Hacking Do not use alcohol to clean DS screens!

epicelite

Equal opportunity ass kicker.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was just messing around with the screen I had from a DS fat that had a few stuck pixels on it.

I was trying different things like poking at the pixels and such, didn't work BTW, and then I was cleaning the screen and all I had was some isopropyl alcohol so I put some on a cloth and wiped.

I guess some got under the screen because it started to look REALLY strange, like the screen was cracked but the picture was fine but kind of see-through.
blink.gif

So I figured I must have cracked the screen and took it apart to get at the backlight and turns out some of the isopropyl alcohol had gotten behind the LCD and damaged the plastic used in the backlight.
blink.gif
I tested it again by taking the plastic and just dripping some isopropyl alcohol onto it and sure enough it caused the same effect of making it turn milky white when it dried.
wacko.gif

So yeah, don't use isopropyl alcohol to clean your LCD's.
I only tried it on a DS fat LCD but I am going to assume the lite/i have the same kind of plastic behind the screen.
smileipb2.png

gibberish

Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the info, i wasnt intending on cleaning a ds screen but i will be cleaning some spilt beer from my gf's camera buttons. now i'll be very careful not to go near the lcd screen with it!

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
youre just not lucky. I cleaned my PSP and DS(i) screens with alcohol and I didnt used too much. Just a drop on each wipe/clothe

youre just unlucky you got excess alcohol. just apply the right amount of liquid in to the cloth you will use to wipe.

epicelite

Equal opportunity ass kicker.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah chances are you should be fine if you use a real small amount, I guess I just used too much.
tongue.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It might be in the H&S manual or in the main manuals near where they talk about the screens; not to use benzine or thinners.

I like reading the manuals too
tongue.gif
Obviously not just me then.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dunno what I wiped on my GBASP screen, but there's green splotches inside there.
And it's not mold
dry.gif

Also, for some reason, I was stupid and thought I could scratch off the green stuff with a needle.
I also dropped my GBA a bunch of times.

So now my GBA has scratches everywhere, and green stuff in the screen.
Does anybody think I can still sell it?

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
epicelite said:
So yeah, don't use isopropyl alcohol to clean your LCD's.
QUOTE(Hatsu @ Nov 21 2009, 06:47 AM) It is even worse cleaning it with Windex.
I've never had any problems using either isopropyl alcohol or windex to clean my displays on my DS lites (and I've been modding and repairing systems for close to 3 years now and have probably worked on well over 100 systems). of course, I don't saturate the cloth or apply the fluid directly onto the system (I either lightly dampen or spray the cloth that I'm working with).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it