Do you drive with a dashcam?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For my own safety, I like using my phone as the dashcam video recorder (front, unfortunately nothing at the back) as it can be used as evidence in case of an accident (or insurance fraud) than hearsays (in favor or against you).

That's just stupid. 😆

Reactions: Tomato123

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For my own safety, I like using my phone as the dashcam video recorder (front, unfortunately nothing at the back) as it can be used as evidence in case of an accident (or insurance fraud) than hearsays (in favor or against you).
Don't see a reason not to have one as long as you drive responsibly. If people are concerned about private conversations being recorded or something, you can usually turn audio recording off. You can get them for pretty cheap and even a low quality one is better than just your word alone. So for all the money and headaches one could save, I don't see why you wouldn't have one.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was rear ended recently. Broke some bones, am now on a cane from crutches. The person who rear ended me fought hard to say that I caused the accident by stopping short. Luckily, my state law says if you rear end someone in traffic, you clearly were:

A) Not paying attention
B) Traveling too fast for the conditions
C) Traveling too closely for traffic conditions

Had I had a reverse facing camera, it would have shown this asshole following very close to my cars rear end for well over 3 miles. I did not break check him. My guess is he looked down at his phone or radio instead of watching my taillights that were 14 inches from his front bumper and never hit the brakes, instead deciding to use my truck as his choice of "brakes".

Regardless, he got a reckless driving ticket and insurance rates that went higher. I got a trip to the hospital, my medical bills covered, and reimbursed for a totaled vehicle. Oh, and a reverse facing camera.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboyâ„¢: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly, I should buy one for my wife's car due to the city we live in. Wrecks are commonplace in this city. I've seen more cars flipped in this city than I have in my entire life

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd never drive a bicycle between cars and trucks as I'd feel unbalanced and at risk since they're far more powerful and dangerous.
They're not really considered much different from a motorbike when it comes to roads. You should be treated like any other vehicle on the road. Only major difference I can think of is when it comes to filtering through traffic (I think that's not allowed in most of the US though). At least in the UK, motorbikes and bicycles are allowed to filter through traffic, which unfortunately leads to some idiots trying to block off the middle of the road and causing accidents.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't think it's strictly needed where I live, but it can't hurt to have one. You never know what might happen. It's like insurance, hopefully you won't need it but it's really good to have when you do.
I don't drive, but if I did, I would at the very least use my phone camera (which is higher quality than even expensive dashcams you can get, judging by what I've heard/seen, but with the drawback of only being able to record the front)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Now that I hear it fully it sounds slightly familiar