PS1/2 Do PlayStation 2s need thermal paste?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 15,319
  • Replies 5

Short question: Do PS2s need thermal paste at any point of time..!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted User

OP
I found a broken ps2 at goodwill, it's a fat SCPH-50001 but, it locks up upon boot up and crashes at the "dash board".
I did inspect everything in using the motherboard and they were barely greasy.
I put it back together, and turned it on, nothing.
Turned it off, Applied some pressure on those heat sinks, turned it back on, it worked perfectly.
The moment I took my hand off of it, it locked up. Turned it on with no pressure and nothing.
Tried again with pressure, and it worked.
Should I apply more thermal paste? Or does the system even use it?
I can replace it all myself. But I'm still somewhat a noob. :3

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess you just answered yourself within your question ^^V

Not 100% sure about the PS2 and its weird that it goes off THAT FAST but you know with Computers its the same, when the cooler is not properly connected it shits down when the CPU gets to hot (some years ago they just started melting XD)

and the thermal paste is there to help the cooler do its job and cool the CPU so when the connection is not proper the CPU might still get really hot and you can be lucky that the PS2 already has the security mechanism to shut off.

D

Deleted User

OP
I guess you just answered yourself within your question ^^V

Not 100% sure about the PS2 and its weird that it goes off THAT FAST but you know with Computers its the same, when the cooler is not properly connected it shits down when the CPU gets to hot (some years ago they just started melting XD)

and the thermal paste is there to help the cooler do its job and cool the CPU so when the connection is not proper the CPU might still get really hot and you can be lucky that the PS2 already has the security mechanism to shut off.
Alrighty! Thank you!
I've been researching the issue for almost a month with no results untill I found the source of the problem.
I won't use it untill I repair it.
Sony wanted to charge me $50 US to repair it.
Thanks. :)

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well. Is a luck shot. If it works maybe can stop by heating when you run the games. Otherside if is some problem with the processor maybe mess with it again can make it stop. In that situation I choose to apply more thermal with caution taking the chances. But is your decision. Caution with the static and best of luck.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not totally sure about it but i thought the gap was a bit 2 big to just use thermal paste. If i remember correctly the PS2 uses Thermal pads instead.

Edit: after using google for a minute i found out ps2's do use thermal pads instead of thermal paste because the gap is 2 big for thermal paste alone . You can buy those cheaply from a store or ebay ...

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended