game was a product of passion by devs and not cranked out I may double dip and purchase again to support devs.

On PC I love when I upgrade videocards, because my entire steam collection becomes "remastered" =P

Molhel

Westworld Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not, because I love consoles and PC. I couldn't imagine my gaming life without my N64, PS2, SNES etc as well as my trusty PC. If it gets ported, cool. If it gets ported poorly, aww man. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released