Do my parents have legal standing in my situation?

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so I'm 18 years old, and I got a 3ds last summer from my older brother who has long since left the house. My mother thinks it is OK to take it whenever she feels like. At first, I didn't care, I just figured parents are gonna be parents. But I draw the line when she actually tried to sell it online, then went as far as sold it to a pawn shop (luckily I knew the guy there, so he let it slide). So does she have any legal right to just take it whenever she pleases if she didn't drop a dime on it, and it was gifted to me from my older brother who bought it online?

If it helps, I live in New York state, 18 years old, and I pay 3/4 of the house light bill

KapuDaKoopa

That One Splatoon Dataminer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohjeez I don't know the legal standpoint on that but that's just kinda messed up

I'd imagine someone here probably has your answer though, just not me ;p

Reactions: Chronomaly

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She has no right but unless you press charges there isn't much you can do.
Ah, so she is in the wrong then????
Also j was hoping it wouldn't come to that, because I'd rather keep my relationship with her unsevered, because like it or not, she's still my mother.

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say move out.
There's nothing else you can do.
First I've got to get rid of the joint bank acc :unsure:
She has the right to just lock it I believe, but the minuet I withdraw money from it, she will not hesitate to kick me out. But I'll try and see if my grandpa would help

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just talk to her about it. Since you're an adult you could theoretically move out or press charges but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to tell her not to try to sell your 3DS.
I have. She's tried it twice already. She's just one of those people who feels only HER opinion matters, and everything else is irrelevant.

Her favorite line is
"I don't care, I have final say. My house, or get out"

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First I've got to get rid of the joint bank acc :unsure:
She has the right to just lock it I believe, but the minuet I withdraw money from it, she will not hesitate to kick me out. But I'll try and see if my grandpa would help

I have. She's tried it twice already. She's just one of those people who feels only HER opinion matters, and everything else is irrelevant.

Her favorite line is
"I don't care, I have final say. My house, or get out"

I'd honestly say, try and get an apartment without her knowing (assuming you got a job).
Setup a secret bank account and once you got the key to your home, withdraw all of YOUR money from it, then leave and never look back.

If she yells "get out of me house" just reply "gladly" with a smugface and leave.

You're 18 and perfectly capable to provide and look after for your own.
Nothing much your mum can do against that.

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd honestly say, try and get an apartment without her knowing (assuming you got a job).
Setup a secret bank account and once you got the key to your home, withdraw all of YOUR money from it, then leave and never look back.

If she yells "get out of me house" just reply "gladly" with a smugface and leave.

You're 18 and perfectly capable to provide and look after for your own.
Nothing much your mum can do against that.
OK then, if I honestly have no other choice....

S

Saiyan Lusitano

It's one thing to play it and then return it to you, the original owner but another is to be selling it without your consent. You better be careful and if possible, move out because she'll probably try to pawn more of your stuff if it has any value that she sees or thinks.

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's one thing to play it and then return it to you, the original owner but another is to be selling it without your consent. You better be careful and if possible, move out because she'll probably try to pawn more of your stuff if it has any value that she sees or thinks.
No bs, I could care less if she just took it to play it. If I didn't want her to, I would've set parental locks. But what pissed me off was the fact that she tried to sell it, without my knowledge or consent. Twice.

But I just asked because it was a gift from my older brother, so she didn't pay for it, and I would think it would count as an explicit "gift". But I had, to ask, just to be sure, because I don't want to call her out on it, to find out she's right.

And I'll be sure to at the very least hide everything of value

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
OK then, if I honestly have no other choice....

Just make sure that you can switch insurances within a day etc.
Have a place where you can move your belongings to (ie, your apartment) the same day.
Have a new bank account which no one except you can touch.

Basically, make sure you've prepared everything.
Don't give her the satisfaction of kicking you out, hoping you beg her not to.

I hope you quickly find your own place mate.
Nobody deserves parents who nick from them.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
We're missing some info here. Did you have some kind of argument with your mother over that 3DS that she tries to get rid off it? Umh, is she into drugs, that she quickly needs money? That situation sounds fucked up. Who in his right mind would just pawn some stuff that doesn't belong to him?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Taking something that is yours without permission is stealing, but had you been younger than 18 it could've been argued that they were only doing what was best for you from a parental perspective no matter how wrong it would still be.

That being said, you are an adult and if you still rely on them for a living I would attempt to bear with it for now and work towards getting independent as soon as possible so you don't have to live with dishonorable thieves.

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're missing some info here. Did you have some kind of argument with your mother over that 3DS that she tries to get rid off it? Umh, is she into drugs, that she quickly needs money? That situation sounds fucked up. Who in his right mind would just pawn some stuff that doesn't belong to him?
She isn't a druggie (AFAIK, and she probably would've taken cash from the bank account first, she has access to it) and we did have an argument, about rent actually, she asked me for extra money for it, but at the time, I told her I just didn't have it, but I can punch in overtime at work, but your still gonna have to wait like a week (because obviously they don't pay me on the spot). She stormed off, mumbling about me putting money and my own benefit before family.
But these 3ds incidents occurred on 3 different days.

Last edited by Chronomaly,

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this episode of GBATemp, an 18 year old boy that lives with mother wants legal advice concerning her attempts at confiscating and selling his vidya games. Stay tuned.
I guess. Lol

In this episode of GBATemp, an 18 year old boy that lives with mother wants legal advice concerning her attempts at confiscating and selling his vidya games. Stay tuned.
But its just I'm wondering if she actually can, with no problems

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I guess. Lol

But its just I'm wondering if she actually can, with no problems
No, legally she can't sell your stuff. Since youre 18 she can't even take it away from you, that's theft. If she does you could file a suit. But honestly you'd be best off just moving out.

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, legally she can't sell your stuff. Since youre 18 she can't even take it away from you, that's theft. If she does you could file a suit. But honestly you'd be best off just moving out.
Might just get a dorm in college for now then :P

Thanks for the advice too @ everyone

Reactions: WeedZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over