Do 'Official Releases' Have to be dumped by the 'teams&#39

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by manobon, Dec 16, 2008.

1. manobon
    OP

Member manobon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    After reading over the 'don't ask for dumps!' thread, I Did do a google search and found a page with 'wifi rom image dumping' instructions...

I don't know if there's an easier way or not for rom image dumping (even though it seems rather simple according to that page), but! If a noob-ish user such as myself made a rom-image through such a process, how would it become an 'official release', and whatnot? (Do I 'release' it to one of the teams? Just make a torrent and see what happens? What?)

I'm just asking what the process is for a release to be considered official (and, depending on that answer, why are more people not making such releases)? Not for...'instructions', you know?

2. ZonMachi

Member ZonMachi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I believe team releases are official because they make sure they properly dump more than simply checking if it works? I do not know for sure;

3. FaRReR

Member FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I don't believe we're supposed to discuss roms on this forum...
    but I don't care [​IMG]
    To answer you, I don't really know... but you can always try contacting the 'teams' and ask them yourself >_>

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It seems to vary with temperature but compared to the likes of video, PC software and so forth it is nowhere near as strict.
    Back in the GBA era more than a few titles bypassed the traditional topserver and trickle down approach (some in favour of straight to rapidshare if you can believe it).

Best you could hope for is someone will pick it up and repackage it as an independent release.

Site seems to be down right now but I am sure an archival site might have something: http://www.aboutthescene.com/thescene/index.html

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    use waybackmachine with the link above to see the last cached archive pages in OCTOBER 2007!

and FYI it does not have anything about DS releases!

6. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    I dump my games myself, using a slot2 card and some tools found on the net, much faster than the wifi method.

7. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    We're allowed to hack them, why not discuss them too?

8. RLXD

Newcomer RLXD Member

Germany
    You can't get your dump to be a legit scene release that easy. First you need some contacts within the scene itself, such as knowing a member or maybe a groupleader. Then you need a good site, which accepts your release as an iND (indipendet / not from a specific group) release. But for that you will have to dump it sceneconform with *. sfv, *.nfo and all needed informations. Without them it won't get accepted in any way. If everything is ok it'll maybe, but only maybe, listed on releaseDBs on the net/irc. But don't forget to pack it sceneconform [​IMG]

Don't try it with a *.torrent. You will have no luck. P2P releases get ignored by all good releaseDBs.

9. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    Do those sites tell you if a game is being uploaded to them or not? I could see like a few hundred people trying to dump the game at the same time.

10. RLXD

Newcomer RLXD Member

Germany
    Those sites are often linked to releaseDBs so that once a release got pred it will be shown on a releaseDB. You just need to check if the game dump you want to pre is already existing anywhere else. No site will ever have a full list of everything ever released. Most public releaseDBs share their DB-data so that they stay up-to-date - it's a very diffuse network. BTW is the exact time of the first pre the crucial factor. Do two ppl/groups pre their dump of a game in a time difference of, for example, 2 minutes, the only legit scenerelease will be the first pre. So even if the other dump is working, too, it will get a nuke because it's just a dupe of an already existing and working dump. The only real exception are iNTERNAL pres which are for group internal use, what doesn't mean that they will not show up on the net, too. Those won't get a nuke beside they are not scene conform/not working.

Hope that answered what you wanted to know.