Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do the new Xbox systems (like if I bought a new one today) still get the ROD? or is it only mostly found in the early ones?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is always a chance, but they have taken many different measures to prevent the RRoD on the newest consoles. If you're thinking of getting a new one, wait, because they are going to release a new motherboard with even better cooling so there will be less of a chance for a RRoD. Find a good Xbox site and check it for updates every once in a while to see if they are out on shelves yet. I suggest www.xbox-scene.com

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or better yet, don't wait, RUN and get a benq one, unless you like paying for games
smile.gif

Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind downloading my games for the 360, but it all depends on what benq IS, whether it's expensive or hard to deal with.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought 360 last Christmas, RROD'd 8 months later.

Essentially the console you would be buying right now would have the same falcon as I do, unless jaspers rolled out already.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DrKupo said:
Or better yet, don't wait, RUN and get a benq one, unless you like paying for games
smile.gif

Lite-ons can have their key and spoof info extracted now , so even if you do get one , you aint screwed. Extract that info , swap to an old drive and away you go.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Osaka said:
I wouldn't mind downloading my games for the 360, but it all depends on what benq IS, whether it's expensive or hard to deal with.

BenQ is a model of dvd drive. If you want to pirate you will need to find out what model your 360 dvd drive is. When you find that out (Theres guides everywhere, use google) then you can download 'textbook.pdf' which will give you steps on flashing your drive. Unless you have a lite-on, then you'll need to search on how to extract the key and spoof info

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
DrKupo said:
smile.gif

Lite-ons can have their key and spoof info extracted now , so even if you do get one , you aint screwed. Extract that info , swap to an old drive and away you go.

I don't think this poster is intelligent enough to pull that off.

Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DrKupo said:
Armadillo said:
DrKupo said:
smile.gif

I don't think this poster is intelligent enough to pull that off.
Screw you =o

Anyways. I'll look into that drive. thanks

rscarrab

Trophies
XP
Country
I used to fear the RROD.
Now i fear for my games, which are getting scratched by the DVD drive (over the course of 3 models; 2 normal, 1 Elite).

I've been through 2 Call of Duty 4 discs. 2 GTA 4 discs (cannot play for longer than roughly 15 mins without disc read error now) and have a copy of Fight Night Round 3 which has 2 cracks originating from the centre, rendering it unplayable.

One of my mates has exactly the same problem with his Fight Night as well. Coincidentally he is also on his 2nd Call of Duty 4 disc, with exactly the same symptoms (The earliest signs appear on single player, if your COD4 disc was degrading and you weren't aware you would eventually notice disc read error's in multiplayer as the DVD is on it's last legs.)

Microsoft better hope that most people install those DVD intensive games onto their Hard Drives or they might not dodge that bullet.
On the support website they should add another bullet point in the section regarding disc read error's:

-There is a very high possibility that your Xbox 360 is solely responsible for scratching your discs.
Since the extended 3 year warranty only extends to Xbox 360's with RROD, you'll have to wait for the "fall dashboard
update" and install your game onto the Hard-Drive.

Microsoft Tip: Go back to the shop where you bought the game and try to return it, stating the Xbox scratched it.
If the shopkeeper throws it back in your face, tell him honestly that you didn't scratch it.
Repeat this process until you get a new disc. Alternatively you could pay more and use our
disc replacement policy which only covers games made in conjunction with microsoft.
Some companies have their own disc replacement program, but you'll be so fed up by that stage that it
won't make a difference.

The irony here, is that i keep excellent care of my DVD's & CD's.

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The only experience I have with an Xbox 360 (AND Original Xbox) disc being scratched is when my friend had the disc in the vertical Xbox 360 and it tipped over because the dog brushed against it.

Perfect circle scratch! (Oblivion, no!)

From normal use, I have yet to get a scratched disc. (Previous Hitachi/Samsung drive (?) and my now BenQ)

rscarrab

Trophies
XP
Country
Prime said:
BenQ's don't scratch my discs.

You should have got a benQ rscarrab

Yeah, i wish it was as easy as a mix & match.
wink2.gif

Some people i know mentioned that having it horizontal may help...
dry.gif

I have always had my 360 vertical, it is impossible with my current set-up not to (plus the vents would be blocked in the horizontal position).

I only notice scratches with games that spin faster than a Ferrari's flywheel; COD4, GTA4 & Fight Night Rnd3.

I myself, have had (from 2nd owned Xbox) a Hitachi, BenQ and now in possesion of a Lite-on.

I'm 90% certain that COD4 was scratched, the first time, by the Hitachi and the second time round, the BenQ (the only way i can see myself being incorrect is through the similarities between the BenQ & the Lite-on).

[And before anyone says anything, no i wont be opening my 360 to find out. Not until it can run unsigned code, cause when that happens all my emulators & rom sets (almost 200gb worth) shall be migrating from my old xbox onto my 360.]

Also my personal opinion is that the DVD's (& drives) themselves just can't handle the strain; with the DVD's being heated up to such a temperature and spinning non-stop for lengthy gaming sessions.

** to add a footnote to that last statement; the blame should be spread across 3 entities: the developer of said game (for not using a better method of streamlining the data needed for in-game objects), Microsoft (for not investing more time &/or money in a better DVD solution) & the DVD Drive manufacturers (who should agree with Microsoft and extend their drive warranty to 3 years for Xbox360's).

I can't remember any console spinning DVD's as fast as the 360 and sustaining a high speed for such a long period of time. I mean, if my laptop spun a CD/DVD at that speed for that long, i'd probably wonder what the fuck is going on.

The next step for anyone with any common sense in that situation is to create an ISO and use that instead...

Which is why i find it quite a coincidence that Microsoft added such a feature; HDD Installs (though i know it creates other benefits too).

None of my other games have this problem, they are all in perfect knick; Bioshock, Oblivion, Dead Rising, Halo 3...

We all know games are demanding more;
ie. larger draw distances with bigger textures (on both characters & maps).

I believe only a hand-full of games have shown a real strain (DVD based) on the 360.
With such a HUGE dilemma almost costing Microsoft their position on the console podium (RROD), i think the early reports from their Repair Centres were indicating heavy wear & tear on the DVD drives.

They caught onto this early & decided to formulate a method at which you can play the games off the hard-drive.

Add that to the Dashboard change which is to compete with Nintendo and you have yourself a pretty neat package that may very well resolve my only remaining issue with Microsoft.

I read an article a few months back regarding the hastyness of Microsoft in beating Sony to market.
Only a few days ago i noticed on a gaming news site that someone had recently been fired by microsoft for contributing to this article;

Xbox 360 defects: an inside history of Microsoft’s video game console woes

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

I'd say a lot of you have already read this, but for those of you that haven't its worth the read.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.