CJL18

OP
Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
i have to admit back in 2007 when i bought my psp i would have never bought it if i couldnt put custom firmware on it and play backups and homebrew, but it's 2010 and there is nothing coming out for it that makes you go wow! The system is dying and unless they have some amazing titles coming up in this years E3 you can offically say psp is a failed product. Anyone agree?

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont think its a fail, homebrew is greta on it and it has so many amazing games, this year:
Resident Evil Portable
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

And I know they will announce lots of good stuff in e3:http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=216826&hl=

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I got a portable ps1, snes, nes, gba and other emulators in one with this. Then there is homebrew.
biggrin.gif

Games could be better but eh I haven't played a lot of them.

Reactions: 1 person

rikuumi

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I think PSP is quite decent console if you compare it graphics to NDS but games are just the thing that sucks on PSP and lack of another joystick or whteever its called

D

Deleted User

Emulation expands the PSP's library tenfold. If you bought a PSP for gaming then it's likely that you've had previous systems that had earlier games that you enjoyed. One of the best things about the PSP is the homebrew/emulators that it can run that drastically expands its library.

Also, games that come out towards the end of a consoles/system's life-span tend to take full-advantage of prior experience designing for said system. God of War/PS2? Star Ocean-ChronoTrigger/SNES etc? I wouldn't give up full hope on the PSP yet.

One of the best things about the PSP/Hombrew is that the PSP isn't just a game-platform anymore, it's a total media powerhouse, in that respect I think it's the most successful handhold thus far.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well the PSP has not had much success at all the only reason most people have them is for piracy/homebrew most of the games for PSP aren't worth buying and the few games that are worth buying are only enjoyable the first time you play them...

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
syko5150 said:
well the PSP has not had much success at all the only reason most people have them is for piracy/homebrew most of the games for PSP aren't worth buying and the few games that are worth buying are only enjoyable the first time you play them...

Well, the PSP is fail on the RETAIL front. Everyone wants to blame it on piracy that the PSP has shit games, but the DS has just as much if not more piracy issues, and it keeps getting game after awesome game.

On the other hand, if you use the PSP as a portable emulation device, it severely outclasses even the Dingoo.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
syko5150 said:

Well, the PSP is fail on the RETAIL front. Everyone wants to blame it on piracy that the PSP has shit games, but the DS has just as much if not more piracy issues, and it keeps getting game after awesome game.

On the other hand, if you use the PSP as a portable emulation device, it severely outclasses even the Dingoo.
but if you were looking at it from a non piracy point of view the DS is still far ahead with the amount of fun games that can be played over and over where as PSP fails at offering that...now if you want to go with emulation yes the PSP is best for that but what about for someone who is against piracy?there are many better options as far as portable media devices and i honestly don't get how or why anyone would want to watch a movie on such a small screen...

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call the PSP a fail. That might be too much.

But it is a overall disappointment. You can't help compare it to DS.

Components more fragile, long load times, short battery life, doesn't fit a pocket as well as it should, No online play, a less compelling library that competition, games themselves not really portable, ect...

I remember in school I had a DS fat ass and the PSP was the "cool" system because it just came out. And then everyone saying how much the PSP is better. It was a surprise how short-lived those days of public PSP favoring actually were.

I'm glad I loyally stuck with the DS brand as I don't know what I'd do without I Love Horses DS.

Reactions: 1 person

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
syko5150 said:
dudeonline said:
syko5150 said:

but if you were looking at it from a non piracy point of view the DS is still far ahead with the amount of fun games that can be played over and over where as PSP fails at offering that...now if you want to go with emulation yes the PSP is best for that but what about for someone who is against piracy?there are many better options as far as portable media devices and i honestly don't get how or why anyone would want to watch a movie on such a small screen...

Well, if you were going completely non-modded, using UMDs, and PSN store and whatnot, then yeah, its pretty damn fail.

There are CLOSE TO no good games for the PSP, and no, i'm not trolling.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
No online play
wut?
there is indeed online play for a lot of games, socom, and mgs to name some of the main ones

though of course it was plagued with the same problems as ds online play
cheaters were everywhere

thiefraccoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP means PSP without custom firmware, modding, homebrew, etc..

I only bought mine because of how easy it was to mod. (1.5 ofw times)
I remember putting DevHook on it, and being surprised how easy it was.
(wasn't a custom firmware, but you run DevHook, which is a homebrew, then load game. easy as pie.)

capability to surf the web is nice, and PSN store for PSP has gotten much better after "minis".
PSP does have online play (even great online play) for popular titles.
MoH had awesome online play, until too many CFW users used cheats.

...but when it comes down to it, i would've never bought it, not for its "hackability".

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
syko5150 said:
dudeonline said:
syko5150 said:

Well, if you were going completely non-modded, using UMDs, and PSN store and whatnot, then yeah, its pretty damn fail.

There are CLOSE TO no good games for the PSP, and no, i'm not trolling.
i had high hopes for PSP when it first came out but have overall been disappointed...i almost lost complete faith in Sony when the PS3 started out with practically no good games but i'm pretty happy with them now =p

chriso

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.thepsphq.com
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I honestly don't think so. The system is 5 years old and still keeps up with modern day electronic devices. I bought on on launch without the intent to hack it as I didn't know it could run unsigned code on 1.00 fw. I found how versatile it was when I first ran an snes via gta exploit. Later on it was found that it could do most other consoles including the N64 and PSX. To this day, I still find it a great system with plenty of potential, despite how old it is electronic-wise.

If you want to call it a failure because of it's software sales being shot down due to piracy, that's fine. Calling its homebrew abilities a failure isn't a valid statement.

Just my opinion, though.

pcmanrules

Trophies
Website
pcmanrules.geek.nz
XP
Country
New Zealand
I love it still. You can't blame piracy because look at us, the ds has plenty of it as well. If used correctly we could have brilliant games on the hardware. I especially love being able to play FF VII in transit every day. Not a failure in my book.

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yes, not many really good games maybe 5, not much variety in games, hardly any games, i have both a DS and PSP both pirated and DS shits all over PSP besides Crisis Core and God of War

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr