Do not use safesysupdater to downgrade

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Juugetsu, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Juugetsu
    OP

Juugetsu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    I can't empathize this enough. Only use it to check your update files. It might have a higher rate of success than sysupdater but when it fails you risk getting frankenfirmware/partial downgrade meaning you can no longer access the internet browser or system settings. This can only be fixed by updating from a cartridge if your 3DS can still play games or using the built in system recovery updating you to the latest firmware and losing all access to softmodding

Julian's sysupdater may take a lot of tries, it either won't boot or it will give you a CIA error but from my experience the chance of doing actual damage is really low.

2. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    The safesysupdater and the other options all do the same task. They install .cia titles to the system NAND and if EITHER fail you will have the same effect as with the other. The fact of the matter is if you are going to try a system downgrade you should first at least know how to hard mod the device so you won't have any issue...

'Don likes this.
  3. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Safesysupdater saved me from frankenfirmware. It's the normal sysupdater (including Julian20's builds) that worries me the most.

4. Jarmenti

Jarmenti Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2016
    Canada
    I got stuck on frankenfirmware, and simply booted cubic ninja(sky3ds), back to the hbm, loaded safesysupdater again, and ran the downgrade again, and it went just fine!... Your console will still boot game cart's on frankenware!

'Don likes this.
  5. 'Don

'Don Man in a Box

Dec 31, 2015
    Jamaica
    Hemshof
    N3DS 1: Tried to downgrade with safesysupdater from 9.9 to 9.2, got error message and frankenfirm, bootet oothax, ran downgrade again, frankenfirm fixed.

N3DS 2: Exactly the Same but this time with julians Version.

Both versions have the same success rate and you can easily recover from frankenfirm.

6. Juugetsu
    OP

Juugetsu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Not exactly, you need another 3DS that has already been downgraded and access to OOT/Cubic Ninja if you cant play games anymore, wouldnt call that easy.

Also I read partial downgrade/frankenfirm is impossible if you downgrade from 10.3 is that true?

7. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Official Axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    i downgraded successful with safesysupdater in my first try :/