Do you allow younger relatives play older rated games?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    A situation has occured where I had to look after my 10 year cousin while his parents were called away to an emergency. Obviously video games was the main time killer but after trying all the Nintendo games like Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Zelda, he started bugging me to try the older rated games in my 360 collection. I definately said no to games like GTA but eventually allowed one game to let him play. Halo 4.

As predicted, the opening scene was "SO AMAZING" according to him but then immediately lost interest super quick and went back to watching Youtube of lets players who were streaming GTA V and other older rated games because for some strange reason, his mother allows him to watch this but absolutely forbids him from playing these games.

So this brings up a question that makes me wonder. For people with kids or younger family, are you like your parents where, "NO OLDER GAMES FOR YOU" or do you actually let them play them because you trust that they are able to handle those games?

konsolenumbau.expert likes this.
  2. Coolsonickirby

Coolsonickirby GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    United States
    Hmm... The only time I let my younger brothers or cousins play older rated games is if the game has no inappropriate stuff like Smash Bros. I remember when I was a kid, me, my brothers, and my cousins used to play Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

3. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Ohhhh very hot conversations cause of that here in My own build little family... Jessy (37), Liam (7), Bryan! (9) Me (37) and a few Dogs ans a Cat..... I'll catch you later as I have to earn some money for them right now will Definitly come back to this one in the evening...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I actually don't care what they play, I just can't sell older rated games to kids below the rated age.

PokeAcer likes this.
  5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Well, my nephew likes playing GTA V, but some times I allow him to play Mario 64.
    It is older for sure, and it is rated also, an older rated K-A game.

I don't remember that being a thing back in the day, AFAIK most parents didn't give too much of a fuck... (not that it was good or bad)

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Jul 25, 2017
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    My parents never cared, so it was never an issue for me. I was playing GTA VC when I was like 7 or 8, my little brother played it/watched me play it when he was 6.

But it also depends on the game, I suppose. I probably wouldn't let a 10 year old play Alien Isolation or games that would genuinely scare the shit out of them/give them nightmares, but stuff like GTA or Doom or CoD would be no problem.

THEELEMENTKH likes this.
  7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    More than half of my then friends owned San Andreas when they were preteens

and to the best of my knowledge nobody of them is overly violent

8. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    an anti-anime bunker
    It depends on the parents and the child's behavior. When i was younger, i was only allowed to play Halo CE with the volume turned off so i wouldn't hear any swearing. Now, my parents wouldn't block off evil or violent things in my life, but would take the time to sit me down and tell me why something is bad. They knew i needed to know these things but they wanted me to hear it from them. They would be with me playing these games. That's just my own experience. I was once that younger sibling who's older brother played violent games.

9. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    As soon as it's PEGI-16or above, I wouldn't give it to younger children. But for PEGI-12, well, Smash Bros has that rating so lol.

dsionr4 likes this.
  10. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    My parents didn't worry about violence in video games, they knew I knew it was "fantasy"/"make believe". Hell, I was encouraged to play with a dollar's worth of tokens in the laundromat which had a Mortal Kombat 1 arcade cabinet. It was fun.

I was a tween when I got my first console, and for the longest time, all I had was my SNES and Ultimate MK3 AND Kirby Super Star...

Now, I tend to err on the "safe" side with my nephews. They just get exposed to Mario and Kirby at a young age. (Oh, watching four year olds play Mario Bros 1-1 is entertaining because most adults know the level by heart these days!)

Last edited by astrangeone, Jul 25, 2017
  11. dsionr4

dsionr4 Gbatemp's Shonen Character

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Space
    m rated? No. Teen/12+ yes

never understood halo mature rating the game looked liked a teen/12+ game

Last edited by dsionr4, Jul 25, 2017
  12. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    hmm, is it bad if I let me 9 year old sis play Splatoon 2 which is rated 10+ by esrb, hehe

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Yep. Never seen the need for or sense in ratings, even if they were transparent and consistent in how they are set up.

dsionr4 likes this.
  14. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    Sure, why not? I played a shit ton of GTA 2 when I was 7.

15. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
    Lol my parents said im not allowed to play M Rated games (like GTA) but when i play them they don't even know that they are rated.

dsionr4 likes this.
  16. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    my parents basically restricted me till I became 14 y/o.
    Then they wouldn't care and let me play anything. Yeah, talk about being restricted... Still, I mostly play MMO Games so eh.

dsionr4 likes this.
  17. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    dsionr4 likes this.
  18. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I've never believed in depriving anyone of any form of information, regardless of demographic, so yes.

19. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    nope, my parents didn't let me play them, and I don't either, i was 11 when I got my PSP with God Eater Burst and Resistance : retribution and my parents didn't let me play either.

20. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I wasn't very interested in playing more "mature" games when I was younger, I mainly played Mario Kart and LittleBigPlanet. There was a little while where I wanted to play Red Dead Redemption though, and my parents let me since all I ever did in that game was run around and shoot people (or sometimes animals) until I got caught. Other than that I don't think my parents ever let me play any games that were above my age rating when I was younger. Now they don't really care what I play.

lcie nimbus likes this.