do you download music?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tinymonkeyt, May 1, 2008.

?

do you download music? illegally i mean.

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
May 1, 2008

do you download music? by tinymonkeyt at 12:16 AM (3,354 Views / 0 Likes) 51 replies

1. tinymonkeyt
    OP

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    i only do at certain times
    and i dont use limewire or anything
    just like a random download link from a website
    and since im not a huge fan of music
    theres really no need for me to mass download anyway

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I have about 50gig of music and audiobooks ... downloaded from assorted places ...

3. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    I have one word for you: SkreemR!

4. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I only download soundtracks from games (though it's illegal either way). I don't really care much for other music though. Most of my music though is not illegal and is from OCRemixes.

5. ScuberSteve

ScuberSteve Newbie

Massive amounts of my music is downloaded.
    The only stuff that isn't is stuff kick-ass enough for me to want to buy.

Here are some albums I've bought:
    Shock Value (Timbaland)
    Joyful Rebellion (K-Os)
    In My Own Words (Ne-Yo)
    College Dropout (Kanye West)
    Late Registration (Kanye West)
    Confessions (Usher)
    FutureSex/LoveSounds (Justin Timberlake)
    Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (Outkast)
    Love.Angel.Music.Baby (Gwen Stafani)

And from the looks of it, I'm going to buy
    Voice of the Young People (Lil' Mama)

6. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I do. I don't want to waste money on music.

7. Pici

Member Pici GBAtemp Regular

France
    I buy and download AND buy music, just like games.
    I mostly listen to dance music, most artists don't mind if we download their music because they won't earn muh money selling 300 vynils, so I can download without being ashamed.
    By the way, i also buy vynils quite often, and CDs sometimes. The thing I'll never do is buy music over the internet. paying $2 to have a file on my computer ? no way, i do prefer material things.

8. acoustic.digital

Member acoustic.digital GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm a musician. I earn my money with music.
    So what do I need to earn money? People who buy it!
    It is totally okay if you download a few songs, but shouldn't everybody be supportive and buy the music from their favorite artsists?
    Please don't compare this with pirating video games, because its a whole different story. Artists like me pay sometimes more than we actually earn; if you have a record contract with a big label, they just suck the money out of you and keep a big share for themselves. IF you go independent (like me), you have to put a lot of money, love and effort in what you do (and we still don't get much money). And there's still people who rip the music and put it online, although the album costs only 10$.
    Thats ,simply put, not fair.

But if you get music from people who really don't give a shit about it, then it's okay.
    Anyway, buy the music you want to listen to, a lot of good bands die out just because nobody buys it but dl's it on the web.

9. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    There are several of these topics out there.

Here's some better questions.
    Do you know anyone that has never downloaded any music ever? And how are you going to prove it?

Everyone already knows downloading is wrong (except that .001% you paid for).
    Everyone already knows most people do it.
    Everyone already knows most people are of the opinion "I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so it wasn't really a lost sale, as I never intended to buy it so they lost nothing".

It's peculiar that there are these polls that blatantly want the membership to categorically admit to criminal activity.

Oh well, it's not like anyone is asking if you've ever raped someone or killed someone [​IMG]

10. tinymonkeyt
    OP

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    dui bu chiii
    (mandarin for sowwee)

11. Pici

France
    I understand, it isnot easy to be musician, nowadays.
    music industry is going to die, at least, the actual music industry, what we have to do is to find out a new way to sell music, because CDs are no longer convenient since everybody has an ipod and they won't rip their cd then tag it ect...

I think that the best way to earn money with music is playing gigs, until someone find a way to stop piracy or find a way to make people wnat to buy music, wiyh brand new concept or something.

12. acoustic.digital

Australia
    yes, i earn my money mostly with gigging, because it's just so damn painful to come out with a record. I think that australia is not a bad plae to live as a musician, because I can say that the aussie crowd is so much better and more into live music that the germans are, because i performed for quite a few years around there.
    i'm optimistic about the future of the music industry; i think that everybody has learned that it's useless to sell music only or put a really good and expensive copy protection on the disc that's gonna be cracked anyway by a person that was smarter than you.
    People have to appreciate music again, it's an art, and everybody listens to music constantly. music is a language, everybody understands it. if you don't wanna 'waste' you're money with buying records, go and see the artists live at least once. it would help a lot of musicians out there.
    i'm serious about it. learn to appreciate music again, it helps us all.

13. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I'm not a big fan of music but I listen to the radio sometimes and I listen to it online. I dont really download it. I did find a site a forum community where people made and hosted their own music and you could download theres. I dont support people who get paid for their "music" yet claim they just love what they do, the ones who swear up and down they only do it cause they love it. [​IMG]

Those liars. I support people who make music because they genuinely like it and do it habitually and play and entertain for free.

If you want to make a career of music thats cool. But admit that you do it because you get paid well to do something that you love, plenty of people do things they like for money so I wish that so many "entertainers" would quite lying through their false teeth.

14. acoustic.digital

Australia
    this is the most ignorant statement i've ever heard.
    do you know what it takes to be a good artist? do you know how hard it is to become really good at what you do? do you actually know what you're talking about?

15. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Been some years since I bought my last CD [​IMG]

16. Pici

France
    I totally agree, man, plus I heard that the aussie audience was great, i don't know why, though.
    I noticed that in my country (France), audience is quite blasé, and it makes me blasé, it's like a chain !

17. acoustic.digital

Australia
    true. there's live music everywhere, and if you're good you get heard. dunno about french people though : )

18. bluebright

Member bluebright GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    brissy has some great music venues. keep up the trippy music acoustic.digital.

19. distorted.freque

Member distorted.freque I'm getting mixed signals here!

Canada
    After reading all this, I sort of feel guilty. [​IMG] Right then. I shall buy CDs in the future! And not the fakes ones I used to buy in the Philippines. When I still lived there. [​IMG]

20. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Yes, I do now.

I used to have an iTunes account that had my aunt's credit card to pay for music and videos.
    It was all dandy until we had a money crunch, and I was told not to buy music from iTunes.

So, I snagged a Rapidshare account and started downloading entire albums.
    A Rapidshare account costs less monthly, and you get more for what you pay for (though, it is illegal).

Downloading music is just like not paying for a video game.
    We're not supporting the artist and developer who took the time and money to produce the media.

Now-a-days, everyone and their dog pirates.
    It's become so easy; so mainstream.
    Folks aren't being paid what they should be...

What's this world coming to?