Do you ever feel like you try too hard?

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you ever feel like you try to accomplish so much and you put so much hard work into something, yet it turns out that no one ever notices?

It feels like I do this to myself every month. I get myself wrapped up into doing something that I think I will love but deep in the back of my head, I know that no one will even come close enough to noticing the hard work I put in.

I put myself through the torture (without even knowing it) of working on something for hours upon hours only to realize that nobody will care. Examples would be; designing dozens of websites, creating YouTube videos for several years, attempting art for others, etc.

It's up until now that I've started thinking about this. I do so much for the entertainment of others and I know no one will notice. I always have that thought, yet I continue to do the work. I waste every day of my life trying to do something that I think will make others happy, but it doesn't.

What do you guys think? I just want to know if I'm not alone

Last edited by Xanthe,

Bingo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I am going to do something that others are going to see, I will push for greatness. But for that to happen, there has to be a demand. In the past I have poured my heart into projects that I personally wanted to do, as a means to express myself, and show my creativity. These projects were things that nobody asked for, and so they went unnoticed. From those mistakes, I've learned that in order to get people's attention, you need to give them what they want.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I am going to do something that others are going to see, I will push for greatness. But for that to happen, there has to be a demand. In the past I have poured my heart into projects that I personally wanted to do, as a means to express myself, and show my creativity. These projects were things that nobody asked for, and so they went unnoticed. From those mistakes, I've learned that in order to get people's attention, you need to give them what they want.
That's very true. I feel the same way.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm quite the opposite, actually; I typically feel like what I work for isn't enough. To piggy-back off your example, I could design dozens of websites or make youtube videos for several years, but I'll feel like I should have polished those websites more, or maybe my subscribers want more frequent uploads. I seem to have this mentality of "more is less, and less isn't good enough" (if that makes sense :P).

Reactions: Deleted User

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yep always. This used to give me gigantic stress during the past years, and made myself sick for people who didn't even care about my efforts.

I then reworked my mind to do the minimal effort required. If it's worth doing more, then I will. Not only this drastically reduced the stress charge, this also helped me to improve myself over various situations, even if I know there is still room for improvement.

A step forward is better than no progress at all.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Ye, almost everything I do.

Good example: https://gbatemp.net/threads/431125/
Look at the dates on the responses :cry:
Because I had to deal with licensing issues, and almost nobody noticed this project anyways, from the frustration I went cellNEIN on the source code, effectively deleting even the Github repo. But nobody cares anyways...

Reactions: Xanthe

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ye, almost everything I do.

Good example: https://gbatemp.net/threads/431125/
Look at the dates on the responses :cry:
Because I had to deal with licensing issues, and almost nobody noticed this project anyways, from the frustration I went cellNEIN on the source code, effectively deleting even the Github repo. But nobody cares anyways...
No offence but you are over reacting. Promizing project just died. Well :(

Reactions: DaMan

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
No offence but you are over reacting. Promizing project just died. Well :(

I'm not denying, I may be over-reacting, but since I can program, nobody gives a damn about it, especially not my "family". The only projects that get any attention at all are the TerraInvedit* series.

It looks like almost nobdy cares about homebrew any longer, unless it involves piracy in any way. But I won't start a rant now, it belongs elsewhere...

D

Deleted User

On youtube when I make some good content, nobody notices. Or maybe it was never good content in the first place???

(twilight zone music)

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but I often feel like I'm not trying enough (even though many would call me a workaholic)

I can relate to you, and my advice is, accomplish things to your own personal satisfaction, not for others, and you'll be a lot happier.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
No, but I often feel like I'm not trying enough (even though many would call me a workaholic)

I can relate to you, and my advice is, accomplish things to your own personal satisfaction, not for others, and you'll be a lot happier.
So much this! That was what made me sick of working too hard for nothing!

Reactions: Haloman800

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get this a lot. Maybe I'm a perfectionist or maybe I'm just too slow at what I do, I don't know. But I do know that it's difficult for people that don't understand the medium you're working in to appreciate how long a result you can be satisfied with can take to create.

However, I think it's better to spend your time doing something you're passionate about rather than wasting your time away, even if few people notice.

Reactions: Xanthe and Sono
D

Deleted User

I get this feeling all too often.

Yet I try to keep pushing myself to do said thing. At least it means something to me, who cares what those idiots have to think about it. They're all too wrapped up in themselves to notice.

Sorry if that was a little cynical.

Reactions: Sono

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Had two cheeseburgers and a coke to fuel me up.