Hardware Do you believe the Wii U will pick up?

Do you think the Wii U WILL pick up sales?

• Yes, by years end

Votes: 41 47.1%
  • Yes, by next year

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • No it will continue to slump along

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • No it will completely fail

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • It could, but it won't

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
OP
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hands up, who here believes the Wii U will NEVER pick up?

And who here belives the System will pick up by years end?

Stand your ground, time will tell. Personally, I belive by years end the system has picked up and by next year it will stay solid and not slump around like it does now!

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Smash Bros will give it a huge push, and when we get REAL Mario/Zelda titles (NSMBU, 3D World and Wind Waker HD are nowhere near that definition), we'll see sales skyrocket. If The Pokémon Company decides to get a proper title on it as well (I'm thinking Stadium/Battle Revolution or Colosseum style, not spinoffs like Rumble, and I highly doubt it, since Battle Revolution bombed hard enough for them to skip on a console title for the 5th generation), then we would have a huge jump, but I'm not seeing this last point happening.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Wii-U will sell fairly well, to hit the same type of sales as the Wii it would need a few things.... A huge price drop to Wii launch levels $250 that would jump sales a bit. Some more games never hurts.

On a personal desire of mine is to see more VC games released and at a faster pace. 3-4 VC games a week would be awesome in my opinion, the reason I say 3-4 is that odds are I will only want 1 of them at most... That pace of 3-4 a week will probably never happen as from what I understand the VC on the Wii-U is not just a regular emulator?

As more of a prediction of sales, I expect the Wii-U to outsell the competition by how much is too hard to tell right now. Could be a lot, could be a little and as vague as that is, that is as precise as dare venture.

This is how vague I feel right now, lifetime sales for the Wii-U between 50 million units and 100 million... lol

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll probably do better than the N64 but not really do all that well.

Like Nintendo games will help pick it up but it won't have much that'll capture the audience the Wii had. Mario Kart maybe, but I doubt a lot of people will switch over from the Wii to the Wii U. The Wii was a fun toy, it had its time, but they don't want another one.

So it'll sell to people who like Nintendo games and it'll sell Nintendo games but it won't gain a broad audience.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to agree with Guild on this one. It's the only reason I'm going to buy one.

We buy Nintendo to play Nintendo. We buy the mafia Sony (And Micro$oft) mostly for third parties IMO. Sure, each have some 1st party titles (Sony more so) but most of the "big" games on those consoles were made a third party.

EDIT: Not to mention that most of Nintendo's target audience couldn't give two craps about them anymore.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
All it really needs is better advertising and games, once they start doing that the system will pick up.
If they continue what they are doing now, they are surely going to suffer a lot of loses from it.

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think the ps vita will pick up? Maybe maybe not only time will tell and after the release of the ps4 and Xbox one can we then tell.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii sold like hotcakes because of the motion control gimmick. Motion controls were a concept that absolutely anyone, from littlest tykes to the grumpiest old men, could easily understand. With a cheap price tag, it also meant that just about anyone could hop on board.

The Wii U, though, doesn't have that. It's not something that people seem to readily understand or care for. It doesn't excite people the way the Wiimote did, if they're even aware what it is at all (I still talk to people who are utterly convinced that the Wii U is just a controller add on for the original Wii). Beyond that, a lot of the casual audience that Nintendo drew to the Wii don't really care about consoles anymore; many have moved on to mobile gaming. I don't think that dropping the price tag will do much for the system, either; that's still not going to change the core issues here.

The "hardcore" crowd aren't going to flock to the system, either. Most people in that crowd aren't going to care about the touchpad controller (if anything, some will see it as a detriment). Sony and Microsoft's systems are much more powerful and more designed like PC's, which means that the current triple entente of multiplats (PC/Xbox/PS) will be even more solidified. Porting a title over to the Wii U is going to require a lot more effort, time, and money from developers, which means that most developers will likely opt not to, which means that Nintendo's dearth of third party support is going to persist. That's going to keep a whole lot of people away.

Nintendo will produce Nintendo games, of course, so Nintendo fans will likely have all they need. Once they see the title they've been holding out for (A new Mario Kart or Zelda or what-have-you), they'll hop on board. That'll keep the system afloat, sure, but it won't carry the system to victory.

Personally, I think we're looking at another Gamecube here - it'll manage a marginal profit in the long run and subsist on the dedicated fandom already in place while their handheld division picks up the slack.

Reactions: trumpet-205

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I said "by years end" because that's when I think it will begin to noticeably improve. Quite a few games are coming out by the end of the year, and the same for early 2014.

As everybody everywhere has pointed out, the big problem with the Wii U is the limited game library (although that joke has been made about like every console ever made). More games = more sales = more third party support = even more games.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
It doesn't excite people the way the Wiimote did
lol

Anyway I agree with most of the replies above. Price tag is an issue compared to the Wii. Nit enough support of even first party titles as of now. Not a jump in gaming concept as the Wii did coming from the gamecube era.

I voted by the end of the year since its holiday seasons and all, but given that most upcoming games are scheduled for 2014, it might pick up next year.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I voted "end of next year". The lack of games isn't really the issue...it's those other two new consoles. Even with all the controversy (on xbone, mostly), that is what draws all the attention. Once all that hype is settled down, they'll start to see that their consoles don't have that many more games either (even less if you take note of backward compatibility). And that games aren't that much more pretty than "last gen". And similar similarities.
From the hardcore gamers, the turning point will most likely be when smash bros and bayonetta 2 are released (both next year). For the casual gamer...that'll be a hard one (how do you compete with a immense-ass library of cheap or F2P games?).

What happens on August 4th?
Release day of pikmin 3 (in America...it'll be in Europe the 25th of July). But...I'm skeptic. Yes, it'll boost sales a bit, but I doubt it will make much impact in Europe or the US.

Reactions: Duo8

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Wii kicked ass, so will the Wii U, the good games come out next year, lets see what happens till then, but so far the Wii U is the only next gen console released, while Sony and Microsoft are still bitching of who decides to launch it first, Nintendo's already making money.

Reactions: Duo8

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Pikmin effect on Japan was interesting ...hope that with all the first-party announced to be launching in the end of the year, that it sells even faster by then

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
List of coming games
Source

Fkde53t.png

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat