Do I need to reformat USB hard drive? TIFU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by FaL0xxo, Aug 11, 2017.

1. FaL0xxo
    OP

FaL0xxo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Need some advice to avoid a lot of work to fix my f*£k up.

I have had a perfectly working set up with a USB hard drive with games installed through wupinstaller-y mod.
    Today I went to install and I got an error reporting no USB drive detected. I foolishly plugged it into my windows machine (don't know what I hoped to achieve) and without thinking pressed to add a MBR (I think thats what it was).

Needless to say that did bugger all and I've since found a few posts suggesting to leave Wiiu unplugged for a few minutes and try again.
    My Wiiu now won't recognise the USB drive unless I format it.

Is there anything I can do to the drive without having to reformat and reinstall a ton of games?

Thanks

Last edited by FaL0xxo, Aug 11, 2017
  2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Nope. Windows jacked your drive. You'll have to reformat

FaL0xxo likes this.
  3. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nope. You had windows reformat your drive, so now you will have to plug it back into your wii u and format from there.

FaL0xxo likes this.
  4. FaL0xxo
    OP

FaL0xxo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your advice guys. I pretty sure the data is still there as windows didn't format the drive but added a MBR. Was hoping I could delete the MBR but no dice.
    Will start over again tomorrow. (sobs quietly)

5. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That's essentially what a quick format is in windows, changing the mbr. Technically your data is still there, but AFAIK we don't have the tools to repair a wii u drive with that kind of problem. And there are tools in windows that can find data on a reformatted drive, but those won't work for wii u drives.