Hacking Do new DS Lites have yellowish tints?

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Just wondering, since I will be buying a DS Lite in a week or two, and I want to know.

1) Do most new DS Lites have yellowish tints? Does it depend on color?

2) Do cracked hinges happen a lot on new DS Lite units?

3) Do dead pixels happen a lot on new DS Lite units?

4) Does black DS Lite smudge really badly? If so, what color would you recommend?

Thanks
smile.gif

ben_r_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering, since I will be buying a DS Lite in a week or two, and I want to know.

4) Does black DS Lite smudge really badly? If so, what color would you recommend?

Thanks
smile.gif
1) Dont know what youre talking about...
2) I have owned two DS Lites and never had a cracked hinge. Cracked hinges come from little kids playing with the DS like its a Gi Joe and not a delicate electronic device.
3) Never seen a DS with a dead pixel.
4) Of course! EVERYTHING shiny black smudges. That being said though, its still the best look on electronics. Just wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth every couple days or so. Its not that bad.

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Yes to all. Cracked hinges are usually from the owner opening their DS too aggressively.
You're discouraging me from buying a DS :'(
So you mean any new DS Lite I buy will have a yellowish tint? or a dead pixel? or a cracked hinge? :/

Thanks for the answers, guys! I still hope some others can answer too!
smile.gif

Magnifico

Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
as someone who has gone through 4 new ds lites in the past couple months... 3 pink, one black...

yes, they ALL had yellowish tints. either on the top or bottom screen with varying degrees.

VERY common, very annoying problem because its just *barely* bad enough to piss you off.

Kamgusta

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy

Thanks
smile.gif
1) Yellowish tints are on the touch screen and they are due to the added layer for touch screen abilities. I have yet to see NDS without it. Level 4 of brightness almost cure it and in game it is not really noticeable.
2) No.
3) Yes.
4) Silver and Red seem to use different, lower quality, screens. It's your choice BTW. Go pink.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
even if you sandpaper black, you'll still see grease from your fingers on the system.. I have a dull black dell and it happens.

hmm hopefully the cracked hinge thing won't happen, i"m waiting for them to restock locally..trying to order on the net isn't getting me anywhere, everyone wants like $30 more than it should cost and at $130 it is already overpriced.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
About the hinge crack.. it was supposedly fixed but it still happens in new DS lites.
And although most cracked hinges come from kids opening them too agressively, I know quite a few people personally who've had the hingecrack and they're very careful with their electronics.
To reduce the possibility of a hinge crack, just play the lite fully folded out.

About dead pixels, they're not too common and they don't bother you that much anyway. I have a ds with a dead pixel (the ones at launch) and its yet to bother me after having it for so long.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Play it at the normal unfolded position, and dont over-unfold it. Also my first DS Lite didn't have a yellow screen. DS Lite systems beginning with UG4 dont have yellowish screens AFAIK.

Also a stuck pixel is worse than a yellow screen IMO, because the yellow screen is completely unnoticeable unless youre on a pure white screen.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) Yellowish tints are on the touch screen and they are due to the added layer for touch screen abilities. I have yet to see NDS without it. Level 4 of brightness almost cure it and in game it is not really noticeable.

Thats exactly what Nintendo says at their site in the service/support section. I have two black DS Lites. One has a yellow tinted lower screen, the other does not. But its not a big deal. You really don't notice unless you're on a white screen (health & warning screen).

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
my ds lite black's screen has a weird touch screen, like, fuzzyish, like if it is greasy. Bugs me a lot.

my crimson ds does too, but i didn't turn it on before applying the screen protector so i'm not sure if it's just the protector. but it looks like what old LCDs used to look like when they first came out, sorta sparkly.

c2ironfist

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my DS Lite works perfectly!

I've had it for some time now dropped it a number of times lol and still scratch free
biggrin.gif

If you take care of it, it should last for a while

I've had 6 DS lites before and never had any dead pixels or yellow tinted screens.

The only gripe I had was the directional pad not responding to diagonal inputs. I switched it up and got one that worked great.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
I had a stuck pixel on my DS Lite. I tried using one of the GBA homebrew that cycle all the pixels and it didn't seem to work, but after a while it fixed itself.

ramzeva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a new DS Lite Crimson, the screens are perfect, the touch screen has a very slight yellow tint and its only really noticed from an angle, I think its just touch screen protection they added, a light film.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed that white DS lites tend to develop hinge cracks more often than others.
For that reason, I would recommend purchasing a different color. My white DS has a hinge crack, even though I am very careful it.

My DS also has a stuck pixel. It really does not bother me at all, it is very hard to notice. I'm not sure if the the newer lites
have it or not though.

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I guess the tints are something I'd have to live with, and according to you guys it's not really noticeable.
I wasn't going to get white anyway, I will get either Black, Enamel Navy, Silver. Maybe Crimson, but I don't think it looks good :/
I'm probably going to either order it from Play-Asia, Renchi, or YesAsia. Any experience with any of them?

Magnifico

Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
the tints can vary in how bad it is.

touch=-screen being yellow only is BS. between me and my gf we've had 6 DS lites and only 2 of them have had yellowish touch screens. 2 of them have had yellowish top screens.

but the yellowish tint varies in degree. in my current ds lite its on the top screen and its not very noticeable at all. my gf has had one on the top sceren and one on the bottom screen that makes the games look just plain ugly unless youre at the perfect angle. you just have to get lucky!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte