1. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

Sometimes when someone isn't paying attention they might accidentally enter their credentials for another site when logging in here. Their email on this site might be [email protected] but they might accidentally enter the email [email protected] then when they receive a login error they try again with their GBAtemp login credentials. This means that the user's email address containing his real name remains in the site's log files forever.

I don't know who has access to the all-knowing log files but I hope it's a limited number of the staff. I'm paranoid enough to use Protonmail and Tor but if I lose focus I might accidentally dox myself.

2. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I doubt those logs are even stored anywhere. Even if they are, nobody cares enough about you to use that maliciously, especially staff.

Scott_pilgrim and Lostbhoy like this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    We have over 400,000 members registered to this site, nobody in their right mind is going to go and read every single email address for every user and single some out. That's peak paranoia there, you should probably talk to someone about that. Might as well just never go outside on the off chance some random guy will spot your name on your drivers license.

As to who has access, only staff with access to the admin panel can see your email address (AFAIK), which includes Supervisors and Admins. As these positions are very high up on the staff chain and require years of "service" to the site, anyone there who would have access wouldn't use your information for any kind of malicious purpose in the first place, nor would they go looking for it anyways unless someone needed help with it.

4. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

What about senior editors? I thought they have the same powers as supervisors.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Yes, but they're generally asked not to use the admin panel at all because that's not their purpose on the site. They may occasionally help someone who needs it when other admins aren't online, but otherwise the same applies to them that applies to anyone else with access to the admin panel, they're very trustworthy users who wouldn't go about fucking around with someone's information.

6. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy HEY YOU GUYS!

United Kingdom
    What the fuck is an admin going to do with your name anyway? I've got your bank details.... Worry about that! :rofl2: kidding ofcourse... Just incase your mad paranoia goes through the roof!

DarkFlare69 and Chary like this.
  7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    They know mine, I doubt they know most other people's.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  8. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    When they become famous all of their sins on this site will come back to haunt them mark my words.

Boosh and Lostbhoy like this.
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    From my time in the online identity thread then
    a) quite a few people use their username as their email address (try @ gmail @ hotmail @ yahoo @ various ISPs and all the various others that those made over the years and you will probably find it)
    b) email is nice to have but usually far from essential in finding out someone's name. They will tend to leak it in other ways (attribution on google drive or something, documents linked up to help with homework, their websites listing whois data, linking their facebook accounts, their twitter accounts, their linkedin accounts...)

10. godreborn
    This message by godreborn has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Oct 1, 2020, Reason: Deleted upon request.
    Oct 1, 2020
  11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps
    Senior Editor

United States
    As for accidental logins, I have absolutely no idea where that'd be, or if that's even stored. That's hardcore underground bunker tier fear lol.

If you do have your actual name saved to your account or something, like in your registered email that you normally use for the site's login, then yeah, it's somewhere, but who in their right mind is going to sift through the admin panel to find it?

Honestly, your real name won't get anyone far, unless your parents were super unique lol.

GABO1423, XAIXER, Lostbhoy and 3 others like this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    If you used that in the first place then chances are you probably already give some indication of your location (and if not your chosen word choice, times when you are online -- I know we are all supposed to be up all night and sleep all day but really it is still going to have most downtime at night), your age and a few other things that can rather narrow things down to feed into the really fun stuff.

battlecatsahead likes this.
  13. JuanMena

JuanMena Politically Incorrect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mexico
    I'm using my real name.
    Am I winning?

14. ForgotWhoIam

ForgotWhoIam GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yes when I signed up they made me show my drivers license, social security card, and even made me take a urine sample.

15. TomRannd

TomRannd GBAtemp's clown.

Canada
    probably maybe

damn you got lucky. i had to have a prostate exam...

VinsCool likes this.
  16. MohammedQ8

MohammedQ8 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    Yes and they know where you live too. Lock your doors.

Seriel likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Not going to do any good. We have pictures of the keys (shouldn't leave them in front of the webcam) and thus can make a version of it.

AnimeIsDead likes this.
  18. ForgotWhoIam
    This message by ForgotWhoIam has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Oct 1, 2020, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Oct 1, 2020
  19. Scott_pilgrim
    This message by Scott_pilgrim has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Oct 1, 2020, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Oct 1, 2020
  20. ForgotWhoIam
    This message by ForgotWhoIam has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Oct 1, 2020, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Oct 1, 2020
  21. Scott_pilgrim
    This message by Scott_pilgrim has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Oct 1, 2020, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Oct 1, 2020
  22. SG854
    This message by SG854 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Oct 1, 2020, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Oct 1, 2020
  23. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO

Mexico
    Let the doxxing begin!

24. ForgotWhoIam
    Oct 1, 2020
  25. SG854
    This message by SG854 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Oct 1, 2020, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Oct 1, 2020
  26. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

So if it's so hard to find out members' real names then how do you do it when you need to contact a parent over a misbehaving child?

27. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Succubus™ Moody Cubi

Antarctica
    I am not sure if the staff could get our legal names without telling them, but I am not part of the staff. I do know most of the staff actually know my legal name since they have me on Facebook

Seriel likes this.
  28. ForgotWhoIam
    This message by ForgotWhoIam has been removed from public view by x65943, Oct 2, 2020, Reason: not eof.
    Oct 2, 2020
  29. Seriel

Seriel Doing her best

United Kingdom
    Considering later on in that quoted post refers to Facebook, if they've linked their Facebook account then I suppose that's a fairly easy way to contact their parents. You can also sometimes put an email into Facebook search and get hits, if the user hasn't disabled that feature.

Failing that, IP addresses are usually a good start. Under normal (no VPN, as expected from a random 12 year old) circumstances that can get it down to a location and ISP, at which point you could theoretically contact the ISP and politely tell them someone at that IP is being a nuisance on your web space.

But really, lets be honest here. What are you going to do that would cause any member of the websites staff to go to even these mild lengths, nevermind looking in server log files that may or may not exist.
    And if they do exist and you do commit a crime worthy of checking, it's highly unlikely the information contained within will tie to your session in any meaningful way. It's not like they can just spy on every single tiny action in order, logs are only of specific actions and presented in the specific way to suit their purpose (Usually shutting down spambots)

Last edited by Seriel, Oct 2, 2020
    Deleted User and Lostbhoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - staff, users, names