Do you believe in life after death?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a religious person so the whole "When we die we'll either go to heaven/paradise or hell" though with so many people claiming that they saw the after life it has made me curious but there's no solid proof (actual images and/or sound).

What are your thoughts?

I used to think that when we'd die we'd just die and that'd be it, but who knows, there might be something else to it (sure as heck I wouldn't be willing to try it out, lol).

What question is that ? I am curious. Well, everyone have different point of view. Everyone died but what's next ? I have heard that over and over. When someone say this and that then it leads to one another and more argument become endless continuously. It's not worth to discuss it. Some people are religion believing that they died and gone to heaven, some believe to died and await for Jesus to come and calling them to coming out and removed the wicked system and Earth become a paradise and they lived forever perfectly that ADAM and EVE lost, and some believe that we died and thats it due to generation by generation forever (Really ? Look at this horrible world right now.. forever ? I cannot comment on it, thought). See ? its pointless, really.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to after life theology, let me quote from what we have of the Gospel of Mary.

8) And she began to speak to them these words: I, she said, I saw the Lord in a vision and I said to Him, Lord I saw you today in a vision. He answered and said to me,

9) Blessed are you that you did not waver at the sight of Me. For where the mind is there is the treasure.

10) I said to Him, Lord, how does he who sees the vision see it, through the soul or through the spirit?

11) The Savior answered and said, He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind that is between the two that is what sees the vision and it is [...]

(pages 11 - 14 of lection 7 are missing from the manuscript)

What we see is filtered through the mind, the ego, ones own empirical, mental, and therefore emotional experience through the physical world and social conditions be they influence from their family, school, or the religions condoned by media, politics, advertising, & what have you.

That being said, the Truth, though not fully understand can be experienced and Known. The Greeks (who stole and borrowed from the cultures they oppressed) termed this as Gnosis in their own language, and to make the opposite claim, you'd put an "a" in front, for in Greek, inserting an "a" was often used for the English equivalent of "anti."

Anyhow, as for the question, do you believe you exist? Life and Death are one in the same, and we have no methods within physical science to experience reality outside of the flesh and five senses, in a manner that we can record it, share it, and prove it. On the other hand we can not explain the source of the materials required to initiate what we call the Big Bang THEORY. Nor can we explain what would put such a bang into effect. We do not understand what makes us different than other mammals, we do not understand why we breath, think the though "I", create, learn through play, adopt, grow, fall prey to illusion, sadness, doubt, and feelings of defeat, or go the other way and think of our selves as God, taking what we want, doing what we want, regardless of it's threat to self, neighbor, family, let alone health and mental/emotional clarity and equilibrium. Again, unlike other species.
We do not understand why it is that seemingly out of nothing and out of Chaos and Natural order came about. Why it is that everything within nature is designed with a form, set of laws, and definite purpose.
So if you believe that you exist, then you must know, ego or no ego, something about you carries on in some way shape or form. Sadly the New Agers, pseudo scientiest, pseudo psych-ologists, corrupt institutions built upon the name and truths of legitimately good people, and clueless achademics have a monopoly on much of what we believe or think we know because we have been conned to not even look, not even knock, and to leave some stones unturned.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It's one of those mysteries that we won't know until it's too late. But...

Taking a phrase from Albert in What Dreams May Come (with Robin Williams, RIP) - "If you're aware you exist, then you do." I honestly can't imagine that my life would just stop after death, that there would be nothing at the end, mentally, because even if there was nothing, I'd be aware of it, so I'd exist in some form to experience such nothingness.

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether you believe in Christianity or not, I find it intriguing that you have a religion based on Jesus who was publicly executed (so I imagine his death would have been pretty easy to verify at the time) and afterward was seen alive by around 500 eyewitnesses, many of whom died gruesome deaths themselves because they would not recant that they had seen Jesus alive. I realize that's not bulletproof - if you choose not to believe it, you can come up with some alternate explanation of what was going on. But, it's interesting that, before his death, Jesus was continually promising his followers eternal life, it's as though he came back to life just to prove he was capable of delivering on those promises.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If they didn't recant how do we know there were 500 witnesses? For that matter, how do we know that Jesus was continually promising eternal life? The earliest books of the new testament were written long after his death...

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's pretend for a second that there is a heaven and a hell. The good people go to heaven, and the bad people go to hell. If you go to heaven, but have loved ones that were sent to hell, are you aware of it? How could you be at peace knowing that the ones you loved are suffering for all eternity? Or perhaps you'd be blissfully ignorant of their situation, and spend the rest of your afterlife in a lackadaisical stupor, while they are spending theirs in eternal suffering, for breaking even one commandment.

That's another thing that is a crock of bullshit. Eternity. It doesn't seem fair that someone should be miserable forever, just for a few poor choices. Suppose a man committed adultery in a moment of weakness, and stole the favorite shirt of the his concubine's spouse on the way out, then dies in an accident shortly after. Should he be tortured by demons in the fiery pits of hell FOREVER?

Say an atheist dedicates his life to helping the less fortunate and to the betterment of his fellow man. In his life, he finds a way to cure cancer. Should he be sent to hell just because he didn't agree to worship some mystical deity like some mindless drone? Religious people are so ignorant in the way they try to give their lives some form of higher importance. All religion is is a form of mind control. People should be good because it's the right thing to do, not because they're afraid of what will happen after they die if they don't.

If there can only be one true religion, does that mean that billions of people throughout time each with their own cultural and religious beliefs taught to them by those who came before them are burning in hell just because they followed what they were conditioned to believe?

What this world needs is a religious cleansing. Religion has been the cause of so many wars and has thrown the world into chaos. Just look at the middle east.

Last edited by Drak0rex,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's one of those mysteries that we won't know until it's too late. But...

Taking a phrase from Albert in What Dreams May Come (with Robin Williams, RIP) - "If you're aware you exist, then you do." I honestly can't imagine that my life would just stop after death, that there would be nothing at the end, mentally, because even if there was nothing, I'd be aware of it, so I'd exist in some form to experience such nothingness.
sounds like Albert making quite an extraordinary assumption that he'd be aware of nothingness.

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the majority of the NT was written prior to AD 70 (for instance, Luke and Acts were likely written as legal documents for Apostle Paul's trial before Caesar). As far as the 500, this is mentioned in the gospels, but, again, I understand that's only a valid argument if you already believe in the Bible. Still, the 500 aside, in the apostles writings they often emphasize their witness to Jesus' resurrection. Realistically, the smart thing for Jesus followers to do (if his resurrection were false) would be to lay low and go back to their lives after he was crucified. Even though Christianity was eventually twisted into something that gave its leaders political and economic power, at the time of the apostles, all being a church leader got you was persecution and death, so why make up stories to get yourself killed?

Drak0rexk, I agree that most of the crap in this world has spawned from religion (though to be fair, some good and charitable things have come from it too), and it has usually been used as a tool to manipulate the masses. I would contend that those who have done so were not adhering to biblical Christianity, but their own distortion of it.

Keep in mind too, that just because God does not run things the way you think he ought, or in a way you feel is fair, has no bearing on whether or not he exists.

Most religions take the position that you do enough good and avoid doing enough bad = positive version of afterlife, do enough bad and the inverse is true. Biblical Christianity takes a different stance. Jesus said he did not come into the world to condemn it, but to save it - because he that believes not is condemned already. Actions have nothing to do with it - an unbeliever is condemned before he even gets started. This is echoed in Paul's letter to the Ephesian church - "we are saved by grace through faith (belief), not by works lest we would have reason to boast" In other words, we can't be good enough to get into heaven (even old testament says our righteousness is like filthy rags) or bad enough to merit hell (because we start off condemned to hell already). Faith is kinda like belief, but it's belief squared - where you not only believe but base your life, decisions, and goals on that belief - bet the farm on it- and that's what gets you in right with God (according to Christianity).

So, if we have a God that allowed his son to die to save our worthless butts (cause God sure wasn't obligated to do anything at all), and someone decides to crap all over that and say, "I can be good enough on my own", maybe you think that's unfair, but I can at least see where He's coming from.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suspected there would be many different approaches to this topic; and my suspicions were correct! Many religions that people follow believe in day of judgement, leading you to either heaven or hell; that's your life after death. I follow that belief as it is part of Islam.

But, to be quite honest, not wanting to start an argument here; but most people usually convert into a religion to have a type of closure and comfort of what'll happen to them after they die.

Reactions: Deleted User

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you two are looking at it like Albert is a hippie or something.
It was not my intention to imply such. It is merely my assertion that his logic is flawed because he started from an un-backable assumption. He may as well start with the assumption that there is a god and then use logic from there to prove there's a heaven. It's already a failed exercise when your starting point isn't grounded in facts.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone cursed by religions (I lost faith in God) I don't believe in life after death.

I hope you regain your faith. God doesn't force, say, the Catholic church to become corrupt/full of pedos and money hungry but rather our own free will. Free will is a double edged sword and we humans often get in trouble because of it. Better than being a bunch of mindless fucking robots though. Religion is one of those things that will be argued for all eternity because you can't prove God, life after death or any sort of spiritual phenomenon scientifically.

I would rather die naturally despite the fact that technology that could extend life(possibly forever) is advancing very quickly. I'd rather just be human, although I believe in doing everything we can to, say, eradicate all types of cancer and improve transplant technology to the point where we can just grow new parts for people who need transplants, making immunosuppressants(sp?) unecessary.

Reactions: NEP and VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?