Hacking Do you arrange your ROMs/Homebrews?

adyum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering if anyone categorized their roms or anything like that? I considered doing it by genre, but I am not sure. Also do you rename them or keep them at their current name?

And a quick question that I am pretty sure I know the answer too but I am going to ask any, can you put your sav files in a different folder than the roms and still have them run?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I use NDScrc to keep then named correctly and sorted by release date, but I don't separate them into folders. I don't see any reason to unless you're one of those people that has to have 1000 roms.

Edit: I just noticed this was in the R4 forum.
If you mean sorting them on the SD card, I have them sorted by name and just leave them in the root of the card.
I believe you can put them in other folders and still use them, but the sav files have to stay in the root.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I use R4 Commander for all my organizing needs.
wink.gif

The sav files have to be in the same folder that the game they're for is in.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I put my DS ROMs in a folder named "NDS"

SNES ROMs in "SNES", Mega Drive ROMs in "Genesis", you get it.

I leave my homebrew on the root though.

~Nero

nexus7412369

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just put the games and homebrew i use the most on the root and use dsorganize to hide any excess files that i dont use. Any homebrew that i dont use a into a hidden homebrew folder.

Dardon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alphabetical order in the SD's root directory. ROMs I don't use sit in a folder called "DS", with a sub-folder called "Saves" to store .sav files.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Code:
CycloDS--->Homebrew--->[folders with homebrew, eg. Colors]--->[homebrew file, eg. Colors.nds]

Â--->Games--->Chris's Games (me)--->[games]
        --->Dorothy's Games (sister)--->[games]

I have Rominator set up to think that the Chris's Games and the Dorothy's games folders are different flashcarts, so Rominator works flawlessly with my double-folder set up.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rename them from the XXXXGameName(U).nds to just GameName.nds, and put them neatly in a "Games" folder on my card. That's all I do to organize things, lol. Homebrew in the "Homebrew Apps" or "Homebrew Games" folder, obviously depending on what it is.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just put my games in a folder called game101 then homebrew in a folder called programs (each program gets its own folder) Put the few mp3s i have in a folder called Music and the music videos in a folder called MusicVideos

zeppo

change my avatar!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a folder called "games" in the root of my micro sd, and withing that the games are sorted by genre. there are 6 or 7 genres, and each one has like 4 or 5 games in it (it's a 2 gig micro sd)

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My hard drive holds all the downloaded ROMs (and I do mean ALL of them, zipped in packs of 50
wink.gif
). On my R4, I use a folder called "DS Games" for the games. Homebrew tends to go in there too unless it has special folder needs. I have a folder called "Media" on the R4 for....wait for it.....media.
ohmy.gif

As far as renaming ROMs, hiding files and whatnot, right-click in Windows does that just fine.

The only real outside programs I use for the R4 are NDSTokyoTrim, BatchDPG, the ARM fix (when needed) and Yasu's cheat code editor. Anything else just seems kinda useless to me.

Oh, and I can't forget the infinite usefulness of WinRAR.

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
Like several people in here, NDS roms in ..\NDS, SNES in ..\SNES, NES in ..\NES.

And a few homebrew games (LemmingsDS comes to mind) have their own directories, but otherwise, homebrew and emulators all go in the root.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just throw a few on the R4 and after a week (usually takes that long to beat a few games) and toss on a few the next week. Everything is on the root no mess/fuss to worry about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.