Do you change video settings when you use RetroArch to play GBA games?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by SuperrSonic, Oct 1, 2013.

1. SuperrSonic
    OP

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    I've been wondering for those that use VBA Next, do you bother setting a resolution or leave it as is?

For me, I use a custom ratio of 480x320 without bilinear, and it looks good and sharp but small.
    For some games I change it to 600x400 with the bilinear filter and it fills enough of the screen to be reminiscent of the "full" setting on the GBP

2. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    I use 480*320/point as you said. If you really want a larger display and have a widescreen TV, you could always try 540*480 with your TV set to wide mode (with bilinear on, obviously). You'll maintain the correct aspect, and make use of most of your screen. Obviously that's a lot of scaling though and results in some pretty severe blurring.

3. SuperrSonic
    OP

Dec 9, 2011
    Doesn't work well for me, my tv is 4:3.

I think if RA used 608/597*448 instead of 640*480 for custom settings that would make 480*320 look bigger without change of ratio and would still look good.
    It's what the Naruto Collections disc uses for its GBA demos.

4. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    I'm not sure I follow you. Reducing the vertical resolution doesn't change the shape of your pixels, it just results in some lines not being rendered to; from the TV's perspective, a 448-line image is the same thing as a 480-line image, but there are 32 black lines. The difference for the user is probably minimal on most TVs since those additional lines sit in the overscan area, so display heights like 448 and 456 are a cheap way to increase a game's performance without greatly impacting on the player's experience. It doesn't make anything look bigger to use these resolutions, so a GBA game at 320 lines in a 448-line window is exactly the same height as a GBA game in 320 lines in a 480-line window.

About the biggest you can hit for a real number resolution on a 4:3 TV is 636*424 (a 3:2 image, same as the Game Boy Advance). If you don't mind changing the aspect by a fraction of a percent, you could go as high as 640*427 (3:2.0015625).

There is another option which you can't currently do in RetroArch due to the resolution being removed, but if you set the RA resolution to 512*480 (this resolution should be back in the next update) with a custom resolution of 480*400, then if my math is right you'd be getting a correct 3:2 image (a 512-wide image is stretched horizontally by a factor of 25%) where the horizontal scale is an integer (2), potentially improving the image quality slightly. Then again, your vertical scale is exactly 2.5, so who knows how it'd actually end up looking. In any case, the end-result would be slightly smaller and sharper than the equivalent at 640-wide.

Whatever you decide on is going to be a compromise between display size and sharpness, obviously; where the sweet spot is will be different for everyone.

5. SuperrSonic
    OP

Dec 9, 2011
    I see, thanks for clearing that up.

I was trying to imitate what this emulator does
    This is how the emulator looks like, it uses 448 lines according to Dolphin and the border used by the emu.

I changed the border to green to highlight where the border ends.

coagb-1.png

The emu seems to be using 470*320 and just stretches the difference.
    I'm having a hard time understanding what it does to look bigger and use no filtering.
    When I compare this to RA, RA is a lot smaller.
    This led me to believe that using 448 would make it bigger.