Do the SX modchip clones still have DOA issues?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely. Every product ever sold has had DOA issues…even those from well known brands are not exempt. Well known brands are able to spend more on quality control to help reduce costly returns. Lesser known companies with less to spend on QA will logically suffer a higher rate of DOAs. Now, combine that with an inability to enforce returns and you have yourself a ripe environment for people to not give a shit about quality. I’m not dragging any particular vendor or site. It‘s just how life works.

Reactions: peteruk and impeeza

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I buy one, what's the chance that it won't work? Is there any way to test whether it works before I pay someone to install it?
There are a lot of variables that play into any number someone might throw out. Sellers want to develop a good name for themselves but the market for mod chips is unregulated and there’s no governing body looking out for the consumer and counting complaints. By the time you have it in your hands the seller is potentially unreachable. That said, many people are very satisfied with their purchases.
At the end of the day, you have to decide if you want it bad enough. If you take the plunge you have to put your big boy pants on and accept the risk.

Now, on the topic of finding a good installer…

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say try and error. You have to solder in the chip to test it's functionality. There is no other way to check that afaik.
Maybe cut a small piece off the corner with a knife and rub a little bit of it on your teeth. If it makes your gums numb it‘s probably good. I saw that on TV…it might work.

Last edited by binkinator,

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any experience with these chips so I cant really say for certain, but I would imagine anywhere between 15 to 35% DOA rate after you take into account international shipping, and the fact that it's not likely going to be treated very well during transit.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any experience with these chips so I cant really say for certain
So what did you base your numbers on and why did you feel the need to post them?

@OP, Switch Modchips are firmly in the grey area of the market. There are no guarantees. As noted, you risk ~$100 + install to play. Most storefronts have some kind of process for DOA things but it certainly won't be as easy as an order from Walmart or Amazon. If you're wanting to reduce the risk, there are some places where you can get brand new pre-modded consoles but they carry a heafty price as they are including the cost of the console, chip, and install.

• Haha
Reactions: Elodain

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what did you base your numbers on and why did you feel the need to post them?
What's got you so angry? Is there a rule somewhere that prohibits me from taking a stab in the dark for the sake of conversation?

I base my guess on the idea that a no name gray market operation, likely run in China, that manufactures devices (which are reverse engineered KNOCKOFFS of a discontinued product, at that) intended to circumvent the security of a game console for the primary purpose of piracy probably manufactures said devices as cheaply as possible, doesn't have the best QA to make sure they aren't sending out defective chips, if they have any QA at all that is, and probably are shipping them as cheaply as possible to, in packaging that isn't exactly conducive to keeping the item safe during international transit, you know, since good packaging that will help keep it safe costs more money...

It's about being cautious about the possibility of getting a DOA chip while still trying to be optimistic that even a fly by night Chinese piracy chip operation would like to get as many functioning chips into customers hands as they can with what little budget they have to work within.

Why did I feel the need to post them? Just because! Why did you feel the need to even quote and engage with me instead of just ignoring me? Because you can! Just as you can so can I!

I think the bigger question here is why are you directing unwarranted anger at me? I'm pretty sure I didn't piss in your Wheaties this morning! I don't think we've even interacted on this forum before, or anywhere on the internet for that matter...why make me a punching bag?

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's got you so angry? Is there a rule somewhere that prohibits me from taking a stab in the dark for the sake of conversation?

I base my guess on the idea that a no name gray market operation, likely run in China, that manufactures devices intended to circumvent the security of a game console for the primary purpose of piracy probably manufactures said devices as cheaply as possible, doesn't have the best QA to make sure they aren't sending out defective chips, if they have any QA at all that is, and probably are shipping them as cheaply as possible to, in packaging that isn't exactly conducive to keeping the item safe during international transit, you know, since good packaging that will help keep it safe costs more money...

It's about being cautious about the possibility of getting a DOA chip while still trying to be optimistic that even a fly by night Chinese piracy chip operation would like to get as many functioning chips into customers hands as they can with what little budget they have to work within.

Why did I feel the need to post them? Just because! Why did you feel the need to even quote and engage with me instead of just ignoring me? Because you can! Just as you can so can I!

I think the bigger question here is why are you directing unwarranted anger at me? I'm pretty sure I didn't piss in your Wheaties this morning! I don't think we've even interacted on this forum before, or anywhere on the internet for that matter...why make me a punching bag?
I think you mistake inquiry for anger. You first stated that you had no experience with the chips and then proceeded to make a statement about their DOA rate citing shipping as your primary concern. This made me curious. I had also considered that your post could be sarcasm which doesn't come across well in text.

Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse