chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for bringing up this issue again, but I have to write an essay for english and this is probably one of the best places to ask.

Personally, I do NOT think games cause violence. If someone does and blames it on Call of Duty or something, then that person has a mental issue to believe that the elements of a GAME can be applied to real life.

Pleas vote in the poll and give your reasons. Thanks, Tempers!

EDIT:

I was told of this very informative video. WARNING: The host swears A LOT.

http://www.wisevid.com/view_video.php?view...zbugecqgg26262#

EDIT #2:

My Intro to Mass Communications teacher gave me this link:

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&pid=g...ALMBkhenlMlKthQ

It's a google docs PDF full of statistics on gamers. Some of which I found very interesting:

1. %40 of gamers are female - That's a LOT higher than I thought!

2. The average age of a gamer is 39 - Also a LOT higher!

3. The best-selling genre in 2008 was "Family Entertainment" (19.3%), while "Shooters" only got 10.9%

4. The type of online game played most often: PUZZLE, at 44% blink.gif (RPGs only have 21%, and that's COMBINED with action, sports, and strategy!)

All in all, VERY interesting...

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont think it causes violence. If anything, it should decrease it. Instead of beating up people or shooting people in real life, they can do that in video games. Only dumbasses do something stupid.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A violent environment will contribute to violent behavior not video games or any other form of media containing violence. I think playing violent games makes you less violent, it's seeing for example a child's father beating up the mother while they watch in real time that leads to violent behavior.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
Yes they do.

I've murdered twenty two people whilst wounding sixteen other and a crocodile.

Only got community service though.

PLEASE say that's sarcasm... I put the address for this post in my essay as a reference to prove gamers AREN'T murderous psychopaths...

I was hoping to get responses I could use in my essay without making the gaming community (and, in turn, GBATemp) look bad...

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
After playing GTA I proceeded to pick up a prostitute. I then drove into a fairly deserted part of town before having sex with her, I then murdered her in order to get my money back.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
After playing GTA I proceeded to pick up a prostitute. I then drove into a fairly deserted part of town before having sex with her, I then murdered her in order to get my money back.

Did you not read the comment above you
dry.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Video games DON'T cause violence. They're just a scapegoat for incompetent parents. When a kid goes and kills another kid, they don't want to say it's the parents' faults or the community's fault, they want to pawn it onto something that doesn't exactly have a whole lot of say.

Really, do you ever get the need to drive around stealing cars, picking up hookers, and knocking off gangbangers because you played GTA once? No.

This was a whole issue with Columbine. Some people said that Doom was the cause for their rage and anger, since it was referenced to a few times in their journals, but in reality the kids were fucking loonies. Anyone who rights about Nazis and survival of the fittest and then plucks off innocent kids doesn't do that because they blew up a few space goblins, they do it because they're out of their mind. In fact, the two shooters in Columbine weren't even "the fittest", the only advantage they had was artificial (guns), not natural (physical superiority).

If you want a good essay on this, reference the Columbine shootings and a case involving Manhunt (it's on Manhunt's Wikipedia article). Just my advice.

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Video games are as much likely to cause violence as any other form of media. When you see crap like 'kid is buried alive; believed he was a superhero' then that problem is on the parents' end.

luigiman1928

Most original Custom Title
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ONLY WAR AND KILLING GAMES DO. My brother was Semi-Half-Nice then he played the Warhawk Demo, and got really angry, makes fun of me cuse he's bored, I Make fun of him, And he has this HUGE psycho melt-down like i threw his Ps3 out the window!

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Id say they cause people to wish they could just pull out their 9 and pop a cap in the 5-0s ass. However the people that are not stable do manage to have their wishes come true, everyone else can hold off the temptation of being able to get a new gun and a billie club after that officer lands on the ground.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Latching on to what Guild said, people have always used some form of media as a scapegoat. Heck, people used to be concerned that violent books would cause all the ills now ascribed to video games.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
mysticwaterfall said:
Latching on to what Guild said, people have always used some form of media as a scapegoat. Heck, people used to be concerned that violent books would cause all the ills now ascribed to video games.
And who can forget the 'Video Nasty' of the eighties?

D

Deleted_171835

When an idiot parents child commits some murdering act parent like to blame it on videogames. It's easy for them to blame it on a game and ignore their bad parenting. Video games do not cause violence but rather it causes people to blame it. Just like videos and books in the past. Most people immediately assume that just because a videogame has violence in it, it causes you to become a serial killer. In my opinion I think videogames help prevent violence then create violence. Videogames help relieve stress as numerous studies have said and stress can lead to chaos. These people expect us all to go home and play Imagine: NonViolent Videogames on our Nintendo DS. The fact that they are so reliant to blame numerous other things is shocking. Their stupidity is blinding them from the truth.
mad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.