Do Voltmeters check battery life of D-Size (Torch) batts?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by xDahlia, Aug 25, 2008.

1. xDahlia
    OP

Newcomer xDahlia Advanced Member

Australia
    Doing this for a school experiment thingy..

2. .::5pYd3r::.

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
    No. I don't think so.

3. xDahlia
    OP

Australia
    =\ Sure?..

EDIT: Waiting for more replies, can't trust 5pyd3r for all I know.. [​IMG]

4. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Short: nope, they don't.

Long: If you know how the battery discharges (in German we say "Entladekurve", IIRC... look for something like a "discharge diagramm") you can make an educated guess on how much capacity is left in the Battery if you know its charge, measured by a Voltmeter. This works better for NiCd Akkus, not so good for NiMH types and even less for Lithium-Ion batteries (all IIRC, of course). If you dig a little deeper you might find out that most battery charge displays in electronic devices work like that, they're inaccurate at best and useless in the worst case.

5. xDahlia
    OP

Australia
    Meh. Okay, one more question though. Is there any other way to test the life of the D-Size batteries? >_> Or do I have to wait around for it's life to die. >

6. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

What exactly do you want to do with it? If it's for a school project I assume you must have gotten *some* instructions on what to do, don't you?

If all you want to find out is if there is *some* charge left in the device you can of course use a Voltmeter - this doesn't tell you anything about quantity, though. D-Size batteries should be somewhere in the region of 1-1.2 V for rechargeable batteries and somewhere around 1.2-1.5 V for single use batteries (alkaline/zinc carbon). If it's much lower than that you can assume that the battery is dead.

7. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Yeah you can ... you can check virtually any kinda battery within reason so long as your meter can handle it [​IMG]