do I need to use saltysd in order to rom hack with a9lh??

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by DarkRioru, Jan 20, 2017.

1. DarkRioru
    OP

DarkRioru Akage Chan's Servent

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    Fluffing Akage Chan's Tail
    I want to have my rom hacks be patches because they would be quicker to add hacks/mods etc. I don't want to extract a cia and install every time I need to modify for a game with newer mods... I heard that salty sd is needed for smash bros and newer games like pokemon SuMo to be modified....

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    No saltysd is not needed but it is so easy and works on old 3ds without repacking so its really recommended.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

3. DarkRioru
    OP

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    so I don't need to repack my rom files to a .romfs or to a cia file to use them?? :O

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you have a n3DS, Sun/Moon and Smash can be modded using NTR-CFW LayeredFS.

5. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Yeah which is why saltysd and layerfs is so recommended. It only replaces modded files.

6. DarkRioru
    OP

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    I tried modding pokemon Y with the neo Y patch with layered fs and it didn't patch it right... it just made the game in japanese

7. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Have you ever used edits on Super Smash Bros. Brawl through Riivolution? SaltySD is pretty much like that, you also should keep in mind where files and folders are, pk3DS can display the directories and such. Once you know that, it's not really difficult. For example, the only ROM mod I have is the Tauros riding theme replaced by Iron Maiden's "The Trooper," all I need, at least for now.

DarkRioru likes this.
  8. DarkRioru
    OP

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    how did you change the music?? I need to know... I have been wanting to make a meme based super mystery dungeon game like forever now...

9. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    If you have saltysd set up, the directory saltysd/SunMoon, and the appropriate code.bin or .ips file, it's as simple as having the directory data/sound in the saltysd directory, the file must be bcstm and it must have the name of the track you want to replace. For example, "bgm_nj_vs_friend.dspadpcm" is that of when you battle Hau.

10. DarkRioru
    OP

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    holy shit, that sounds so easy, a crack induced, laser fried monkey could do it..