do I REALLY need preloader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by vegeta4ss, May 20, 2009.

May 20, 2009

do I REALLY need preloader? by vegeta4ss at 7:33 PM (1,457 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. vegeta4ss
    OP

Member vegeta4ss GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This week is the first one that i've had time to catch up on this scene, and I have some questions because a ton has changed:

I'm on 3.2U with starfall, 002 gamma, softchip r92, GC loader 0.2 and have been quite happy with this configuration for a while but it's time to get my console ready for the next wave of releases so this raises some questions. I tried my best to get as much info as possible before posting this thread.

I plan to run the CIOS36 v8 & v9 updates, but the v10 is buggy from what I read so I should use v9 right now? What does updating from v7 get me?

I want to get this USB loader stuff working. That does not require going to 4.0, correct? Free space on my console worries me...

I'm not sure I want to update to 4.0 yet...unless all new titles will not load. If I go through Wanikoko's 4.0 updater will my softchip, gamma, and GC backup launcher channels still work just like before? 4.0 adds support for SD-HC but what else do I get for doing this?

This brings me to Preloader. Do I need it? How do I uninstall starfall first? Or does that not matter? I'm somewhat confused as to everything preloader does. Some things I have read on here lead me to believe that it replaces or changes the system menus. That's definitely not what I want. But, the protection that it offers is what makes it appealing for me. Can someone experienced with this app chime in to tell me if I am wrong on my conclusions, why it's necessary, etc? It would really help me out. I have seen a lot of people post that they messed up their console by putting on Preloader so it has me worried.

Thanks to anyone that has time to address some of my questions! Hopefully I can create a set of "update method" notes that I can understand/repeat. I seem to use a diff SDcard pack on each console and really want to make some sort of standardized system out of it, otherwise supporting my friends consoles is going to be impossible.

2. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    Preloader has hacks for skipping updates, etc. but isn't as good protection as BootMii. But BootMii doesn't have the hacks Preloader has but has NAND backup and restore. To be safe install BootMii first as Boot2 if you can otherwise install as IOS and install HBC from the HackMii installer (even if you already have the HBC)

3. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Preloader moves the system menu and takes its place. When the Wii thinks it's loading the system menu, it's actually loading preloader. So when you turn on the Wii, Preloader will load. You can set preloader to continue booting to the real system menu, so you won't even notice it's there (though it will add a few seconds to the start up time).
    If you mess up your system menu (banner brick for example), you can use preloader to directly boot to the HBC and fix the brick. Also, preloader can do some cool stuff like removing the health screen, turning off the annoying background music in the menu, make channels regionfree.
    And instead of the system menu, you can also set preloader to boot directly to a dol. Such as USB Loader. That's my current setup too. I turn on my Wii and the USB loader will start.

5. vegeta4ss
    OP

United States
    thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I will be going with Preloader and then bootmii after I finish my 4.0 update.

one last question: is the 4.0 update or preloader install going to mess up my backup loader channels? Since they are already there I hope they will be unchanged.

6. bdr9

United States
    No, not as long as you dont uninstall them or cIOS.

7. vegeta4ss
    OP

United States
    If I go this route is it the safest for my console?:

1. CIOS v9
    2. wiiSCU
    3. bootMii beta1
    4. Nand backup of 3.2 stuff
    5. 4.0 menu update
    6. install preloader
    7. install usb loader

or should I just directly follow the "Ultimate System Menu 4.0" walkthrough steps and not do the bootmii until AFTER preloader is installed?

I ask because I worry that the updating done by wiiSCU will be overwritten my Wani's 4.0 updater

either way, i'm going to start all this tonight. I just want to go about it in the safest way possible.

8. bdr9

United States
    I don't think you really need to use WiiSCU. Those steps seem pretty good, though. Just make sure you have Preloader on your system before you ever install CIOS60BF or whatever its called. Let us know how it goes.

9. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just remember not all Wii's are capable of doing a boot2 install of bootmii, but if you can and you do a nand backup, that's all the brick protection you will need for anything you do (nothing else will touch boot2). So if your boot1 is vulnerable and let's you do a boot2 install, get that up and running with a nand backup asap. Then you can try whatever you want to do and in the worst case scenario you would just use that backup and restore your wii to how it was when you made the backup. (save files and all as well).

So yea I would just move steps 3 and 4 up to 1 and 2 then proceed from there. And if you can only install to ios still do that anyways and do a nand backup and then installing preloader will still give you a pretty solid protection against bricks though not quite as close to 100% brick proofing as a boot2 install of bootmii.

10. josho

Newcomer josho Advanced Member

Singapore
    Sorry guys, what does the Preloader actually do?

I know BootMii is a brick protection for Wii, so Nand back up is a program to back up the stuff from the Wii?

Is it necessary to install Boot Mii since I am just playing games and not much into others?