Do you allow younger relatives play older rated games?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A situation has occured where I had to look after my 10 year cousin while his parents were called away to an emergency. Obviously video games was the main time killer but after trying all the Nintendo games like Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Zelda, he started bugging me to try the older rated games in my 360 collection. I definately said no to games like GTA but eventually allowed one game to let him play. Halo 4.

As predicted, the opening scene was "SO AMAZING" according to him but then immediately lost interest super quick and went back to watching Youtube of lets players who were streaming GTA V and other older rated games because for some strange reason, his mother allows him to watch this but absolutely forbids him from playing these games.

So this brings up a question that makes me wonder. For people with kids or younger family, are you like your parents where, "NO OLDER GAMES FOR YOU" or do you actually let them play them because you trust that they are able to handle those games?

Coolsonickirby

Trophies
Website
coolsonickirby.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... The only time I let my younger brothers or cousins play older rated games is if the game has no inappropriate stuff like Smash Bros. I remember when I was a kid, me, my brothers, and my cousins used to play Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

konsolenumbau.expert

Trophies
Website
konsolenumbau.expert
XP
Country
Germany
Ohhhh very hot conversations cause of that here in My own build little family... Jessy (37), Liam (7), Bryan! (9) Me (37) and a few Dogs ans a Cat..... I'll catch you later as I have to earn some money for them right now[emoji23] will Definitly come back to this one in the evening...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, my nephew likes playing GTA V, but some times I allow him to play Mario 64.
It is older for sure, and it is rated also, an older rated K-A game.

are you like your parents where, "NO OLDER GAMES FOR YOU"
I don't remember that being a thing back in the day, AFAIK most parents didn't give too much of a fuck... (not that it was good or bad)

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
My parents never cared, so it was never an issue for me. I was playing GTA VC when I was like 7 or 8, my little brother played it/watched me play it when he was 6.

But it also depends on the game, I suppose. I probably wouldn't let a 10 year old play Alien Isolation or games that would genuinely scare the shit out of them/give them nightmares, but stuff like GTA or Doom or CoD would be no problem.

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
More than half of my then friends owned San Andreas when they were preteens

and to the best of my knowledge nobody of them is overly violent

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the parents and the child's behavior. When i was younger, i was only allowed to play Halo CE with the volume turned off so i wouldn't hear any swearing. Now, my parents wouldn't block off evil or violent things in my life, but would take the time to sit me down and tell me why something is bad. They knew i needed to know these things but they wanted me to hear it from them. They would be with me playing these games. That's just my own experience. I was once that younger sibling who's older brother played violent games.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
My parents didn't worry about violence in video games, they knew I knew it was "fantasy"/"make believe". Hell, I was encouraged to play with a dollar's worth of tokens in the laundromat which had a Mortal Kombat 1 arcade cabinet. It was fun.

I was a tween when I got my first console, and for the longest time, all I had was my SNES and Ultimate MK3 AND Kirby Super Star...

Now, I tend to err on the "safe" side with my nephews. They just get exposed to Mario and Kirby at a young age. (Oh, watching four year olds play Mario Bros 1-1 is entertaining because most adults know the level by heart these days!)

Last edited by astrangeone,
D

Deleted User

my parents basically restricted me till I became 14 y/o.
Then they wouldn't care and let me play anything. Yeah, talk about being restricted... Still, I mostly play MMO Games so eh.

Reactions: ShonenJump
D

Deleted User

I wasn't very interested in playing more "mature" games when I was younger, I mainly played Mario Kart and LittleBigPlanet. There was a little while where I wanted to play Red Dead Redemption though, and my parents let me since all I ever did in that game was run around and shoot people (or sometimes animals) until I got caught. Other than that I don't think my parents ever let me play any games that were above my age rating when I was younger. Now they don't really care what I play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...