Hacking Do I really need a 64GB SD card to softmod and play backups?

mattlandry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 32GB Wii U. I have a 16GB USB flash drive and only a small SD card. Is there really no way to put CFW on the small SD card and run backups through the flash drive kind of like I do on the original Wii? I've looked into it and everywhere says I require a huge SD card. I'd rather not wait for a cheap SD card to come in the mail for a month or pay out the ass after I just spent $200 on the console. If there is any way around this please let me know. Thanks!

EDIT: Ah sorry guys I just found the answer. Is there any way I can delete this thread? Sorry!

Last edited by mattlandry,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a 32GB Wii U. I have a 16GB USB flash drive and only a small SD card. Is there really no way to put CFW on the small SD card and run backups through the flash drive kind of like I do on the original Wii? I've looked into it and everywhere says I require a huge SD card. I'd rather not wait for a cheap SD card to come in the mail for a month or pay out the ass after I just spent $200 on the console. If there is any way around this please let me know. Thanks!
Since you have a 32GB console, you will need (32GB + 512MB + 512MB + less than a KB + again less than a KB) to make a nand backup, which of course don't fit in 32GB (said backup is optional and in practice you should never need it, but better to have recovery options than not to have them especially since you consider the price of your WiiU important)

Games install FROM the SD to USB or internal storage, a couple (major) games are bigger than 16 GB and 64GB cards are frankly affordable nowadays (paid 21 € for such a microSD two years ago, full size is probably a small bit cheaper)

Likewise a quarter- or half-TB USB2 hard drive to dedicate to the console is less than one original game (and if you only want to install a couple games at a time, you don't even need one thanks to the internal memory), flash drives are strongly NOT recommended for WiiU use

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference